NCAA Tournament Fundraiser for BossHog

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

NCAA Tournament Fundraiser for BossHog

Postby JCaptMorgan12 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 pm

All,

As some of you may or may not know, Mark (BossHog) suffered a heart attack about a week ago and will be out of work for a while. Mark started www.thehogs.net in August 2002 to provide Redskins fans a place to voice their opinion and share their thoughts, and all for free. Mark doesn't get paid for his services here, but I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time and effort he has and continues to put into this website. Mark gets to see firsthand everyday, Redskins fans coming together for the cause, whether it be to discuss a potential FA signing, a trade on the horizon, or the upcoming season. Now its time for us to come together again and show our support for Mark.

I was thinking earlier today that it would be a fun and a great way to give back to Mark to have a NCAA Bracket Challenge to raise some funds to donate to Mark to help him out during his recovery. The bracket challenge will be hosted through Yahoo! (so you will need a user ID & password if you don't already). To enter, donations will be accepted ($5 minimum) and all proceeds will be given to Mark. The winner (as determined by Yahoo! scoring) will receive a $25 Lowe's or Best Buy gift card that was donated (winner can choose).

I don't know Mark outside of this website and Twitter, but I am thankful for this site, as well as all the information and discussions it has provided. Others that know Mark, please add anything you'd like to point out about Mark, as I know I missed everything.

If you're interested in joining in to support the cause or have any questions, please DM me through this website or Twitter (@farmstrong82). The instructions on how you can make a donation (via PayPal) are below as well.

Below are just a few of the important points about the bracket:

- The First Four games (Tues/Wed nights) are not counted in the bracket.
- Deadline to submit your bracket is 12:15pm EDT on Thursday, March 21. You must complete all you pick's by this time.
- To be eligible for the gift card, you must submit your bracket by the above deadline and make the minimum donation before the start of the games on Friday 3/22.
- Yahoo! also has a special promotion, and if you register and your bracket is the highest-scoring bracket among all eligible players participating in the promotion (not just our group), you will win a cool $10,000 (not from me and not affiliated with this fundraiser). See the Yahoo! Official Rules for all information.

If you're interested in participating in the bracket, the information is right here. Go to the Yahoo! Tourney Pick'Em homepage (http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/register/joingroup) and click on "Join Group". Then login into your Yahoo! account and enter the information below:

Group ID#: 154932
PW: bosshog

Once you have registered and you're ready to make a donation, or would just like to make a donation without entering a bracket, please follow the link below. If you want to be eligible for the $25 gift card, when making your donation please include the name of the bracket you are entering in the "note" section.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=JHUTPMXHPP5D8

** This was discussed with Mark prior to posting. Also, if someone wants to assist in accepting donations, please let me know. **
Last edited by JCaptMorgan12 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
My children, gather round! No retreat, no surrender; that is Spartan law. And by Spartan law we will stand and fight... and die. A new age has begun. An age of freedom, and all will know, that 300 Spartans gave their last breaths to defend it!

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:32 am

Thank you.

I appreciate the support, and so does my family.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:59 am

Of all the bracket challenges that I've been invited to participate in, this one is by far the best idea.

Congratulations on the idea and implementation JCaptMorgan12. I'll be PMing you sometime today for the info.

Oh, and one more thing:

HOYA SAXA!
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:12 am

I know nothing about bracketology. However, once a donation site is set up will it be possible just to donate funds?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:13 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I know nothing about bracketology. However, once a donation site is set up will it be possible just to donate funds?
:?:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:15 am

1niksder wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:I know nothing about bracketology. However, once a donation site is set up will it be possible just to donate funds?

Rough night, daughter is making me crazy. Clearly if I had read the entire post I would have gotten my answer... Pay me no mind.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:20 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
1niksder wrote:

Rough night, daughter is making me crazy. Clearly if I had read the entire post I would have gotten my answer... Pay me no mind.

They can do that. Apparently, at any age.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:45 am

Great idea. :idea:

I am in. Come on, people, join in one way or another.

HTTR
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:48 am

Like CLL, I'll make a donation, but don't care about the bracket.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby JCaptMorgan12 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:50 am

Just reposting so the summary information is throughout the thread. For full details, please refer to the top of the thread.

If you're interested in participating in the bracket, the information is right here. Go to the Yahoo! Tourney Pick'Em homepage (http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/register/joingroup) and click on "Join Group". Then login into your Yahoo! account and enter the information below:

Group ID#: 154932
PW: bosshog

Once you have registered and you're ready to make a donation, or would just like to make a donation without entering a bracket, please follow the link below. If you want to be eligible for the $25 gift card, when making your donation please include the name of the bracket you are entering in the "note" section.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... TPMXHPP5D8
My children, gather round! No retreat, no surrender; that is Spartan law. And by Spartan law we will stand and fight... and die. A new age has begun. An age of freedom, and all will know, that 300 Spartans gave their last breaths to defend it!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks. I'd like to donate too and don't have time for the bracket.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:36 am

I really appreciate everyone's support. Humbled to tears several times in the last couple of days. Not in a position to be prideful.

I will create a donation button on the site today as well.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:17 pm

I have set up a page here if anyone would like to make a donation.

http://www.thehogs.net/donations/index2.php

I struggle to find words to thank people for their support in this trying time, but just please understand that your generosity is appreciated likely more than you will ever know.

thank you.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:05 am

I have a request to the mods:

Could you PLEASE post this thread as a STICKY in this thread?

PEOPLE we have come here FOR YEARS and enjoyed this website. Some of us have thousands of posts. The Skins are our passion and this is the website where we contribute, vent and spread whatever knowledge and advice we have. Is it fair to ask you to support at a time of need? Is this the right thing to do?

Something else:

I will match a donation of $100 pledged and made by somebody.

OK, who is with me? :up:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:35 am

Boss,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened but I'm extremely happy that your still alive and kicking for us but especially for the family.

I donated a small something and I look forward to hearing from you back on the site when you've recovered.

I'm sure I speak for everyone by saying let us know if we can be of further help.

-Joe
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football