Former WVU QB Pat White Signed

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:12 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Well I have to disagree. Just because they are both running QBs does not mean they are the same caliber of player.

Never said they were. But to deny similar skill sets is silly.

HEROHAMO wrote:I actually think Pat White has more potential then Jackson has.

Me too ... well ... maybe. He (White) is a little younger and probably a little faster though his arm is probably not as strong. Jackson is clearly more developed at this point.

HEROHAMO wrote:Tavaris has already proven he is not a starting caliber QB. I think with the right coaching Pat could be successful maybe even become a starter some day on another team.

Jackson has started in the NFL. He'll probably start for Buffalo this year. His career numbers (59%, 38 TD, 35 INT) say he's essentially a Rex (55%, 56 TD, 60 INT) with a much stronger arm and the ability to run - fast and elusively.

This is my claim: Had we signed Jackson a few months ago most of us would have been caught off guard (like with White) and our comments and conjectures would be very similar to what we are seeing in this thread. For instance, we'd probably talk about how he was finally going to get good coaching, run scout team, be used creatively, etc. We' mostly be on board - just like most of us are for White.

Of course, we'd also have the head-scratching 4-QB questions followed by quotes with explanations.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:42 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Tavaris has already proven he is not a starting caliber QB. I think with the right coaching Pat could be successful maybe even become a starter some day on another team.

Jackson has started in the NFL. He'll probably start for Buffalo this year. His career numbers (59%, 38 TD, 35 INT) say he's essentially a Rex (55%, 56 TD, 60 INT) with a much stronger arm and the ability to run - fast and elusively..
Apples and Oranges.... Having started DOES NOT make one a starting caliber QB....

DarthMonk wrote:This is my claim: Had we signed Jackson a few months ago most of us would have been caught off guard (like with White) and our comments and conjectures would be very similar to what we are seeing in this thread. For instance, we'd probably talk about how he was finally going to get good coaching, run scout team, be used creatively, etc. We' mostly be on board - just like most of us are for White.

Of course, we'd also have the head-scratching 4-QB questions followed by quotes with explanations.

No. First of all, Jackson has decided that he is a quarterback... and will likely not be satisfied with being cast into any "hybrid" or "non-quarterback" role.
Second, Jackson has already demonstrated his ceiling... I don't see him in a back-up role, as I don't see that he has that ability. White is unknown, true... however, he is desperate, and will not buck any role offered him. I, for one, would be unhappy, were Tavaris Jackson a Redskin.
Third, Jackson would be considerably more expensive.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:28 pm

^ I know there are differences and similarities. I'm not saying they are the same person. I already addressed relative cost.

I'm simply saying we'd all be reacting in almost the same way had we signed Jackson instead.

I think many of us have a tendency to knee-jerk agree with Shanny's moves while many others have a tendency to knee-jerk the other way.

Had I started a thread about signing White 2 months ago I probably would have gotten a lot of this

:hmm:

and this

ROTFALMAO

as well as good old-fashioned pillorying. Do you really doubt that?

It's kinda funny. White may turn out to be a great addition. He has experienced a lot a failure and all of a sudden he's this inspired pick-up that can potentially help our team in so many ways. I hope he is.

BTW - whether or not Jackson is starting caliber is beside the point.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:25 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I'm simply saying we'd all be reacting in almost the same way had we signed Jackson instead.

I think many of us have a tendency to knee-jerk agree with Shanny's moves while many others have a tendency to knee-jerk the other way.

Had I started a thread about signing White 2 months ago I probably would have gotten a lot of this

and this

ROTFALMAO

Well... you didn't, so we won't know...

It's kinda funny. White may turn out to be a great addition. He has experienced a lot a failure and all of a sudden he's this inspired pick-up that can potentially help our team in so many ways. I hope he is.
I have a feeling that they are trying to stay ahead of the learning curve of other teams as they attempt to account for the RG3 factor... I don't know if White is an answer... but I do think there's more to this than a camp arm.

perhaps... but you were certainly willing to engage that argument a couple of responses above... :-s

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:45 pm

Pat White offers this franchise something - Tavaris Jackson offers this franchise very little

some might think that Tavaris Jackson is a 'starting' QB - most of us do not see ANY potential in ANYTHING to do with Tavaris Jacckson ....

Pat White is an option - Tavaris Jackson is NOT

one wants an opportunity the other thinks he is something that he is NOT :wink:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:36 am

Though I understand everyone saying what he can do and add and all the mushy inspirational stuff.. he's a bum.

I'd take Tavaris Jackson over him in a half second, keeping in mind he's also.. a bum.

That is all, thank you.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:12 am

Jackson is more of a QB than White...

White is more of an athelete/utility player than Jackson...

White is being brought in to mimic RGIII and to assist the rest of the team in staying fresh with RGIII's version of the offense. But it's my opinion that White, IF SUCCESSFUL AT IT is being brought in to be a utility player for us. He'll add a wrinkle and LASTLY to be an emergency third QB.

