CAP

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

CAP

Postby aswas71788 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:56 am

I have always wondered about this mysterious CAP. There is one of the best explanations I have read at

www.csnwashington.com/football-washingt ... raft-picks

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Almost ago in another thread....

1niksder wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
1niksder wrote:Considering the Skins don't have a first round pick most of the draft picks won't be in the top 51

So basically, we don't need any cap space to sign our draft picks. Is that correct?

I think we'd need cap space for prorated signing bonuses for any rookies before the season starts by the rule of 51.

Under the new CBA, there is a rookie allocation for each team based on draft picks and position. So they will need the cap space to meet this year's allocation... In addition to staying under the cap with the top 51 cap hits. :shock:

DarthMonk wrote:
...the Rule of 51, which dictates that, from the beginning of the league year in early March until the beginning of the season, only the top 51 “salaries” (including base salaries, roster bonuses, likely to be earned incentive, etc) and all pro-rata shares of bonus money of all players – including those outside of the top 51 - count toward the team’s overall Cap.

After the season starts, any of those rookies who'd made the team would have low (rookie min) salaries which would actually reduce our cap number since they'd be replacing guys with higher salaries.

So I think we'd need in the neighborhood of a million in cap space going into the draft, certainly less than if we had a 1st round pick ... I think.

1nik?

The signing bonus prorations that fall outside of the top 51 is always included when talking about the rule of 51. Currently Gettis, Morris, Crawford, and Bernstine have cap hits that fall outside the rule of 51 but their combined pro-rations from signing bonuses count $113,750 against the current cap. What will also count when the season starts will be the salaries of the 8 man practice squad. Every FO in the league has space set aside (or a plan to get space) for this group. Last year's group ate up close to a million dollars in cap space.

Here's what the team is looking at based on how teams were allocated since the new CBA kicked in

These amounts are based on where the Skins are slotted to draft...

21st pick in the second Rd = 4 yrs/3.85M or $700K against the 2013 cap
23rd pick in the third Rd = 4 yrs/2.77M or $540K against the 2013 cap
22nd in the 4th = 4 yrs/2.59M or $510K against the 2013 cap
21st and 29th in the fifth = 4 yrs/2.35M or $450K and 4 yrs/2.3M or $445K against the 2013 cap
23rd in the sixth = 4 yrs/2.26M or $430K against the 2013 cap
22nd in the last round = 4 yrs/2.21M or $410K against the 2013 cap

I'm pretty sure $4M will do it but it could be as low as $3.25M needed.

The Rams will have to allocate about $1.46M in cap space for the pick we sent them last off-season.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ

Re: CAP

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:50 pm

aswas71788 wrote:I have always wondered about this mysterious NFL SALARY CAP

if you ever need information about the salary cap and how it pertains to the Redskins - the ONLY person to consult is 1niksder

most everyone else PROBABLY got the information from him in the first place :lol:

there have been a number of links to his 'writings' recently - probably in the salary cap thread :twisted:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:07 pm

1niksder wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
1niksder wrote:Considering the Skins don't have a first round pick most of the draft picks won't be in the top 51

So basically, we don't need any cap space to sign our draft picks. Is that correct?

I think we'd need cap space for prorated signing bonuses for any rookies before the season starts by the rule of 51.

Under the new CBA, there is a rookie allocation for each team based on draft picks and position. So they will need the cap space to meet this year's allocation... In addition to staying under the cap with the top 51 cap hits. :shock:

So with this info, and us only having $30,000 left, and re-signing Chris Baker today, we must have some other restructurings in the works. Have you heard anything?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:06 pm

Skins will need about $215,000 in Cap room to sign their draft picks <<<< that's another link to the full article that aswas71788 highlighted in the OP and where you can find this:

So, they will have to clear over $3.5 million in cap space? That seems like a tall task for a team counting every dollar.

The good news is that they don’t have to clear out nearly that much due to the rule of 51.

From the beginning of the league year (the day free agency starts) through the final cuts before the start of the regular season, only a team’s top 51 cap numbers count against the salary cap. That is how a team is able to carry 90 players on its offseason and training camp roster at a minimum salary of $405,000 and still stay under the cap.

When a team signs a player to a contract with a cap hit that puts it in the top 51 on the team, the player with cap hit number 51 is knocked out off of the cap number.

For example, DeAngelo Hall signed a contract that counted $1.25 million against the 2013 cap. When his contract was added, the contract of Richard Crawford, which carries a cap hit of $496,000 became No. 52 on the list and was removed from the cap calculation. So, the Redskins only had to clear $754,000 of cap space $1,250,000 - $496,000) to fit in Hall’s contract.

As of today, the four lowest cap numbers on the Redskins belong to players with cap hits between $530,500 and $555,000. The bottom five draft picks’ contracts, the picks from No. 119 on down, have cap hits lower than $530,500. Therefore, when those contracts are signed they will no add anything to the offseason cap number. In other words, the Redskins do not need to create any cap room to sign their last five picks.

The top two picks will go into the calculation. They total $1.296 million in 2013 cap hits. When those deals are signed, they will knock the bottom two cap figures off of the cap calculation. If that happened today, a total of $1.085 million would come off of the cap number. So those two contracts would cost a net of $211,000.

The $211,000 represents the total amount that the Redskins would have to clear off of their cap to sign their draft class of 2013 if they were signing those players today.

