Redskin All-Time Team Poll - QB

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Who plays QB for us on our All-Time Team?

Sammy Baugh
46%
Sonny Jurgensen
35%
Joe Theismann
19%

Total votes : 37
Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Countertrey wrote:Excellent, John.

I forgive you for stealing my lunch money.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:31 am

welch wrote:1. Crazy George Allen's opinions about QB have no weight. George hated offense and feared using the pass.

2. George's game plan: kick deep, go on defense, take the ball away, kick a FG or run back an interception.

3. George had the offensive coordinator, whether Ted Marchibroda or Joe Walton, call the safest running plays. Larry Brown left, Larry Brown right, screen pass to Larry.

4. We sometimes cheered when the Redskins fell behind, because then George would have to let Kilmer throw to Charley Taylor, Roy Jefferson, or Jerry Smith. In the tired debate about whether Smith belongs in the HoF, note that Smith's receptions dropped off when Old George took over, because George wouldn't throw to Smith except down close...high percentage of TDs.

5. Sonny might call any play at any time. He had a feel for the opponent, and kept them off balance. He would throw a 20-yard down&out to Jerry Smith just as confidently as he would to Charley Taylor.

6. I'm a Redskin Fan and I Like(d) Sonny. Was that People's Drugstore?

7. Kilmer had to wind up to throw. Sometimes he lost his grip and threw a flapping duck. Sometimes he could drill a pass. We never knew in advance.

8. Sonny was the best passer of his time...say, 1960 - 1974. He was the same age as Bart Starr, John Brodie, and Johnny Unitas, and he overlapped the last years of YA Tittle, but Sonny was in a league above theirs. That's the only way to describe it...Starr and Unitas were great QB's, but Sonny was so much better that in baseball you would be comparing some good AAA pitchers to Stephen Strassburg (or Tom Seaver).

9. How was Sonny better? The quickest release...so good that the only way people described the young Dan Marino was to say "the best since Sonny". Accurate...just perfect. Put the ball wherever he wanted. Sam Huff says that Sonny could throw a curve ball, could bend a pass around a defender. Sam saw that in practice. I remember when Sonny completed a pass behind his back. (Against the Redskins...he was with the Eagles). DE had leaped onto Sonny's left shoulder, so Sonny drilled a perfect spiral underhand and behind his back to...probably Tommy MacDonald.

10. When his arm began to weaken, meaning Sonny could only throw a perfect pass 60 or 75 yards, instead of 100, Sonny still destroyed the new zone defenses. His completion percentage went up in '72, until he snapped his achilles tendon. In '74, his last season, Sonny led an 80 yard last possession drive to beat the SB champ Dolphins, who knew he would pass on every down. Did the same against the Giants, only he came in to replace Kilmer, who was injured in about the 3rd quarter. Completed something like 17 consecutive passes to bring the Redskins from way back to win.

11. Summarize: Sonny thought quicker than any defender. He acted as quickly as he thought. He threw the ball with less effort and wind-up than anyone in football...then or now. He hit his targets. One of the plays on "Have you seen Sonny?" looks like Larry Brown is covered, then Sonny throws exactly to a spot that Brown will get to, and the throw looks almost like Sonny has reached 15 or 20 yards to hand the ball to Brown...while the defender just looks baffled.

Excellent write-up, thanks! I remember some of what you mention with George Allen...i.e. he was a defense minded coach, and a fan of proven players over rookies. I remember when I watched the Skins back in the early 70's.....I could never figure out why Kilmer would play over Jurgensen. To me it was apparent that Jurgensen was the better passer, and better QB. I appreciate your breakdown of #9....
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

DarthMonk

Redskin All-Time Team: Left Tackle

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:38 pm

I'm closing QB (for now) for Sammy. I somewhat regret including Joe. I'm going to do the rest of the positions with a runoff and will return to QB as the last position without including Joe. For now, our all-time QB is Sammy Baugh.

Maybe we can make Joe our holder.

I'll start another conversation for left tackle.

My nominations:

Joe Jacoby
Jim Lachey
Chris Samuels

Any other legit nominations before I create a poll?

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Re: Redskin All-Time Team: Left Tackle

Postby emoses14 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:50 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I'm closing QB (for now) for Sammy. I somewhat regret including Joe. I'm going to do the rest of the positions with a runoff and will return to QB as the last position without including Joe. For now, our all-time QB is Sammy Baugh.

My nominations:

Joe Jacoby
Jim Lachey
Chris Samuels

DarthMonk

Of those choices (and if there are any others, I wouldn't have seen them play), its not clear cut, but for me pretty easy.

Joe Jacoby

Coincidentally, I think those names are in order, too.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Postby yupchagee » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:54 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I'm closing QB (for now) for Sammy. I somewhat regret including Joe. I'm going to do the rest of the positions with a runoff and will return to QB as the last position without including Joe. For now, our all-time QB is Sammy Baugh.

My nominations:

Joe Jacoby
Jim Lachey
Chris Samuels

DarthMonk

Jacoby. I saw him as the heart & soul of the team. Always gave everything he had.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:28 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I'll start another conversation for left tackle.

My nominations:

Joe Jacoby
Jim Lachey
Chris Samuels

DarthMonk

Well, how large are these men's shoes for Trent Williams now??? :roll:

I know most of you will vote for Big Joe. So I will do justice to the runner up: Jim Lachey!!!

Some of the youngsters here may ask: How good was Jim Lachey???

He was so GOOD that Lawrence Taylor had do be often moved around and hidden AWAY from Jim for him to stand a chance to get a sack.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:35 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:I'll start another conversation for left tackle.

My nominations:

Joe Jacoby
Jim Lachey
Chris Samuels

DarthMonk

Well, how large are these men's shoes for Trent Williams now??? :roll:

I know most of you will vote for Big Joe. So I will do justice to the runner up: Jim Lachey!!!

Some of the youngsters here may ask: How good was Jim Lachey???

He was so GOOD that Lawrence Taylor had do be often moved around and hidden AWAY from Jim for him to stand a chance to get a sack.

And we got him for Jay Schroeder! :lol:

But this isn't the thread for voting yet. He only asked for nominations, you illiterates. :twisted:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:09 pm

Bringing this to the top now that the off-season is in full swing. Please bring any nominations for Left Tackle to the table. I will create a poll very soon.

My nominations:

Joe Jacoby
Jim Lachey
Chris Samuels

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football