Bringing Jackson in would muddy who the second string QB should be. Why would you go from a "RGIII offense", to a scaled back "Kirk Offense" and then back to a quasi "RGIII offense" with your third QB? It could be argued that you might as well make Jackson the number two and keep the offense more similar to RGIII's version. It could also be argued that Kirk can run enough of the "RGIII offense" to make Jackson a worthless addition because Kirk is the better quarterback. The disparity between Jackson and Kirks running ability isn't as large as the dispartiy between their passing ability, it could be argued.

So with that being said... LOL This makes sense if you (like me) think that Pat is being brought in as more than a camp arm.

With Jackson in, you'd truly have three QB's on the roster. Mike only runs with 2 QB's..., and he wants to keep Rex as a mentor. With White, Mike get's an athlete on the field and an emergency QB all in one... It makes perfect sense.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:27 am

Pat White - QB - Redskins

Redskins QB Pat White said he's willing to play other positions if he needs to do so in order to make the team.

"Whatever the coaches ask of me, I will do it with the best of my abilities," White said. "My heart's set on being a quarterback, but I am willing to play other positions and will do whatever it takes to help the team." Back in 2010, he was strongly opposed to playing receiver for the Dolphins, but he now knows that he's not much of a quarterback. White's accuracy was reportedly an issue in spring practices. He was "borderline terrible" with Miami.

Source: redskins.com Jul 7 - 3:35 PM

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:37 am

but he now knows that he's not much of a quarterback. White's accuracy was reportedly an issue in spring practices. He was "borderline terrible" with Miami.

Source: redskins.com Jul 7 - 3:35 PM

Damn, that's harsh coming from the team's website. :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:06 am

Countertrey wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:I'm simply saying we'd all be reacting in almost the same way had we signed Jackson instead.

and this

ROTFALMAO

Well... you didn't, so we won't know...

True but this is not blind conjecture. I have a ton of evidence. How do you think the board would have reacted?

Countertrey wrote:
I have a feeling that they are trying to stay ahead of the learning curve of other teams as they attempt to account for the RG3 factor... I don't know if White is an answer... but I do think there's more to this than a camp arm.

perhaps... but you were certainly willing to engage that argument a couple of responses above... :-s

Not really. All I said is he has started. Then that was misinterpreted by someone else as me arguing that he is starting caliber. It's beside the point either way ... the point being this:

DarthMonk wrote:This is my claim: Had we signed Jackson a few months ago most of us would have been caught off guard (like with White) and our comments and conjectures would be very similar to what we are seeing in this thread. For instance, we'd probably talk about how he was finally going to get good coaching, run scout team, be used creatively, etc. We'd mostly be on board - just like most of us are for White.

How do you feel about the above claim?

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Pat White - QB - Redskins

The Washington Times predicts Rex Grossman will "easily" beat out Pat White for the Redskins' third-string quarterback job.

The Skins figure to keep three quarterbacks this year because Robert Griffin III is coming off major knee surgery. White is not eligible for the practice squad, and Grossman has far more experience in Kyle Shanahan's offense. Whether White would be an attractive NFL waiver claim will depend on preseason play.

Source: Washington Times Jul 15 - 2:43 PM

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:16 pm

DarthMonk wrote:This is my claim: Had we signed Jackson a few months ago most of us would have been caught off guard (like with White) and our comments and conjectures would be very similar to what we are seeing in this thread. For instance, we'd probably talk about how he was finally going to get good coaching, run scout team, be used creatively, etc. We'd mostly be on board - just like most of us are for White.

How do you feel about the above claim?

I'm on record, from the dark winter months when it was first suggested, as saying that attempting to bring Tavaris Jackson in was a bad idea... and, beyond that, NOT in the Redskins plans.

White is a different player entirely... and a different set of possibilities. Your own post of Jul 10, 2013 9:27 am underlines that White recognizes that Quarterback is not likely in his future, that, if he is going to be here, it will be as a utility player, possibly as a receiver... and as an emergency quarterback IF he is good enough to travel with the team and suit up.

Tavaris Jackson, as several of us have noted, continues to believe that he can and will play quarterback... that is NOT happening here. That makes attempting to compare the two apples and oranges.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:56 am

Tavaris Jackson adds nothing to this team. I could see if we didn't have a capable backup. But, we have 2 already. Horrid idea.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:43 am

The Hogster wrote:Tavaris Jackson adds nothing to this team. I could see if we didn't have a capable backup. But, we have 2 already. Horrid idea.

:)

as others have pointed to - White knows he was not added to possibly be a QB - he's got more to offer than Jackson who mistakenly sees himself as a QB
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:52 pm

I am not talking about comparing them I'm talking about comparing our reactions to acquisitions. To reiterate I never recommended acquiring Jackson. The proof is in the posts.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football