2013 UNDRAFTED FREE AGENTS - WAS

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:51 pm

The Hogster wrote:Some guys come in on a tryout basis. They do not count unless they sign contracts. My guess is that Xavier Nixon was signed, but until the team announces it, it's not certain who actually signed and who is just trying out.

But all in all we don't have to get our number down until a certain future date correct? I'm all for bringing in the most players we can. More competition & more possibility of finding a gem.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:22 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Some guys come in on a tryout basis. They do not count unless they sign contracts. My guess is that Xavier Nixon was signed, but until the team announces it, it's not certain who actually signed and who is just trying out.

But all in all we don't have to get our number down until a certain future date correct? I'm all for bringing in the most players we can. More competition & more possibility of finding a gem.

I think the roster limit in the offseason is 90 players. So, we can only carry that amount of players under contract at a given time. If we exceed that number, then someone will have to be released. The tryouts allow us to bring in additional players to see if they are worthy of replacing another person that we have under contract. Rarely happens.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:04 am

according to PFT the Skins have signed five UFA so far. The WR, a C, and a LB.. Nixon wasn't on the list, but they do still have five spots left..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/02/redskins-sign-five-undrafted-free-agents/
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu May 02, 2013 6:38 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:according to PFT the Skins have signed five UFA so far. The WR, a C, and a LB.. Nixon wasn't on the list, but they do still have five spots left..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/02/redskins-sign-five-undrafted-free-agents/

He is one of the 50+ players that was invited to the rookie camp...

That group includes:

Ricky Barnum, OG (Michigan)
Skye Dawson, WR (TCU)
RJ Mattes, OT (N.C. State)
Josh Jarboe, WR (Arkansas State)
Jeremy Kimbrough, MLB (App. State)
Colby Walden, CB (Jacksonville)
Xavier Nixon, OT (Florida)
Steve Greer, ILB (Virginia)
Will Compton, LB (Nebraska)
Emmanuel Ogbuehi, H-Back (Georgia St.)
Jacoby Ashworth, OL (Houston)
T'Sharvin Bell, CB (Auburn)
Kyle Wilborn, C (Troy)
Matt McGloin, QB (Penn State)
Seth Thomas, CB (McNeese State)
Rod Chishold, RB (App. State)
Kenny Miles, RB (South Carolina)
Wade Jacobson, RT (Washington State)
Andrew Seumalo, DT (Oregon State)
Brandon Sharpe, LB (Syracuse)
Ryan Aplin, QB (Arkansas State)
Devonte Christopher, WR (Utah)
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu May 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Every time I watch Dominick Reyes' highlight video, I fail to see why he hasn't at least been invited to a team for a tryout. What is there that isn't at least worth having him come in on a tryout basis? I trust our scouting department, but to totally overlook this guy is puzzling. Maybe there is a medical or other issue that the teams know about but the fans don't. With what teams do with TE's these days, a 6'4 safety who can cover and hit like this isn't something you just turn away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eYn7XOb0Q5A
SPIT HAPPENS!!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu May 02, 2013 1:08 pm

The Hogster wrote:I trust our scouting department, but to totally overlook this guy is puzzling.

Plus the scouts of 31 other teams. Is it possible that a good player might be overlooked by all? Yes, it is possible. Legend has it that Jerry Rice was picked up only because coach Walsh decided to stay late to watch a low level college game on tv. :shock:

But it is also possible that our own Youtube scouting abilities and qualifications are not as great as we would like them to be in the real world beyond our limited resources. :lol:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
But it is also possible that our own Youtube scouting abilities and qualifications are not as great as we would like them to be in the real world beyond our limited resources. :lol:

How dare you, sir! How dare you?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu May 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
The Hogster wrote:I trust our scouting department, but to totally overlook this guy is puzzling.

Plus the scouts of 31 other teams. Is it possible that a good player might be overlooked by all? Yes, it is possible. Legend has it that Jerry Rice was picked up only because coach Walsh decided to stay late to watch a low level college game on tv. :shock:

We obviously can't armchair GM with much precision, but what you see is what you see. This guy has talent and ability that is undeniable, especially in relation to other players who at least get a tryout. He plays at a tiny school, but at least 2 of his teammates were signed as UDFA. Something is not adding up. I trust what my eyes tell me, and this guy can play well enough to at least get a tryout. My guess is there is something that has removed him from team's boards--whether it is a medical or other issue. Hopefully someone gives him a chance because I have a feeling that he is a good find.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Thu May 02, 2013 2:19 pm

