Any and All News About RG3's Knee - Merged

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:31 am

I heard the same thing about the regeneration
PLUS
there has been some amazing information about how helpful, the use of stems cells have been with the recovery/rehab from these operations

IMO the physical part of it is not as much of a concern as the mental ...

RG3 has to KNOW that he (and we) cannot afford to have him making the kind of mistakes in judgement that he made on the field at the end of last season

HE HAS TO LEARN TO GET DOWN SOONER - the defensive players are going to be even more aggressive this season - we all know that the right knee will be targeted

even 'late' defensive hits will be 'encouraged' if they can impede his playing ability

the physical nature of the game is part of the game - RG3 (as CLL is saying) REALLY needs to change his ways - we cannot afford this loss of time and nether can he
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:47 am

emoses14 wrote:I agree that he should have come out at the half. I also think that if he had, we win that game.

Oh! I think so too! We were still up 14-0 weren't we? Our offense tired the defense out, they were exhausted from the three and outs. I'm sure that Kirk could have gotten us another 7 points and some consistent drives to give the defense a breather.

The game essentially ended for us when RGIII got hurt.

emoses14 wrote:He is a kid. A great kid, but just a kid. Because of how great a person, not a player, but a person, he appears to be, I simply think it highly likely that this entire exercise results in a meteoric elevation in his game.

And I think his general level of maturity causes us to forget that he's just a kid sometimes. I'm prolly guilty of that. All young QB's hold the ball too long, but he just payed a higher price than most do for it.

SkinsJock wrote:HE HAS TO LEARN TO GET DOWN SOONER

This is the most important thing, I'm glad you said it. It's not just getting down, but it's getting down EARLY!!!! Even in his slides, he's waiting too long to do it. Those extra two yards aren't worth it.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:59 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

SkinsJock wrote:HE HAS TO LEARN TO GET DOWN SOONER

This is the most important thing, I'm glad you said it. It's not just getting down, but it's getting down EARLY!!!! Even in his slides, he's waiting too long to do it. Those extra two yards aren't worth it.

+ A Superbowl win when he learns that.

Yeah, there's no argument there.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:22 am

Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:in another thread, Chris points to a slightly different point "where would we be, IF RG3 had taken himself out of the game ... " - he'd be available to help with the OTAs and the 'new' offense that I think we're going to see .. AND .. we would not be hoping that he will be ready to play on opening day - we might even have won that game .... :shock:

Is this even true? No doubt RGIII worsened the injury by staying in, but it seems pretty clear that his knee was damaged even before the game. This is admittedly just a guess on my part, but I would bet he was facing some kind of off-season surgery either way.

Count me in the RGIII optimists camp though on his bouncing back.

I guess I should have read all the new posts before responding to SJ, because I thought the exact same thing. I'm sure he will bounce back, but like CLL, I'm worried about a reversion to instinctive behavior in the heat of battle when it comes to protecting himself.

I don't know man that might pan out in our favor. Its a fine line however, between losing instinctive behavior and becoming more cautious.

Given what we've seen, I think he's too stubborn/fearless to be hindered, but hopefully whatever hindered nature he incurs will merely be a more cautious RG3.

You ever see his high school highlight reel on youtube? The one I saw had him looking a lot more like a pocket passer...looked awesome (he still did some runs, just a lot less...ironically, his runs appeared less predictable and were more fruitful). I think that's our worst case scenario for RG3, but I just don't see him not running. Cutting back some hopefully.

CLL nailed it about the effectiveness of our line, they're rock solid on the run, have some leaks on pass protection. We've seen what RG3 can do as a scrambler in the pocket and throwing on the run. In fact, that was the biggest buzz I heard about him in the beginning; how accurate he could throw running full speed.

Point is, our running game will still be effective even with a reduced/limited read option. Its annoying to hear people talk about Morris just an average RB; how many times did we see four guys struggling to bring him down? Dude has powerful legs.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:23 am

RGIII has to learn that there is such a thing as being rash — that wanting to go all out isn't always brave. Bravery requires a bit of wisdom, knowing what's worth risking yourself for and what isn't. A classic litmus test on the football field is whether your staying in hurts rather than helps the team. It was obvious in the Seattle game that was the case, and a mature player would have stayed on the sidelines. It's not bravery or dedication to pretend you aren't hurt when your injury hurts the team.

I don't have much blame for RGIII on that account, though, as part of our coaches/doctors job is to step in and help make that assessment.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:31 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
riggofan wrote:No doubt RGIII worsened the injury by staying in, but it seems pretty clear that his knee was damaged even before the game.

Worsened, is putting it lightly lol. Pre-game, we were still dealing with a strained ligament. Post-game, ruined the existing knee and setback his other knee cus they need parts for the reconstruction. Big difference.

There's definitely a market for this and I know the technology already exists, but Andrews should find a better way to provide artificial knee ligaments.

With all the ligament injuries I would have thought a more durable, career extending way to do this. Unless I missed the memo...the biggest issue was plastic breakdown and "creep" (assuming they mean the plastic stretching over time).

