Our Salary Cap

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:06 am

our defense will be a lot more effective with better play from the front 7 AND the secondary ..

just addressing the secondary is not THE only issue - we need much more effective play from the guys up front AS WELL

a good defense is a lot better 'looking' when ALL of the guys are doing their job

our secondary was NOT good but it was not helped AT ALL by the play of the guys up front - we need to be able to apply pressure EVEN when we are only sending the minimum

I'm sure that Hall knows that the ONLY way he's playing here is for a lot less money and maybe having a shot at S

My 2 cents
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

piggie

Postby capitaldefense » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Rumor has it......

We might get a bit of salary cap relief via the 36 million stole from us last offseason.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:04 pm

Great... another baseless rumor...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:48 pm

Countertrey wrote:Great... another baseless rumor...

Sadly, I'm just about desperate enough to believe anything at this point. :D

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:33 am

Can anyone settle a disagreement my son and I are having??

I say -- we will have plenty of cap space next year due to this $18 mil hit this year.

He says -- we won't as we structured a bunch of contracts last year that hit heaviest in 14.

He couldn't name any specific players that got back end loaded contracts. Even if we did this, I contend any back-end loaded contracts can be redone or the player cut. I just cant see how we won't have plenty of cap room next year.

Of course, we will want to ensure we have the cap room to give RGIII a Kings Ransom when his rookie deal expires. If Flacco got $20 mil a year, what will RGIII get? Unless he does what Wade did and gives up some to keep other guys around on the team. Flacco's deal is hurting the Ravens now.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:02 am

Actually, 1niksder just answered your question here.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:08 am

Okay, I'll admit that I don't have a great understanding of the cap, but... in the NFL are teams able to defer money? Like in baseball a guy might restructure to take money after he leaves the team, like they have a 10 million dollar contract in their last season and they defer. Take 5 million now, then 1 million a year for 6 years after they retire. That way they get more money but it helps the team in the short term.

Is this possible?

Also, how do these restructuring deals work? Players are taking guaranteed money and converting it to bonuses. Are bonuses calculated differently?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:15 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:Okay, I'll admit that I don't have a great understanding of the cap, but... in the NFL are teams able to defer money? Like in baseball a guy might restructure to take money after he leaves the team, like they have a 10 million dollar contract in their last season and they defer. Take 5 million now, then 1 million a year for 6 years after they retire. That way they get more money but it helps the team in the short term.

Is this possible?

No. Not in the NFL.

Also, how do these restructuring deals work? Players are taking guaranteed money and converting it to bonuses. Are bonuses calculated differently?

In some cases, Yes. More often the player is converting Salary to bonus money, and/or extending the term of the deal. This can help the team in several ways.

Converting salary to bonus money gives cap relief in the current year because the team can prorate the bonus money over the term of the contract. For example. A player with a 4 year contract and $5M in 2013 salary will count $5M against the cap in that year. But, a guy with a $1M base salary and a $4.M bonus will still make $5M in 2013, but his cap number will only be $2M ( $1M of his base salary + $1M which is 1/4th of his bonus pro rated over the life of the deal). Now if the restructure includes an extension, sometimes it will sound like more money, but the team benefits by pro rating the portion that is bonus money over more years, further reducing the immediate cap hit.

The drawback is that intelligent and conservative teams only restructure guys who they expect to be on the team for a while, because if you cut a player after you restructure him, the remaining prorated amount is accelerated and counts all at once the following year in "Dead Money"

That's what Dummy Cerrato used to always do. It made the team keep old veterans at high contracts or left us with a lot of dead cap.

The Redskins are being smarter about it. They restructured Moss in such a way that he has no money pushed into the future. There are other players that they haven't restructured yet, possibly because they're being patient to see whether they even need to. We fans should to.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:50 am

The Hogster wrote: ... The Redskins are being smarter about it. They restructured Moss in such a way that he has no money pushed into the future. There are other players that they haven't restructured yet, possibly because they're being patient to see whether they even need to. We fans should to.

THANK YOU - very well portrayed ... :up:

The situation is not as good as it could be if we had more 'room' with the salary cap BUT it's sure nowhere near as bad as some are thinking
we would love to resolve some of our issues and just "buy" some talent like we used to and like other teams are doing this season - HOWVER - there are no guarantees that acquiring a very talented player, instantly makes you a whole lot better - we have seen that first hand

LOOK ... we do have issues but we are very fortunate to have a good bunch of guys looking at the situation and managing this franchise

we just won the NFC East and while we cannot make this team 'better' the easy way - I think these guys will find a way to put a 'better' team on the field

AND

I think they're setting us up to continue to be playoff contenders for the next few years ... at the very least :lol:
Last edited by SkinsJock on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Postby radi8 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:26 am

Just curious, is the Redskins Salary Cap page going to be updated anytime soon? I would love to see really where we stand with the recent FA signings and restructuring.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:01 pm

radi8 wrote:Just curious, is the Redskins Salary Cap page going to be updated anytime soon? I would love to see really where we stand with the recent FA signings and restructuring.

This weekend
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Postby radi8 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:38 am

1niksder wrote:
radi8 wrote:Just curious, is the Redskins Salary Cap page going to be updated anytime soon? I would love to see really where we stand with the recent FA signings and restructuring.

This weekend

Outstanding! Thanks for keeping us informed.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:01 pm

1niksder wrote:

This weekend

How on Earth do you find all of the info and keep track of it?
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:03 pm

1niksder wrote:

This weekend

Did you get a chance to do this yet?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:58 pm

I also have some questions ..

is this year's cap hit, some form of 'benefit' to us next year?

I have heard the term a "flat cap" used for 2014 - ??

I've noticed, there are a number of players signing 1 year deals this year - I think this means that there are going to be a lot of players 'available'

a whole LOT more :lol:

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football