BREAKOUT: Leonard Hankerson Behind the Numbers

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon May 20, 2013 9:04 am

brad7686 wrote:If Garcon and Davis are healthy, guys like Hankerson and Robinson will be given better chances to exploit matchups. I hope one of them overtakes Morgan and gets more chances.

Whats your issue with Morgan? While gimpy, he still led the team in receptions last year. I'd much rather hope for everyone to return 100% healthy and contribute at a high level.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon May 20, 2013 9:25 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
brad7686 wrote:If Garcon and Davis are healthy, guys like Hankerson and Robinson will be given better chances to exploit matchups. I hope one of them overtakes Morgan and gets more chances.

Whats your issue with Morgan? While gimpy, he still led the team in receptions last year. I'd much rather hope for everyone to return 100% healthy and contribute at a high level.

+1

Morgan excels at blocking downfield as well. I'd like to see the those others elevate that part of their game too.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon May 20, 2013 9:40 am

Deadskins wrote:Morgan excels at blocking downfield as well. I'd like to see the those others elevate that part of their game too.

I think that the recent WR threads have been a true revelation. They haven't only shed light on the true production of our WR's. But it's also showing how much we don't really know about them. I'll be the 1st to admit that I was shocked to learn that Morgan led the team in receptions. I was shocked to learn how productive Hank was. I was shocked about how much of potent weapon Davis was before going down.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon May 20, 2013 10:18 am

Totally agree. I think as fans we form this impression of the WRs based on a couple of games from last season. Hankerson may have had less dropped passes for example, but probably a lot of us remember one of those drops was an easy TD against Pittsburgh.

Late in the first quarter, receiver Leonard Hankerson blew a chance for a touchdown. He had his man beat on a crossing pattern, and a pass from Griffin hit him perfectly at the 3-yard line. But the second-year pro let the ball bounce off his hands and land in the grass.

I can't remember any of Garcon's drops, but I sure remember his catch against New Orleans.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon May 20, 2013 10:44 am

riggofan wrote:I can't remember any of Garcon's drops, but I sure remember his catch against New Orleans.

And as fans, this is to be expected! That's normal. But in the face of evidence, we can't ignore what other folks have brought to the table.

If Josh led the team in receptions while not being 100% at ANY point during the season, why hope for him to be surpassed? I hope that he can build upon last year. Heck, it excites me that he did that at 70%. It makes you wonder what he'll do at 100%... What about the amazing heads up play against our second game vs the Giants. When RGIII fumbled (which he does A LOT) and Morgan not only recovers but scored a TD. Morgan was the option on that play, and after RGIII kept it and ran with it, he followed the play step for step. He stayed with the play, he supported his teammates and gave 100% effort. That TD is the difference in winning that game, keeping the streak going, making the playoffs....

We're about to run into a really good problem. Too many play makers and not enough positions on the field.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon May 20, 2013 10:55 am

The Garcon injury can skew the team stats based on rankings last year. If Garcon were healthy, he would have lead the team in receptions, yards, probably every stat. Nonetheless, I agree with the points made here. I like Morgan, I just think that Hankerson offers a greater upside.

If you go back to college, Morgan has always been a minimal touchdown guy. In other words, he is a great complimentary receiver, but Hankerson could become a guy who can score more frequently--a play maker--but he has to prove he can do the other things better than Morgan, which he apparently wasn't able to do just yet.

I hope Morgan is 100% and I hope Hankerson improves. This is a good problem to have though!

HAIL
SPIT HAPPENS!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon May 20, 2013 11:12 am

The Hogster wrote:The Garcon injury can skew the team stats based on rankings last year. If Garcon were healthy, he would have lead the team in receptions, yards, probably every stat.

Point taken. However, historically Garcon is pretty injury prone.

The Hogster wrote:Nonetheless, I agree with the points made here. I like Morgan, I just think that Hankerson offers a greater upside.

I honestly don't disagree/agree. I think both players have more potential to realize. We have yet to see a healthy Morgan and I'm curious to see what he'll bring to the table.

The Hogster wrote:If you go back to college, Morgan has always been a minimal touchdown guy. In other words, he is a great complimentary receiver, but Hankerson could become a guy who can score more frequently--a play maker--but he has to prove he can do the other things better than Morgan, which he apparently wasn't able to do just yet.

I'll have to really look again at Hanks plays. I've never thought of him as a playmaker. He seems to really stumble over his own feet a lot, doesn't seem particulary agile. Heck, the one WR that had a standout jump ball situation was Santana Moss, lololol.

Again, not in disagreement but I'm curious. Could you refresh my memory and point out some plays for me?

The Hogster wrote:I hope Morgan is 100% and I hope Hankerson improves. This is a good problem to have though!HAIL

Agreed.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon May 20, 2013 11:30 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
I'll have to really look again at Hanks plays. I've never thought of him as a playmaker. He seems to really stumble over his own feet a lot, doesn't seem particulary agile. Heck, the one WR that had a standout jump ball situation was Santana Moss, lololol.

Again, not in disagreement but I'm curious. Could you refresh my memory and point out some plays for me?

The Hogster wrote:I hope Morgan is 100% and I hope Hankerson improves. This is a good problem to have though!HAIL

Agreed.

