Is Cooley completely finished?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Not sure this is news but ...

Free agent Chris Cooley has yet to hear from the Redskins, but isn't interested in playing for other teams.

"I have no clue (if I'll be back), but you can ask (GM) Bruce Allen or (coach) Mike Shanahan," Cooley said Tuesday. Allen said in March that Cooley was drawing interest from other teams, but it's apparently not reciprocal. The most likely scenario could be a repeat of 2012, where Cooley remained on the street until a need arose for the Redskins.

Source: WUSA9.com Apr 16 - 6:24 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Cooley is my idle, what a passionate doode. His loyalty, particularly in this day and age is a great thing to whitness. Hope to see him back even if its a non roster position.
Your my boy Cooo!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:53 pm

Thank God... the REAL CKRG3 is back... and I can't understand a word he says... I was getting worried. :wink:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Rockin; it Old School. Leterally.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:44 am

As I have said Cooley is done and won't be back, best case is he signs as a coaching intern. Other than that he will not be on our roster this year. Get over it and move on....

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:11 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:As I have said Cooley is done and won't be back, best case is he signs as a coaching intern.

"Best case" for Cooley is that we have 1-2 injured TEs and they bring him back on board just like they did last year. There's no reason that couldn't happen as long as he stays in playing shape.

Other than that he will not be on our roster this year. Get over it and move on....

Meh. He might not be back, but who do you see that hasn't "moved on"? It's not like anyone thinks he could be a 1,000-yard, 10 TD guy if we just gave him a chance.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:22 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:As I have said Cooley is done and won't be back, best case is he signs as a coaching intern.

"Best case" for Cooley is that we have 1-2 injured TEs and they bring him back on board just like they did last year. There's no reason that couldn't happen as long as he stays in playing shape.

Other than that he will not be on our roster this year. Get over it and move on....

Meh. He might not be back, but who do you see that hasn't "moved on"? It's not like anyone thinks he could be a 1,000-yard, 10 TD guy if we just gave him a chance.

Seriously at this juncture I would rather have a rookie take the roster spot. Cooley is simply too slow and isn't worth the time, or cap space. People need to realize this isn't 2005 anymore Cooley isn't even close to what he once was. The man is so slow he can't stop quick at this point in his career......

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:49 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

Seriously at this juncture I would rather have a rookie take the roster spot. Cooley is simply too slow and isn't worth the time, or cap space. People need to realize this isn't 2005 anymore Cooley isn't even close to what he once was. The man is so slow he can't stop quick at this point in his career......

Like irnbru pointed out,
What PEOPLE are you talking to? We all know Coooley hasnt got.much hope, but then again special teams and third down guys don't really need to be "fast" so long as they know the game. I doubt he gets a spot, if so it'd be a hb/ te/fb back up. While I agree he won't get a spot, I don't think he is as done as you make him out to be. Other teams seem to agree with me too...
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:30 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

Like irnbru pointed out,
What PEOPLE are you talking to? We all know Coooley hasnt got.much hope, but then again special teams and third down guys don't really need to be "fast" so long as they know the game. I doubt he gets a spot, if so it'd be a hb/ te/fb back up. While I agree he won't get a spot, I don't think he is as done as you make him out to be. Other teams seem to agree with me too...

Many people are still not understanding that Cooley is old and past his prime. As an example the person that created this thread first and foremost. It's like a national day of mourning when it comes to Cooley. Let it go!!! He's done!! He had a decent career and is well liked and respected. :shock:

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:45 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

Like irnbru pointed out,

Many people are still not understanding that Cooley is old and past his prime. As an example the person that created this thread first and foremost. It's like a national day of mourning when it comes to Cooley. Let it go!!! He's done!! He had a decent career and is well liked and respected. :shock:

He's not really that old tho...

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Cooley is not likely to make the roster but that does not mean that 'he's done' ...

Chris Cooley deserves more than that
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:31 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Many people are still not understanding that Cooley is old and past his prime. As an example the person that created this thread first and foremost. It's like a national day of mourning when it comes to Cooley. Let it go!!! He's done!! He had a decent career and is well liked and respected. :shock:

Exactly! Which is why you should let it go that folks like him and respect his loyalty to the team. No reason to knock him, or the fans that would like to have him be part of the team. :idea:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:47 pm

He's not really that old tho...

He's not old-old, but he has a lot of football miles on him. Remember when he, Moss, and Portis WERE the offense? Also, it's not like he was a nimble 4.4 guy who could afford to lose a step or two, he was always on the slower side and relied on his football instincts and brains to find openings and make plays. I think he's probably lost too many steps to make up for.

That said, I wouldn't be too worried if he had to start a game in a pinch. Like the song: "not as good as he once was, but as good once as he ever was"? Wishful thinking? :D
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:57 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Many people are still not understanding that Cooley is old and past his prime.

You can't be serious.

As an example the person that created this thread first and foremost.

You mean this post?

burgngold4life wrote:Just wondering if he'd be worth giving one last chance at being a utility back/hybrid blocker type dude, seeing as how he has familiarity w/ our offensive system & gameplan.

I have always loved Cooley, & he'll pretty much play for 100 bucks a game.

Hurts seeing his skills dwindle down to next to nothing.

What are ur honest thoughts on him, even in the NFL in general?

That's what you call "not understanding that Cooley is old and past his prime"? :roll:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Taking the debate over his skills aside, from a pure numbers standpoint--the 3rd Tight End rarely does anything other than contribute on Special Teams. Chris Cooley doesn't. Niles Paul does.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football