Pierre Garcon will not get surgery

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Pierre Garcon will not get surgery

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:36 pm

I might end up eating crow over this (here's hoping I do), but I think this is a mistake.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... matic-toe/

Pierre Garcon likely to avoid surgery on problematic toe

It appears that Redskins wide receiver Pierre Garcon will be able to avoid surgery on the problematic second toe of his right foot, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

Instead, Garcon will continue to receive an array of treatments designed to strengthen the toe and the muscles and tendons around it. If his progress continues at its current rate, Garcon is expected to make it through the offseason without surgery and return at 100 percent by the start of the 2013 season, that person said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak for the Redskins.

Garcon – signed last spring to a five-year, $42.5 million deal with $20.5 million guaranteed – suffered a torn ligament in the second toe of his right foot in Washington’s 2012 season opener at New Orleans. It’s believed the injury occurred on an 88-yard touchdown catch-and-run early in the game.

Garcon missed six of the next eight games because the pain limited his ability to push off the foot, change direction or accelerate. Garcon returned in Week 11 and played the final seven regular season games and the Redskins’ lone playoff appearance.

He finished with 44 catches for a team-high 633 yards and four touchdowns.

At the conclusion of the season, Garcon expressed encouragement at the way he was able to finish playing at a high level despite avoiding surgery on his toe. He said he was hopeful that he could continue to rest his toe and receive treatment on it during the offseason and avoid any surgical procedures.

He is on target to achieve his goal, the source said.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Good for him. His body, his choice. Hope it works.

Regardless of whether it does or doesn't, he's the one whose got to live with it.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Stem cell injection? Guess ap and rgiii got some during their knee reconstructions.. wonder if it is applicable here
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

the 'mudge

Re: Pierre Garcon will not get surgery

Postby Countertrey » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I might end up eating crow over this (here's hoping I do), but I think this is a mistake.

Based upon his performance after his return... you may want to consider loading your plate up right now...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

FanFromAnnapolis

Re: Pierre Garcon will not get surgery

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Countertrey wrote:Based upon his performance after his return... you may want to consider loading your plate up right now...

Perhaps. He was playing through quite a bit of pain, though. That's not the kind of thing you can do long-term and stay productive.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:40 pm

Will the tendon repair itself over time? If not, he can't be 100%.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:12 pm

Best of luck to him.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:49 pm

i believe that PG will make the best decision for him and the Redskins. rooting for the guy
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 pm

emoses14 wrote:Good for him. His body, his choice. Hope it works.

Regardless of whether it does or doesn't, he's the one whose got to live with it.

Totally agree so far as his life/choices are concerned. Where his best interests and the interests of the team diverge, I would hope he'd pick his best interests. I don't know where he's at on a personal level, so I can only talk about the impact I think this is likely to have on the team.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:20 pm

Deadskins wrote:Will the tendon repair itself over time? If not, he can't be 100%.

I tore my planar's fascia a few years back and it took about a year of rehab (or rather finding the rehab that allowed it to heal) to get it to 100%

If I'm never running around on it for too long on a given day, I might feel a little pain from it inflaming, but nothing serious.

My doctor told me that I further complicated my progress because I decided to run an extra two miles after I tore it. Stupid mistake I know, but I was a bit oblivious to all the tendons in the foot. I thought it was just some minor muscle strain.

Planar's fascia is the tendon that hold the arch of your foot up, so it does more weight bearing than say a toe (depending on style of walk.

He could be in a walking boot, but with that your calf muscles get weakened but good news is that it only takes about a week or two to get it back to normal (depending on how long you have the boot on).

I'll throw in the infamous saying that "I'm not a doctor", but its kinda hard not to get a pretty good idea of how complicated healing weight bearing tendons can be...particularly in the foot.

Anyway, there's no word on how bad he injured this toe. I was told nearly half of my planar's fascia was torn and that tendon is quite a bit larger than tendons in the toe.

Alright, to wrap up this rant:
1. Foot tendon injuries are stubborn
2. Continue exercise that originally caused the jury lessens your chance for 100% recovery
3. Healing is contingent on proper treatment, patient cooperation, and the individual (apparently I got screwed in genetics and am a slow healer)

Stem cell injections is an interesting point. I'd love to know what's going on with that as well.

From what I was told from my podiatrist, foot surgeries have a high complication rate (she may have just been referring to my particular tendon). However I have no idea how that would translate to the toe...I'd imagine its the same odds or close (75% success, 25% worse than before) just based on Garcon's struggle to make a quick decision.

My two cents.

piglet

Postby Quackjack » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:29 am

??? Why would he? He was looking good at the end of the season.
Steelers fan, but the Redskins are my NFC (and hometown) team.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:22 am

Medical Marijuana will do him just fine. :lol:

Good luck young man.

Go Skins, dalass sux
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Dr.s Advice

Postby anklefoot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:15 am

Looks like it may affect him next season.

http://blog.anklefootmd.com/2013/02/20/ ... ot-injury/

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:58 am

Always best to avoid the knife, good for Garcon
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:42 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:Always best to avoid the knife, good for Garcon

It's not "always best" to avoid the knife. It's best to avoid it if alternative treatments are just as effective. We wouldn't be saying the same if RGIII decided to "treat" his recent knee injury with rest and a brace.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football