I agree that Hankerson seems to trip over his own feet, a lot. I am hopeful that is a product of his hip injury rather than clumsiness. But, as far as him being a play maker--in college--he never had less than 6 touchdowns in a season in which he started. And, as a senior he broke Michael Irvin's Miami record for Touchdowns in a season with 13. His 4.4 forty time is also the kind of speed you'd want out of a WR. He finds ways to get open more importantly. A lot of his catches are wide open (then he falls over himself) but still.

Check out some of his college highlights. Go to the :41 second mark for an example of his pre-injury agility. Some say hip injuries take a 2 seasons to fully heal. Maybe that was what caused his balance issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUWdlIb4hfU

Here are some of his Redskins highlights. Hopefully a year of health and improvement has him ready to take the leap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ER1fz5WvA
SPIT HAPPENS!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon May 20, 2013 11:33 am

The Hogster wrote:I am hopeful that is a product of his hip injury rather than clumsiness. But, as far as him being a play maker--in college--he never had less than 6 touchdowns in a season in which he started. And, as a senior he broke Michael Irvin's Miami record for Touchdowns in a season with 13. His 4.4 forty time is also the kind of speed you'd want out of a WR. He finds ways to get open more importantly. A lot of his catches are wide open (then he falls over himself) but still.

Good point, I didn't even think to factor in his injury. I agree, that he does get open, it's just his YAC that's an issue.

The Hogster wrote:Check out some of his college highlights. Go to the :41 second mark for an example of his pre-injury agility. Some say hip injuries take a 2 seasons to fully heal. Maybe that was what caused his balance issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUWdlIb4hfU

Here are some of his Redskins highlights. Hopefully a year of health and improvement has him ready to take the leap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ER1fz5WvA

Thanks a lot, I'll check it out as soon as I get home.

If anyone is in danger of being unseated, it's Briscoe. I advocated for him making the team last year, he showed up in preseason but didn't make the most of his chances during the season.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon May 20, 2013 11:50 am

Deadskins wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

+1

Morgan excels at blocking downfield as well. I'd like to see the those others elevate that part of their game too.

My attitude towards Morgan has changed during the off-season because of this and what CLL said about playing hurt.

I wasn't aware of his injury and am looking forward to what he can do at 100%. I just hope he's healed up by then; so many players healing right now.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon May 20, 2013 1:25 pm

This franchise has done an incredibly good job recently adding those players that make the other players here better and creating an atmosphere where everybody understands that they're going to get a shot at making the roster

the competition for roster spots is ONLY based on what you're going to do and not on what you've done - this has made a huge difference in the way plays are run and executed on the practice field and on Sundays

Everyone understands that you earn your plays on both offense and defense and the players are striving to get more opportunities to shine

the WR corp is going to be tough - there are only a few spots available and a number of candidates to fill them
Hankerson has the talent ... he just needs to step it up a notch
"the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths" Gruden on RG3

RG3 needs to learn to read defenses better & utilize his talents and the players around him better

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon May 20, 2013 1:36 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:If anyone is in danger of being unseated, it's Briscoe.

+1
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:13 am

In our system I don't believe he can have a "breakout" year. I feel that in our system receivers are rotated at such a high rate and RG3 spread the ball around somewhat evenly.

There is nothing wrong with spreading it around at all (see New Orleans Saints WR effectiveness). To the average fan or critic you may look at the numbers and think our receivers need to improve, however if you watch the games you will see that we are one of the lowest pass attempt per game teams in the NFL and Kyle/Mike likes to rotate our WRs to keep them fresh. Our running game is the strength of the team and the Shanahans are known for it.

I just feel that he will improve as a player but you may not see it as much in the numbers. He should be more comfortable and you cant forget last he was not healthy during the offseason.

As long as he continues to improve on his route running and catching the football I'm ok with him.

piggie

Postby Bishop Hammer » Thu May 23, 2013 11:56 am

The Hogster wrote:The Garcon injury can skew the team stats based on rankings last year. If Garcon were healthy, he would have lead the team in receptions, yards, probably every stat. Nonetheless, I agree with the points made here. I like Morgan, I just think that Hankerson offers a greater upside.

If you go back to college, Morgan has always been a minimal touchdown guy. In other words, he is a great complimentary receiver, but Hankerson could become a guy who can score more frequently--a play maker--but he has to prove he can do the other things better than Morgan, which he apparently wasn't able to do just yet.

I hope Morgan is 100% and I hope Hankerson improves. This is a good problem to have though!

HAIL

Hankerson's potential as a touchdown force is what I've heard about him. From what I've read it takes a couple of seasons to bring receivers to a playmaker level. Rare are the wr's like Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss who are monsters right out the gate.
I don't have to sell my soul,
He's already in me,
I don't need to sell my soul,
He's already in me.
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored.

Stone Roses
I wanna be adored

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu May 23, 2013 1:32 pm

mastdark81 wrote:In our system I don't believe he can have a "breakout" year. I feel that in our system receivers are rotated at such a high rate and RG3 spread the ball around somewhat evenly.

That's a fair point. Probably more true too if we see the TEs getting more involved this year too.

I'd still argue though that seeing more big plays out of Hankerson this year would qualify as a breakout year for him. If people remember him more this year for big time TDs than they do for dropped balls, that would be huge.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football