Former WVU QB Pat White Signed

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
spudstr04

Former WVU QB Pat White Signed

Postby spudstr04 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:18 pm

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/report-redskins-likely-sign-pat-white

In 2008, the Redskins sent their second-round pick in the following year’s draft to the Dolphins in exchange for Jason Taylor. Miami used that pick to draft quarterback Pat White out of Miami.

Taylor played just one year for the Redskins and was a huge disappointment. White was a washout in Miami as he lasted just one year and never completed an NFL pass.

The Redskins failed with Taylor but they may try to get something out of White.

According to Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com, the Redskins are expected to sign White sometime soon pending a physical and the ironing out of a few details.

White has not played in the NFL since that 2009 rookie season. He was a running, option-style quarterback before that style was popularized by, among others, Robert Griffin III. As noted, his next NFL pass completion will be his first.

It is unlikely that White will be guaranteed any money or a spot on the roster in the fall. But with Griffin sitting out OTA’s and some or all of training camp, White will get an opportunity to get some work and, if he lasts long enough, some action in preseason games where he can show if he still has it.

For the Redskins, the benefit would be that they can work on their Pistol and read option offense while Griffin is rehabbing with someone who can more closely mimic his actions.

It is also possible that the Redskins will utilize White in a gadget role, perhaps on the field with Griffin or backup Kirk Cousins on offense. If White signs, we might find out a little more about that during OTA’s.

Back to the original trade that led to the Dolphins having the draft pick to take White, Taylor ended up going back to Dolphins. There would be some symmetry if White ended up with the Redskins.

I can see him being a gadget type player that can run the wild-cat and/or option. May be they can transform him into a return guy.
#21 = Forever in our hearts

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Also, the Skins can continue to tinker with their offense with RG3 rehabbing.

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:21 pm

@Rich_TandlerCSN:

Bottom line, there's a much better chance that Pat White is camp fodder than there is of him ever taking a regular-season snap for #Redskins

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:27 pm

I do NOT see Pat White as a 'gadget type' player AT ALL - he might be that to other franchises but not to ours

I think the Redskins see a need for a QB that can possibly help out by taking snaps with the new REDSKINS version of the read option offense until Bob is fully ready
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:32 pm

I think it would be kind of interesting to have him be here and help out and then have Mara try and see if he can help their defense work on how to 'stop' RG3 ... :lol:

see Mara does not understand that what his defense is having issues with cannot be replicated BECAUSE no QB can run and pass and think like RG3 - NONE :D
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Word is the Giants wanted him to come in so they could practice against the Redskins offense. We signed him. That alone makes it a good move.

:lol:
SPIT HAPPENS!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:14 pm

How athletic is this guy?

I'm placing my bet right now. We will run both RGIII and Pat in the offense at the same time. 2 QB's.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

piglet

Postby Bee_Skins_Fan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:How athletic is this guy?

I'm placing my bet right now. We will run both RGIII and Pat in the offense at the same time. 2 QB's.

I remember him as pretty shifty in college. I wonder if he can return kicks.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:51 pm

spudstr04 wrote:@Rich_TandlerCSN:

Bottom line, there's a much better chance that Pat White is camp fodder than there is of him ever taking a regular-season snap for #Redskins

Yeah, if that. This is another arm to tire out, and help out with running plays in camp/pre-season.

Out of the league since 2009? Come on.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:53 pm

You thinkin' he could be a Percy Harvin TYPE lining up as the third guy in the pistol?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:53 pm

emoses14 wrote:

You thinkin' he could be a Percy Harvin TYPE lining up as the third guy in the pistol?

Potentially... I agree that more likely than not, he'll be fodder. Pat will view this as an opportunity to showcase his skillset for another team, while providing us with his services. It's a win-win.

But, lets dream for a moment. Let's say he plays extremely well. Having 2 atheletic QB's in the bacfield at once... That would be really freaking interesting. We could run an option, option! LOL RGIII could give the ball to Pat and he'd still have a legit ability to throw it! LOLOL It's funny but it sounds interesting!
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Yes, I agree with the camp fodder theory. He will be RGIII's mini and training camp stubs double.

Of course keeping him out of the hands of the New York version of Mr. Burns may have been part of the motivation.

On a side note, I hear Steve Slayton is available too.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:17 pm

We now have 4 qbs...? Why???
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:27 pm

The Hogster wrote:Word is the Giants wanted him to come in so they could practice against the Redskins offense. We signed him. That alone makes it a good move.

:lol:

That alone makes it hilarious ROTFALMAO

Poor Mara...BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I think he'll be more of a practice squad guy (as others have said) who will keeps the offense up to speed and teaches our defense how to defend the read option.

Never know though, this guy might be conditioned into a dangerous backup for RG3. I still think its a longshot; he could very well be RG3's crash test dummy :)

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:03 am

tribeofjudah wrote:We now have 4 qbs...? Why???

Three. No Sexy Rexy.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football