Who Do You Expect Big Things From?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
#######

Who Do You Expect Big Things From?

Postby The Hogster » Thu May 02, 2013 1:50 pm

The Washington Post has a good article today that asks a question that I would like THN'ers to share their thoughts on. The question is as follows:

"Which Redskins player do you think is going to contribute a lot more this season than conventional wisdom would suggest?

Whether it’s a player bouncing back from injury, a rookie or young player taking his first opportunity and running with it, a veteran playing the role of unsung hero or something completely different, most fans have a few players that they really like for one reason or another, even if the facts don’t necessarily justify that hunch."

What do you all think?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/05/01/which-redskin-are-you-surprisingly-good-play-from-this-season/
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:58 pm

I've got a good feeling about:

Darryl Young: I think he is going to be the forgotten man in the run game/passing game this year with the amount of weapons that could be all over the field. I feel that he will be the easiest "Shoot, we forgot to cover him" guy on the field.

Kerrigan/Orakpo: I'm not sure which one of them, but one of them is going have a breakout-career type year as a result of Orakpo's being back and actually having coverage in the secondary behind them. My money is on Kerrigan because I think offenses believe Orakpo is the more dangerous OLB of the two, leading to blocking scheme shift to his side.

A. Robinson: I know conventional wisdom is that Hankerson will have the breakout year, and I don't disagree. However, I think route running for Robins improves this off season, and he already has good speed. I see him also benefiting even more from the design of the offense and not being P. Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan or Davis in terms of who the defense keys on.

Extra bonus: J. Jenkins. No explanation for it other than another year after his injury, i think he becomes a linchpin in the rise of the Defense to top 10 ranking.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu May 02, 2013 2:06 pm

I agree with you on J. Jenkins. I also think Jordan Reed has a chance to come in and make a splash. Possibly Thompson at RB as a 3rd down/change-of-pace guy.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu May 02, 2013 2:18 pm

emoses14 wrote:I've got a good feeling about:

Darryl Young: I think he is going to be the forgotten man in the run game/passing game this year with the amount of weapons that could be all over the field. I feel that he will be the easiest "Shoot, we forgot to cover him" guy on the field.

Kerrigan/Orakpo: I'm not sure which one of them, but one of them is going have a breakout-career type year as a result of Orakpo's being back and actually having coverage in the secondary behind them. My money is on Kerrigan because I think offenses believe Orakpo is the more dangerous OLB of the two, leading to blocking scheme shift to his side.

A. Robinson: I know conventional wisdom is that Hankerson will have the breakout year, and I don't disagree. However, I think route running for Robins improves this off season, and he already has good speed. I see him also benefiting even more from the design of the offense and not being P. Garcon, Hankerson, Morgan or Davis in terms of who the defense keys on.

Extra bonus: J. Jenkins. No explanation for it other than another year after his injury, i think he becomes a linchpin in the rise of the Defense to top 10 ranking.

I love Young's blocking. I think he'll help jump start the careers of the new RBs we signed in light of that.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu May 02, 2013 2:19 pm

Deadskins wrote:I agree with you on J. Jenkins. I also think Jordan Reed has a chance to come in and make a splash. Possibly Thompson at RB as a 3rd down/change-of-pace guy.

I think Reed is going to amazing right off the bat. I'm really glad we picked this guy up. If anything goes wrong with Davis, we have a very similar threat.

At first I pretty frustrated and scratching my head over this pick; quickly changed my mind when I saw his highlight reel.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu May 02, 2013 4:31 pm

I think Reed is going to show that he's got a lot to offer in this offense ..

actually, I think both Davis & Reed are going to have very good years - I predict we'll have the luxury of offering Davis what we think he's worth not what he thinks he's worth after a very good year ...

there are going to be a lot of veterans available to us next season and with the evaluators we have I'm confident that we'll not be overpaying for 'talent'

I like the concept of staying young and replacing veterans with faster more motivated players

I also agree that Young will contribute a lot at FB
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu May 02, 2013 6:39 pm

I'm going to say LEONARD HANKERSON!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu May 02, 2013 7:34 pm

As for a player returning from injury, I expect big things from:

Brian Orakpo - He should be fully healed and fresh as ever to get after the QB. Ryan Kerrigan went to the Pro Bowl and having them both rushing the passer, with an improved secondary should be the kind of pressure Haslett wants.

As for a rookie player, I expect big things from:

David Amerson, Phillip Thomas & Jordan Reed. Yes, that's just about half of our draft, and I would have included Thompson, but I'm not sure how healthy he will be. In any event. Amerson and Thomas should start. Amerson will have growing pains, but he turns the ball over. I expect Thomas to be immediately better than every other FS we have on the roster. I'll go out on a limb and predict that they combine for 10 turnovers each. I think Jordan Reed will add a new wrinkle. I expect him to average 13 YPC and score 3-5 TDS this year en route to a productive career.

As for an unsung hero, I expect big things from Tom Compton. I think the coaching staff sees something in him which is why we haven't done much to upgrade that position. Polumbus will either be pushed to be better, or replaced--if not this year, then next.

As for an un
SPIT HAPPENS!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu May 02, 2013 7:35 pm

As for a player returning from injury, I expect big things from:

Brian Orakpo - He should be fully healed and fresh as ever to get after the QB. Ryan Kerrigan went to the Pro Bowl and having them both rushing the passer, with an improved secondary should be the kind of pressure Haslett wants.

David Amerson, Phillip Thomas & Jordan Reed. Yes, that's just about half of our draft, and I would have included Thompson, but I'm not sure how healthy he will be. In any event. Amerson and Thomas should start. Amerson will have growing pains, but he turns the ball over. I expect Thomas to be immediately better than every other FS we have on the roster. I'll go out on a limb and predict that they combine for 10 turnovers each. I think Jordan Reed will add a new wrinkle. I expect him to average 13 YPC and score 3-5 TDS this year en route to a productive career.

As for an unsung hero, I expect big things from Tom Compton. I think the coaching staff sees something in him which is why we haven't done much to upgrade that position. Polumbus will either be pushed to be better, or replaced--if not this year, then next.

As for an un
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby yupchagee » Thu May 02, 2013 10:46 pm

I'll go with Thomas & Rambo. I think they will be our starting safeties by mid season.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu May 02, 2013 11:34 pm

The Hogster wrote:As for a player returning from injury, I expect big things from:

As for an un

I think Orakpo and Kerrigan will distract defenses from each other giving both of these guys more opportunities :twisted: Quite lovely.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri May 03, 2013 8:20 am

Our rookie RB's will not only compliment Morris but they'll take our screen game to levels we couldn't imagine last year. They have the ability to really take those screens the distance. Last year, they were nowhere near as effective as they could/should have been.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Fri May 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Ive been saying this for the entire offseason.....Perry Riley is making the pro bowl
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri May 03, 2013 3:03 pm

I expected big things from Tony Blair. But I guess that's off topic?
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri May 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Back on topic: IF either of our recently drafted running backs, make the roster, then I'd expect big things from them. Thompson in particular, could be awesome.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football