Garcon: "I can't say I'll be 100 percent . . ."

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Garcon: "I can't say I'll be 100 percent . . ."

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:13 am

Uh oh.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... h-to-play/

Garcon says he’ll be ‘healthy enough to play’

Wide receiver Pierre Garcon said in a televised interview Thursday that he’ll be sufficiently healthy to play for the Redskins in the 2013 season but he still might not be at full capacity.

“I’ll be healthy enough to play,” Garcon said during an appearance on the NFL Network, according to a transcript provided by the league-owned TV channel. “I can’t say I’ll be 100 percent, but I’ll be back out there helping the team in any way possible.”

Garcon said previously he would not undergo surgery for the torn ligament near the second toe in his right foot that plagued him last season. He said during Thursday’s TV appearance that it’s unclear how fully he will participate in offseason practices with the Redskins.

“I’ll be rehabbing and doing whatever I’m able to do,” Garcon said. “The trainers will let me know and we won’t try to win a Super Bowl in April, but we’ll try to move ahead.”

Garcon has said repeatedly since hurting his foot last season that he wanted to avoid surgery, in part because he’d been given no guarantees by doctors that surgery would solve the problem. He played 10 of the Redskins’ 16 regular season games last season, finishing with 44 catches for 633 yards and four touchdowns.

The Redskins had a 9-1 record in the regular season games started by Garcon, who was signed as a free agent last offseason.

“It was just that we had more weapons on the field,” Garcon told the NFL Network. “It wasn’t anything I did particularly. Mike Shanahan and Kyle Shanahan did a great job of game planning and I just did my part. They brought me over to make plays and help the team win, and that’s what I take pride in doing and that’s happened. It’s all up to coaches. … Without Robert [Griffin III], without Alfred [Morris], there is no 9-1. I need the offensive line. We need the running backs.”
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:25 am

I saw and heard the interview. He also said he will be ready to start the season.

Translation: He has not get rid of the problem completely but he will start the season and he has done a lot of rehabilitation work. I am reasonably confident he will be fine.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:40 am

:? :? :-k

I am not sure exactly what in the world this means as far as his performance and availability over the course of the year. Suppose we'll just have to wait and see?

Not sure I get why neither surgery nor some other non-surgery rehab is unable to fix this.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:01 am

emoses14 wrote:Not sure I get why neither surgery nor some other non-surgery rehab is unable to fix this.

Who said that? My understanding before now was that there is a surgery to fix it, but that Garcon has had personal hesitations about going under and/or being cut.

This article says Garcon claims he couldn't get a "guarantee" from a doctor, but just what that means isn't clear.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:03 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
emoses14 wrote:Not sure I get why neither surgery nor some other non-surgery rehab is unable to fix this.

Who said that? My understanding before now was that there is a surgery to fix it, but that Garcon has had personal hesitations about going under and/or being cut.

This article says Garcon claims he couldn't get a "guarantee" from a doctor, but just what that means isn't clear.

I remember reading that there was no guarantee that surgery would resolve the issue. That alleged fact in conjunction with his reluctance to go under the knife resulted in his decision. I believe...
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:36 am

Is there ever a guarantee? Whatever assessments the doctors made is between them, Garcon, and the Redskins, but I'd be surprised it it was a genuinely risky prospect.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:44 am

Irn-Bru wrote:Is there ever a guarantee? Whatever assessments the doctors made is between them, Garcon, and the Redskins, but I'd be surprised it it was a genuinely risky prospect.

To varying degree's, yes. I'd imagine so.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:51 am

Irn-Bru wrote:Is there ever a guarantee? Whatever assessments the doctors made is between them, Garcon, and the Redskins, but I'd be surprised it it was a genuinely risky prospect.
Look, the worst case for this is that he'll have pain. I don't expect any deterioration from his performance in the last half of last year... which was pretty damned good.

It's not simply a matter of "guarantees"... Surgery has risks, many of which can result in extended recovery, and even career ending events. Garcon assessed the possible gain from surgery as not sufficient to assume the risks.

I have no problem with this. As Mike noted early in the tale of Garcon's injury, this may be largely about his ability to tolerate pain. It is what it is... a painful inconvenience. It will affect his performance if he lets it. It will not affect his performance if he does not.

Much ado... yada... IMHO.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:12 am

I read his comment about no guarantees that surgery would fix the problem not quite that literally. I mean, there clearly is no such thing as a guaranteed fix, right?

So without the followup question of "Pierre, what do you mean the doctors could not guarantee resolution through surgery?", I'm left PRESUMING that what they actually told him was that surgery and rehab had the same general prognosis. IF THAT IS TRUE, I certainly understand his decision.

What I don't understand is why neither option has enough of a positive chance (in his mind) to equal a guarantee from the doctors, in his parlance.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby SKINS#1 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:31 pm

Whatever the excuse may be, if he doesn't perform this yr. the Redskins will be in a better position to replace him for the 2014 season.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:56 pm

Just my two cents, sounds like it will be the same as last year. He'll just play through the pain.

That said, I have my heart set now on drafting a safety in Round 2 and Swope in Round 3 if he's around.

Garcon's condition unclear (to us anyway), and Moss' unknown amount of years he has left, we need to develop more WRs.

If we don't, expect a sequel of last year sooner than later...sorry, needs to be said.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Yet another player NOT wanting to go the surgery route.....
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm not saying Garcon has the following condition, but it's an example where there is a surgical option, but it's not a very good one. Plus an example that feet and toes are just weird.

I have a chronic toe condition called sesamoiditis, related to inflammation behind the big toe. It's mostly resolved through rest and shoe inserts. However, it was ridiculously painful when it flared up...kinda hard to walk or run without bending the big toe. When I asked the orthopedic surgeon if there was any way I could fix it surgically, his response was that it was a last resort. From what I recall, the outcomes of the surgery aren't great; there's a low probability he could fix the thing overall, a somewhat greater probability he'd create a different issue (the big toe will pronate away from the foot), and the largest probability that essentially nothing will happen.

I chose not to get the surgery. Sure, there's a low chance it could get fixed...but there was a really good chance that I'd have gone through the process, including anesthesia, physical rehab, etc., and...nothing would have changed. There are a lot of similar surgeries where there is a process...with limited positive outcomes (see TMJ surgeries also). Not everything is easily fixable with the knife, especially when a load bearing joint is involved.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:04 pm

PulpExposure wrote:I have a chronic toe condition called sesamoiditis, related to inflammation behind the big toe.

You need to stop wearing those high heels. :shock:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:09 am

tribeofjudah wrote:Yet another player NOT wanting to go the surgery route.....

What's this supposed to mean? This is NOT a Landry situation. Garcon was able to play through the pain with no noticable drop off in performance. Landry... not so much. Garcon played half the season with the injury... Landry lost most of two seasons with his. Garcon has an injury that is not readily repaired by surgery, AND has a poor recovery time, if repaired.
One injury is NOT the same as another, and surgery IS NOT surgery... you cannot say "folks have their knee tendons repaired and are starting rehab the next day, so why not a lousy toe joint?" Like hands, feet are a different situation. PulpExposure's example works here.

Would you be happy if he got the surgery, and lost the season because he was not able to run? There is a MUCH higher likelihood of that with a foot than with a knee.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football