Antoine Winfield visiting on Wednesday

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
+++++++++

Antoine Winfield visiting on Wednesday

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Winfield is a bit past his prime, but this is the kind of move the Redskins need to make. We need to find a guy who will take the vet minimum and may have another good year left. Winfield could be that guy. Having him start across from Wilson and leaving Biggers in the nickel role seems to be a good combo.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/316256238772043776
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Re: Antoine Winfield visiting on Wednesday

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:Winfield is a bit past his prime, but this is the kind of move the Redskins need to make. We need to find a guy who will take the vet minimum and may have another good year left. Winfield could be that guy. Having him start across from Wilson and leaving Biggers in the nickel role seems to be a good combo.

Nice grab man. Thanks for posting this!! Hopefully we'll hear how it goes later this week

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:41 pm

I think this would be a great move, although hard to see how our cap situation would allow it to happen. I guess his agent wouldn't even let him come to DC unless there was the possibility of a deal - unlike years past when the Redskins were simply used to push up the price.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:07 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:I think this would be a great move, although hard to see how our cap situation would allow it to happen. I guess his agent wouldn't even let him come to DC unless there was the possibility of a deal - unlike years past when the Redskins were simply used to push up the price.

At his age, Winfield may have to take a deal at the vet minimum. In addition, teams are granted discounts against the cap when it comes to signing vets. I would think that Winfield's 13 years of service time means his cap hit, if signed to a vet minimum deal, would be negligible.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

FanFromAnnapolis

Re: Antoine Winfield visiting on Wednesday

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:Winfield is a bit past his prime, but this is the kind of move the Redskins need to make. We need to find a guy who will take the vet minimum and may have another good year left. Winfield could be that guy. Having him start across from Wilson and leaving Biggers in the nickel role seems to be a good combo.

Agreed. This would be a solid, if stop-gap move, that IMHO would put our CBs in a better position than we were to start last year (not saying much, I know).

Though I'm not so sure we can grab him for the veteran minimum. My understanding is that Minnesota offered him a deal making less money and he turned it down. He might fancy his chances of getting several million in what will probably be his final year in the league.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

piglet

Postby rg3togarcon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Is it me or do we have something for ex Vikings defensive backs? Smoot was with them briefly and we got him back, Cedric Griffin, Madoodoo, and now Winfield. I wouldn't mind this pick up, I'd feel a lot more confident with this secondary then last years. Especially if Meriweather and Jackson can play. I'd still like us to take a solid corner or safety in the draft. No offense to Doughty and Gomes, but they're back ups. They are okay, but we won't be any better against the pass if one of them has to start this year.
Gone but not forgotten #21...forever in our hearts Sean Taylor

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:28 pm

rg3togarcon wrote:.... I wouldn't mind this pick up, I'd feel a lot more confident with this secondary then last year's. Especially if Meriweather and Jackson can play.
I'd still like us to take a solid corner or safety in the draft. No offense to Doughty and Gomes, but they're back ups. They are okay, but we won't be any better against the pass if one of them has to start this year.

we will be better against the pass because almost anything will be better than what we had .. :lol:

it's not all because of the secondary, either

we're going to have a more effective back 7 than we had - that will git 'er done :lol:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:07 pm

I was hoping we would get this guy.

Hard working and a good teamate.

This is a nice place for him to give us the last years of his career.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

piglet

Postby rg3togarcon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:16 pm

And I read this on Winfield, didn't give up a touchdown pass all last season. That says a lot from a guy who played Brandon Marshall twice, Megatron and the Packers. I hope we get him. A good run defensive man and pass. I'll take it.
Gone but not forgotten #21...forever in our hearts Sean Taylor

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:46 pm

rg3togarcon wrote:And I read this on Winfield, didn't give up a touchdown pass all last season. That says a lot from a guy who played Brandon Marshall twice, Megatron and the Packers. I hope we get him. A good run defensive man and pass. I'll take it.

Not to discredit the man, cuz I saw him on the fa list and wondered why we hadn't reached out yet, but I don't think he was the one covering those guys; at least not every down.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:05 pm

i dont like stop gaps, but we seem pretty desperate for some depth at cb...i would rather sign dhall back if we could, but if winfield can play anything could help. 34 is old though for a cover guy....
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:05 am

If we can afford him, and get him to agree to sign with us, I say do it. Experienced CB and he may still have a few good years left.
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:26 pm

SCSkinsFan wrote:If we can afford him, and get him to agree to sign with us, I say do it. Experienced CB and he may still have a few good years left.

Sign him, now. An OK situation jumps to good, at least for now.

cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:46 pm

If we can get him to sign, he would be a good stop gap measure until we can find a young quality corner to fill his role after he leaves.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:28 pm

Sean Springs anyone?

I think Winfield would be a good stop gap. He was once one of the best. I am sure with some hard work this offseason he could be a solid addition.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football