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:32 am

I know that I've been preaching a bit as far as what we're going to see from RG3 .... :oops:

THE MOST IMPORTANT evidence will be his showing everybody that he's learned that the 'extra yards' and/or added time to 'make a play' are just not worth it

I have a lot of faith in this kid's ability to learn from his mistakes - physically he should be good to go - his decision making needs to change

Both RG3 and the Redskins need him on the field and able to do his thing - the only way that happens is for him to play his game BUT NOT TAKE unnecessary risks
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:32 am

Deadskins wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Post-game, ruined the existing knee and setback his other knee cus they need parts for the reconstruction.

They said it was strained, but there is speculation that the injury was more serious all along, and might have still required off-season surgery. As for the other knee, I thought I read that the part that was borrowed regenerates with time, so that after a year or so, it's completely healed (and could be borrowed again :shock: ).

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Say what???!!! I hope so!! Never heard of that...that would change a lot of negative outlooks!!! :D

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:34 am

Irn-Bru wrote:RGIII has to learn that there is such a thing as being rash — that wanting to go all out isn't always brave. Bravery requires a bit of wisdom, knowing what's worth risking yourself for and what isn't. A classic litmus test on the football field is whether your staying in hurts rather than helps the team. It was obvious in the Seattle game that was the case, and a mature player would have stayed on the sidelines. It's not bravery or dedication to pretend you aren't hurt when your injury hurts the team.

I don't have much blame for RGIII on that account, though, as part of our coaches/doctors job is to step in and help make that assessment.

+1

It was a failure across the board.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:51 am

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
riggofan wrote:No doubt RGIII worsened the injury by staying in, but it seems pretty clear that his knee was damaged even before the game.

Worsened, is putting it lightly lol. Pre-game, we were still dealing with a strained ligament. Post-game, ruined the existing knee and setback his other knee cus they need parts for the reconstruction. Big difference.

There's definitely a market for this and I know the technology already exists, but Andrews should find a better way to provide artificial knee ligaments.

With all the ligament injuries I would have thought a more durable, career extending way to do this. Unless I missed the memo...the biggest issue was plastic breakdown and "creep" (assuming they mean the plastic stretching over time).

Having been through a similar surgery but with part of my hamstring (not a great option for Olympic caliber speed) , I see the use of his healthy legs patella as a positive. On top of the whole regeneration thing it forces him to rehab both legs. Not favoring one so much that it becomes stronger then the other- what happened with me. Rehabbing both legs should equate to a stronger healthier base for RGiii and may very well spell improved play and durability. Many see this sx as a negative, or a set back, where Im hopeful its a blessing in disguise. It's my assumption that the sx down at Baylor was a. Not as advanced as this one b. Didn't have the same millions upon millions of endorsing to provide the absolute best rehab c. May have been a rushed recovery (according to some articles his knee wasn't 100% on day 1- possibly stretched it rehabbing?) And d. Probably came back to soon, as young confident men often do. This surgery has the best of the best, and the progression as closely monitored as is possible. It's my belief that this knee is/will be an upgrade over the knee we drafted..... #wishfulthinking
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:08 am

Have some links about tendons, etc regenerating. Granted one of these is from yahoo answers but what she said about there not being enough blood getting to the ligaments sparked a thought...Andrews has been injecting stem cell which speeds up/enable rejuvenation:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080921131938AAhso2w

Short article in reference to stem cell and regeneration:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19539988

Another reference:
http://www.wisegeek.org/how-do-doctors-repair-torn-ligaments.htm

Older article, but still very good:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/20/health/20iht-stem.4970019.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Good luck, don't have the patience to read all through this one:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3255293/

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Sorry for all the posts/links. Have some more positive news :)

Shanahan says RG3 needs to learn to slide (obviously)

Also, in the article:
"Shanahan said that the read-option forces defensive linemen to read and react and slows down their rush.

'The option will help a quarterback stay healthy,' Shanahan said."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -to-slide/

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:31 pm

We had this pegged in the pre-season in the "Where Can RGIII Improve" thread:

DarthMonk wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:This is and isn't my biggest concern with RGIII: Kyle!!!

The above was my first thought but as for RGIII himself:

He needs to know when to be daring. That's probably not in the 1st qtr. of the 1st game when he can take a risk and give us 2nd and 2 instead of 2nd and 8 near midfield. He might need to be lucky early until he learns when to be daring.

Vick still doesn't know.

DarthMonk

Looks like we used him recklessly and he did the same with himself.

Fingers crossed. Guy is ridiculously good.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:04 pm

The ONLY thing similar about Vick and Griffin is that they are both QBs - is there any doubt that one has a very high IQ and the other does NOT come even close

I do not have any doubt that RG3 is going to be a lot wiser about playing the QB position this season - NO DOUBT

I also think that there is going to be a lot stronger control on what he does from Mike - I doubt he gets much leeway after what happened

this is only a minor setback - we can still anticipate seeing #10 leading the B&G back to the NFC East title ... and maybe more :lol:

piglet

Hope you are right about a minor setback

Postby RG3 Fan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:03 am

In my books a massive knee surgery such as this could possibly become a major setback. However, if anyone can come back stronger than ever it would be RG3. After his surgery at Baylor his accuracy improved immensely. He spent all that time playing catch with his Dad. He also took fewer chances after the injury. What ha has got to learn is to slide earlier. The pros are faster and stronger and you have to adjust. Hopefully he will.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football