:shock:
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:59 am

Deadskins wrote:
1niksder wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

So with this info, and us only having $30,000 left, and re-signing Chris Baker today, we must have some other restructurings in the works. Have you heard anything?

They don't need to restructure anyone due to Baker signing his tender, because once the Redskins tendered him, $1,323,000 was set aside by rule and had to remain available until Baker signed the offer or signed with a new team.

They may need to restructure a player or two, or they may release someone.

Brian Orakpo's release would free up $2,979,000, Josh Wilson would free up $4M, and Chris Chester would yeild $1.9M
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 am

emoses14 wrote:Skins will need about $215,000 in Cap room to sign their draft picks <<<< that's another link to the full article that aswas71788 highlighted in the OP and where you can find this:

I'm coming up with just under three times that amount to sign all of the drafted rookies... only David Amerson's cap hit will impact the top 51 with a year one hit of about $750K he'll replace a player in the top 51 that has a hit of $555K, pushing the cap up $195K. They also have to account for all pro-rated bonuses of players not in the top 51 (currently at almost $114K).

Based on last season's SB for rookies with a slight increase the Skins are looking at a additional $430K.

So this year's draft class will cost around $625K in cap space... This doesn't include any sign bonus money they pay out for un-drafted rookies

With Josh Wilson's restructure, if the Skins had all of their drafted rookies signed they would have about $1,375,030 under the cap :shock: :D :P
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 am

1niksder wrote:With Josh Wilson's restructure, if the Skins had all of their drafted rookies signed they would have about $1,375,030 under the cap :shock: :D :P

WOW. Hats off to our GM and cap guru. What an offseason.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:59 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
1niksder wrote:With Josh Wilson's restructure, if the Skins had all of their drafted rookies signed they would have about $1,375,030 under the cap :shock: :D :P

Definitely amazing. I don't think this penalty is hindering our efforts as much as Mara would have liked.

If anything, it's forced more creativity from our GM. I believe this has really propelled us forward for the 2014 season, post free agency.

Looking forward to 2014, there's some great guys that will be available.

Danario Alexander - He could be a huge threat for us.
Nnamdi Asomugha
Dominique Rodger-Cromartie
Aqib Talib - I think he'll come here next year.
Ben Tate - he would be an AMAZING backup to Morris.
Justin Smith - I think we could use a defensive force on the line.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:20 am

1niksder wrote:
emoses14 wrote:Skins will need about $215,000 in Cap room to sign their draft picks <<<< that's another link to the full article that aswas71788 highlighted in the OP and where you can find this:

I'm coming up with just under three times that amount to sign all of the drafted rookies... only David Amerson's cap hit will impact the top 51 with a year one hit of about $750K he'll replace a player in the top 51 that has a hit of $555K, pushing the cap up $195K. They also have to account for all pro-rated bonuses of players not in the top 51 (currently at almost $114K).

Based on last season's SB for rookies with a slight increase the Skins are looking at a additional $430K.

So this year's draft class will cost around $625K in cap space... This doesn't include any sign bonus money they pay out for un-drafted rookies

With Josh Wilson's restructure, if the Skins had all of their drafted rookies signed they would have about $1,375,030 under the cap :shock: :D :P

YOU. DA. MAN!!!

I agree with Irn, hats off to our FO. Plus an extra tip of the cap to them for drafting players (RGIII in particular) that have so drastically changed this franchises attitude and outlook, that guys want WANT to give up some of there cash for the chance to stay here. I still can't believe even though Wilson is now the 3rd guy to actually say it in print after taking money off the table!

I agree with CLL, too. 2014 is going to dawn with a juggernaut in the B&G.

Can't. Wait.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Postby 1niksder » Sat May 18, 2013 4:01 pm

1niksder wrote:

Update

Tight End Jordan Reed is the only rookie that remains unsiigned, the TH.n cap page has been updated and is only missing Reed's pro-rated signing bonus figures (and that will not push him into the top ). So... By my numbers, with Reed's bonus allocation ($150K max) for 2013 the Redskins currently have a little over $1,125,000 under the cap.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat May 18, 2013 11:22 pm

What outstanding management of the cap under the farce imposed by Mara... I'll bet he's just seething! Well done, FO!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:51 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

Definitely amazing. I don't think this penalty is hindering our efforts as much as Mara would have liked.

If anything, it's forced more creativity from our GM. I believe this has really propelled us forward for the 2014 season, post free agency.

Nnamdi Asomugha

Ben Tate ran me over in a high school game. It hurt. He fell down like 8 yards later though, so I'm counting it as a tackle versus an NFL player
No Pressure, No Diamonds

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon May 20, 2013 7:13 am

Countertrey wrote:What outstanding management of the cap under the farce imposed by Mara... I'll bet he's just seething! Well done, FO!

+1
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon May 20, 2013 9:43 am

brad7686 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

Nnamdi Asomugha

Ben Tate ran me over in a high school game. It hurt. He fell down like 8 yards later though, so I'm counting it as a tackle versus an NFL player

It wasn't Ben Tate but that description sounds very much like the best tackle I ever made. On a kickoff the rest of my team acted like matadors. I was the last guy. The returner was all high knees. I took him head on and got trampled. I ended up on my back about 5 to 10 yards downfield. He was on top of me. It hurt. I saw stars. I probably sustained a mild concussion. The good news is he slowed near me and went down relatively easily every time he came near me after that on plays from scrimmage.

Good tackle, bro.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football