Chris Thompson RB

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Chris Thompson RB

Postby DarthMonk » Wed May 15, 2013 8:48 pm

Redskins agreed to terms with No. 154 overall pick RB Chris Thompson on a four-year contract.

Recovering from an October ACL tear, Thompson is questionable for the beginning of training camp. Thompson is a thimble of a football player at 5-foot-7, 192 pounds, but coach Mike Shanahan believes he would have been a first- or second-round pick if not for his injury. That's because of his electric speed. Thompson could eventually make noise as a scat/third-down back, but will most likely be "redshirted" this season.

May 15 - 2:00 PM

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Dangerous runner/receiver combination in the backfield able to make the big play. Comfortable behind a fullback in I-formation, follows off tackle then cuts back inside. Capable swing pass receiver, looks the catch into hands, and utilizes a quick move to make a tackler miss in space. Definitely at his best in the open field. Makes things happen if untouched at the second level, open footwork, and makes tacklers miss with nice burst. Very patient on screen passes but tends to drift to the sideline. If the lane is there, he is a very decisive runner. Gives good effort when attempting to pickup blitzer, dives at inside leg.

WEAKNESSES
Lacks the size to be a bellcow NFL back, and has had problems staying healthy. Carries the ball in the wrong arm too often. First contact usually brings him down, loses footing and upended. Will not always get back to the line of scrimmage when contacted in the backfield. Small and lean frame. Can attempt too many moves in space. Runs like a receiver, striding instead of being efficient with his footwork. Can’t sustain in pass protection or mirror. Takes some really big hits, could be due to his upright stance. Has the most problems when initial line is stopped at the line of scrimmage. Has difficulties creating without some space first.

NFL COMPARISON
Antone Smith

BOTTOM LINE
Two broken vertebrae in his back wasn’t enough to keep Thompson from coming back for his senior year. The diminutive but speedy back led the Seminoles in rushing in 2010 (845 yards, six touchdowns, also 19-155, TD receiving), but struggled with his back throughout his junior season even before suffering the major injury against Wake Forest. If he proves himself healthy enough to take hits after breaking off big runs using his track speed and elusiveness, however, teams will value him as a mid-to-late round chance of pace back with return potential.

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 am

Next Shanahan pro bowl running back.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu May 16, 2013 11:35 am

Yeah this kid is going to do things here. I love his versatility as a receiving threat.

Can't wait to see him in action!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue May 21, 2013 12:04 pm

CSN Washington believes Roy Helu and No. 154 pick RB Chris Thompson are competing for the same roster spot.

The same is true of Evan Royster and No. 228 pick Jawan Jamison.

Thompson and Helu are both change-of-pace type runners, while Royster and Jamison rely more on vision and power. Jamison is the longest shot of the four, but Helu's roster spot will very much be in danger if he doesn't report to camp 100 percent healthy and stay 100 percent healthy.

Source: CSN Washington May 19 - 11:37 AM

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue May 21, 2013 12:08 pm

This may be a battle of whoever stays healthy instead of who wins the job outright.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue May 21, 2013 12:37 pm

DarthMonk wrote:CSN Washington believes Roy Helu and No. 154 pick RB Chris Thompson are competing for the same roster spot.

The same is true of Evan Royster and No. 228 pick Jawan Jamison.

Thompson and Helu are both change-of-pace type runners, while Royster and Jamison rely more on vision and power. Jamison is the longest shot of the four, but Helu's roster spot will very much be in danger if he doesn't report to camp 100 percent healthy and stay 100 percent healthy.

Source: CSN Washington May 19 - 11:37 AM

Source: THN Deadskins April 29 - 8:31 AM :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:37 am

I dont' see Royster making the team this year IF Helu goes injury free.

Royster has better hands and vision but lacks power and speed.

You can count on one of those young guys taking one of our vets out. Most likely the better pass protector.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu May 23, 2013 12:07 pm

IMHO the odd man out is Royster, he simply doesn't have the needed NFL speed. I think the only way Royster stays on this roster is if Helu get's injured again or one of the drafted rookies simply stink up training camp. I also hear that they are still looking at Hightower and want to see how his knee is.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu May 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Rookies, especially 7th round picks, can be stashed on the practice squad pretty easily. I doubt Royster is gone as easily as you suggest.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu May 23, 2013 1:22 pm

I agree with Deadskins. Royster has durability going for him. I think Helu has more to overcome.

BTW Last summer, everyone told us that Alfred Morris would be a practice squad guy.

Postby yupchagee » Fri May 24, 2013 1:27 pm

I can see Thonpson starting the season on PUP. I think he's way behind right now.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri May 24, 2013 1:47 pm

yupchagee wrote:I can see Thonpson starting the season on PUP. I think he's way behind right now.

Way behind in what regard?

He's competing for a roster spot behind someone who can't stay healthy. If anything he's on equal footing. He should be cleared to participate once the real auditions begin.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Postby yupchagee » Fri May 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
yupchagee wrote:I can see Thonpson starting the season on PUP. I think he's way behind right now.

He's competing for a roster spot behind someone who can't stay healthy. If anything he's on equal footing. He should be cleared to participate once the real auditions begin.

From what I have read, his injuties have been worse than Helu's & he isn't able to get reps now. Helu has some experience in the system, he has none.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri May 24, 2013 7:58 pm

yupchagee wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

From what I have read, his injuties have been worse than Helu's & he isn't able to get reps now. Helu has some experience in the system, he has none.

Helu isn't practicing either and his experience from the 2011 means squad if Thompson plays well this off season.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Chris Thompson - RB - Redskins

Redskins rookie RB Chris Thompson was medically cleared for the start of camp.

The fifth-round pick broke his back in an October 2011 game, and tore his left ACL last October 20. The knee recovery went right on or even ahead of schedule. A 5-foot-7, 192-pound scatback with explosive straight-line speed, Thomas is reportedly showing "great initial burst" so far at training camp practices.

Source: Washington Post Jul 26 - 2:27 PM

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football