I agree on Reyes. Kid looks like a BEAST!!! I am surprised he hasn't gotten a call. There must be some reason. His twitter feed (https://twitter.com/DomReyes) has lots of people supporting him, and he seems lost as to why nothing has happened. Maybe the highlights were against very sad teams, and he didn't show out when playing tougher competition or something.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu May 02, 2013 2:24 pm

The Hogster wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:

We obviously can't armchair GM with much precision, but what you see is what you see. This guy has talent and ability that is undeniable, especially in relation to other players who at least get a tryout. He plays at a tiny school, but at least 2 of his teammates were signed as UDFA. Something is not adding up. I trust what my eyes tell me, and this guy can play well enough to at least get a tryout. My guess is there is something that has removed him from team's boards--whether it is a medical or other issue. Hopefully someone gives him a chance because I have a feeling that he is a good find.

I couldn't agree with you more. I mean the videos scream out his ability as there's a consistency in every hit: guy runs in his direct, Reyes hits guy, guy goes airborne in the opposite direction, Reyes just calm jogs away.

My fear is that this is some kind of promotion failure. Kinda hard to believe with all the talk about this kid w/ the Redskins, but it just seems that no one knows about him (well, sorta).

His twitter page says "I just don't get it...Depth for Hire". Feel so bad for this kid, he DESERVES at least an invite to camp...I mean its an INVITE!!

**Sigh**

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu May 02, 2013 2:27 pm

The Hogster wrote:Every time I watch Dominick Reyes' highlight video, I fail to see why he hasn't at least been invited to a team for a tryout. What is there that isn't at least worth having him come in on a tryout basis? I trust our scouting department, but to totally overlook this guy is puzzling. Maybe there is a medical or other issue that the teams know about but the fans don't. With what teams do with TE's these days, a 6'4 safety who can cover and hit like this isn't something you just turn away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eYn7XOb0Q5A

Hogster I wouldn't think it would be a medical issue or the likes because there wouldn't be so much confusion as to "why" between him and his friends. Good point none the less; has to be SOMETHING right?

Then again, maybe everyone around him is in denial if there is some obvious reason.

Only thing I can think of off hand is his majoring in Information Tech. Maybe they feel he's pursuing that more than someone truly passionate about becoming an NFL player :?

In an interview he mentioned that as his backup plan and he did seem a bit passionate about it...not sure if that has anything to do with anything though.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu May 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:Nixon is really intriguing. The only real knock on him I've heard is that he's lazy and doesn't play with passion...

That certainly sounds like something that can be fixed and is worth gambling on. Being given a chance to play football for a living, surrounded by passionate players who put football first, a division champion team... This could be a great environment for him.

Anybody else have any feedback on Xavier Nixon? I was reading a little about him today and agree he seemed like one of the more intriguing players among that UDFAs.

6-6, 314 lbs and he's been playing LT against some of the best in the SEC for four years?

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu May 02, 2013 3:00 pm

riggofan wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:Nixon is really intriguing. The only real knock on him I've heard is that he's lazy and doesn't play with passion...

That certainly sounds like something that can be fixed and is worth gambling on. Being given a chance to play football for a living, surrounded by passionate players who put football first, a division champion team... This could be a great environment for him.

Anybody else have any feedback on Xavier Nixon? I was reading a little about him today and agree he seemed like one of the more intriguing players among that UDFAs.

6-6, 314 lbs and he's been playing LT against some of the best in the SEC for four years?

6'6" 314lbs? Dude just has to fall over on people...neutralized instantly lol

Postby yupchagee » Thu May 02, 2013 10:59 pm

1niksder wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:according to PFT the Skins have signed five UFA so far. The WR, a C, and a LB.. Nixon wasn't on the list, but they do still have five spots left..

He is one of the 50+ players that was invited to the rookie camp...

That group includes:

Skye Dawson, WR (TCU)
Jeremy Kimbrough, MLB (App. State)
Xavier Nixon, OT (Florida)
Will Compton, LB (Nebraska)
Emmanuel Ogbuehi, H-Back (Georgia St.)
Jacoby Ashworth, OL (Houston)
Kyle Wilborn, C (Troy)

The list on redskins.com does not include:

They me camp invites, not signed.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Fri May 03, 2013 7:01 am

Several posters are mixing a few signed players with most players invited for a try out this week. Most lists were issued before there was official word from the FO, most news relied on tweets and interviews. So, I am not surprised that there are different lists of players posted in this thread.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... t-signees/

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events ... 60ee551885
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football