Redskins Offseason Resignings

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:15 pm

1niksder wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:SJ Judd because our cap penalty officially is over next year doesn't mean we won't be still feeling it for years to come. Last year they loaded contracts to account for less money this year. This year they had to restructure contracts.

Both of these things effectively spread the cap hit over many years. Our they kicked some of the salary down the road.

Actually they signed players to contracts with most of the money in base salaries last year, and none of them were back loaded. Somehave voidable years that require the full cap hit be account for over the first two years (2012 and 2013). If anything they did contracts last off-season that made the cap charges hits during the time they have limit space.

This year they restructured contracts in a way that has no cap impact in the future unless the player outperforms the restructured contract and that and the full impact would be in 2014.

skinsfan#33 wrote:The Mara salary cap penalty will probably still be impacting us for longer than Shanny is the coach. The congress may actually agree on a budget before we stop feeling the impact of the Mara cap hit (I don't expect any presidential budget to be signed during this president's second term).

:D
The effect of Mara Gate will end when the 2013 free agent signing period ends.

Year One they signed Merriweather, Garcon, Morgan, Briscoe, M. Williams, and Cedric Griffin. They moved up in the draft (meaning they needed more cap space because they had to pay the best rookie in the draft), flipped the pick the got for McNasty into the top performing RB in the draft and replaced Mara's team as the Division Champs.

Year Two starts with the current NFCE champs standing on the sidelines waiting on the market to settle down, look at the players (2012 starters) the other teams in the conference (including Mara's Gnats) had to dump just to get into postion to not be on the sidelines. The Redskins cut Hall, lost a special teamer and a RT no one wanted to return, and retained seven of their own free agents so far...

1nik,
I'm glad you chimed in on this. I had assumed they back loaded contracts because that is what teams usually do. I respect your cap knowledge more than anyone else here.

I'm glad ru here that Maragate won't haunt us for years to come.

I do get ticked off when I see Tampa spending as much as they want in the last two years when they were as far below the 2010 "un-capped cap number" as we were above it. It seems like they gained a competitive advantage during 2010. I guess it was OK since they weren't in Mara's division!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:00 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
mastdark81 wrote:Sav Rocca is sorta a questionable move paying him over a mil for a 36-37 year old punter but it means the world because he was effective as a holder for Forbath.

With our CAP situation, you can't risk breaking the punt game by releasing him. You don't know who's available or who you'd replace him with. He's an adequate commidity. Too much risk to let him go in our current situation.

mastdark81 wrote:Love Moss but we have to ride with the young guys for a change. He's older and probably just have this one year left before he retires.

I agree, I said in another thread that it's Aldricks job to lose.

mastdark81 wrote:Carriker is replaceable. He's not long-term to me coming off a major injury and seems to have a love affair with Pro Wrestling.

What does wrestling have to do with anything...?

mastdark81 wrote:Jenkins did an admirable job last year, but we have too many runstuffers and no one who is capable of passrushing the qb from the end position.

In THIS 3-4 defense, the ends priority isn't pass rushing. It's gap assignment. They must control their gaps and allow the LB's to get to the ball handler. If you're gripe is pass rush, you need to look at our LB's.

mastdark81 wrote:Pay Cuts should be - Josh Wilson, Stephen Bowen, J. Morgan - Wilson shoulda been the one cut before Hall. Bowen is getting 6 mil per year for 1 sack, yet he's suppose to be our passrushing end, and J. Morgan is at about 5.

LOL at all of that. #maddenlife

- I didnt' say cut Sav I indicated we should have signed him although with our money situation I wouldn't have been made if we had rolled the dice.

- He seems to love wrestling more than the game of football, from what I hear on his radio bit. So I don't see him long-term, usually guys that have a true passion play longer. I don't think thats strange to assume that. More than that he's on the downside of his career coming off major injury.

- Say what you want but when it is 3rd down, trust me they want the end's to get to the quarterback. Haslett pretty much said this 3-4 models after the Pittsburgh Steeler defense right? Well Aaron Smith, former end who Carriker gets compared to by coaches was getting 6 to 8 sacks in his prime. Carriker is pretty much solid on the run and stiff on the passrush. Infact Kerrigan got more sacks without his presence.

- Put it this way...Josh Morgan isn't getting 5 mill if he was a UFA. So in that case you have leverage to renegotiate. Just cause a guy catch 7-8 yard pussy passes on 3rd and 15 dont' mean he can't be properly evaluated. The obvious reason he was the leading receiver because he stayed healthy. Garcon, Davis was well on their way past his catch numbers if they didn't miss games.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:45 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Bryan Kehl is back on board

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... =pp_widget

Is this guy decent or just a "fluff" backup?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 pm

our LBs are solid - this is more like a ST and backup LB - kinda like ZO :roll:
Hail to the Redskins

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:49 pm

#21 = Forever in our hearts

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:50 pm

spudstr04

spudstr04

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:53 pm

SkinsJock wrote:our LBs are solid - this is more like a ST and backup LB - kinda like ZO :roll:

That's cool w/ me. Get a decent ST player for a reasonable price.

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:55 pm

@incarceratedbob reporting Fred Davis back to #Redskins. Has been ahead on some things.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:28 pm

spudstr04 wrote:@incarceratedbob reporting Fred Davis back to #Redskins. Has been ahead on some things.

I'm very relieved about this at this point. Heard rumors Seattle was interested in him. :evil:

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:00 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
spudstr04 wrote:@incarceratedbob reporting Fred Davis back to #Redskins. Has been ahead on some things.

I'm very relieved about this at this point. Heard rumors Seattle was interested in him. :evil:

So long as its not just a rumor too!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:16 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:

Yeah...guess I am getting all relieved prematurely :? Here's hoping for the best...

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:27 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:

Yeah...guess I am getting all relieved prematurely :? Here's hoping for the best...

That's what she said!

Lmmfao!

..... Did he sign yet? Ive been avoiding making eye contact with the bottom line on espn all week!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football