Fred Davis (resign him now)

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Fred Davis (resign him now)

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:32 am

Come on guys, get to the table and make deal. Davis is getting better and better as a player.........sucks that he got injured.

Let's NOT lose him to the highest bidder.... like our Divisional foes.

There's a "free agent" thread in GM ........but come on, let's sign OUR OWN free agents.

The Washington Redskins slapped the franchise tag on tight end Fred Davis last offseason, but they might pursue another course soon.

One league insider told The Washington Post the Redskins might choose an incentive-laden, multiyear deal with Davis, who is set to become a free agent while working his way back from surgery to repair the left Achilles tendon he tore in October.
Unofficial list of free agents
Free agency is almost here. Check out this unofficial list of the 2013 NFL restricted and unrestricted free agents for every team. More ...

Davis started just seven games last season after ending the 2011 campaign under suspension after violating the league's substance abuse policy.

The injury was ill-timed for Davis, who is certain to see a reduced payday from either Washington or another suitor. The fifth-year pro hauled in 24 catches for 325 yards last season after the Redskins slapped Davis with the $5.5 million franchise tag. That figure leaps to $6.5 million if he's tagged again.

It's logical the Redskins would feel more comfortable pursuing a deal that reflects Davis' future production.

If another team swoops in, the Redskins would need a tight end. The free-agent pool offers options including Jared Cook of the Tennessee Titans, Dustin Keller of the New York Jets and Martellus Bennett of the New York Giants.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:44 am

Davis is very talented but when is he going to put it all together? If Davis takes an incentive laden contract thats fine with me.
Personally I like Paulsen. Paulsen can catch the rock, is a big target and blocks like a beast.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

piglet

Postby Quackjack » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:00 am

Bad idea. You guys already have Paulsen and Cooley. Save the cash.
Steelers fan, but the Redskins are my NFC (and hometown) team.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:23 am

I love Cooley, but I don't think he's on the team this year. But I agree with you about Davis. Unless we can work out a good deal for the team, I say let him go. Too bad we can't get anything for him, though. Maybe franchise him again to buy time, and then trade him to an AFC team.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:20 am

The Redskins are in a VERY different place now - we are finally a franchise that players want to be a part of for the right reasons ...

Players will be brought in & players will be kept based on their commitment to being better and their desire to be a part of what is happening here

we no longer just add 'talent' like some fantasy football outfit - this franchise now has a plan and an FO that knows how to make this franchise great again

a lot of players are going to want to be here to be a part of that
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:05 am

SkinsJock wrote:The Redskins are in a VERY different place now - we are finally a franchise that players want to be a part of for the right reasons ...

Players will be brought in & players will be kept based on their commitment to being better and their desire to be a part of what is happening here

we no longer just add 'talent' like some fantasy football outfit - this franchise now has a plan and an FO that knows how to make this franchise great again

Don't beat around the bush...........say what you need to say about Davis
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:32 am

Davis is a valuable asset to this team. He's one of our own. Before his injury, he was doing well. Paulsen is a great compliment to Davis but he's not anyone a defense has to worry about. The play before Davis get's hurt (it was penalized and called back) is an example of what he can bring to the table. Paulsen is not atheletic enough to make those plays and stretch the defense in that manner. I like Paulsen a lot but let's not make him out to be something he's not.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:43 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Davis is a valuable asset to this team. He's one of our own. Before his injury, he was doing well. Paulsen is a great compliment to Davis but he's not anyone a defense has to worry about. The play before Davis get's hurt (it was penalized and called back) is an example of what he can bring to the table. Paulsen is not atheletic enough to make those plays and stretch the defense in that manner. I like Paulsen a lot but let's not make him out to be something he's not.

To expand a bit, for an example of the kind of skills and production Davis has shown flashes of and can bring to the table, please see Vernon Davis of the 49rs. Davis is game changing player who is only augmented by a game changer like Griffin. We should absolutely resign that man. Lock him up long term, lace incentives in it that essentially can't kick in until next year and sit back and smile.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:50 am

emoses14 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Davis is a valuable asset to this team. He's one of our own. Before his injury, he was doing well. Paulsen is a great compliment to Davis but he's not anyone a defense has to worry about. The play before Davis get's hurt (it was penalized and called back) is an example of what he can bring to the table. Paulsen is not atheletic enough to make those plays and stretch the defense in that manner. I like Paulsen a lot but let's not make him out to be something he's not.

To expand a bit, for an example of the kind of skills and production Davis has shown flashes of and can bring to the table, please see Vernon Davis of the 49rs. Davis is game changing player who is only augmented by a game changer like Griffin. We should absolutely resign that man. Lock him up long term, lace incentives in it that essentially can't kick in until next year and sit back and smile.

I dunno if I'd put him on Vernon's level yet. While Vernon has had the luxury of playing with better QB's and a more stable enviroment, I think he's more physically gifted than Davis. I'd put Davis one notch below Vernon but with the potential to POSSIBLY get to that elite TE status. As much as I like Paulsen, his skillset is easily replaceable. Davis, not so much. Vernon, he's a freak up there with Graham, Gronk and Gonzalez (sp). If I had to pinpoint Davis's weakness... I don't think he has the catching skills of the top tier TE's. But we haven't had a QB that could give him those oppurtunities until now... So I'll reserve judgment.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:30 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:The Redskins are in a VERY different place now - we are finally a franchise that players want to be a part of for the right reasons ...

Don't beat around the bush...........say what you need to say about Davis

just for you - I'm a Davis fan and I hope he wants to be here ... BUT, he will not make that decision

IF Kyle and Mike want him they will make him an offer to stay .. I hope Davis takes that - we'll see

like I said - I'm a Davis fan - I think he should want to stay here and play with RG3 - if he wants the money more, then, I hope he has a great time elsewhere ...

we do NOT need players who put money before the team ... we will still be a VERY good team without them
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:40 pm

SkinsJock wrote:we do NOT need players who put money before the team ...

I don't disagree... But within reason. These guys are no different than us, I'd leave my job in an instant if they didn't offer me fair market value for my contributions. I hope he stays. I hope that the offer made is fair. If it's fair and he bulks, I understand but I wish him well.

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Davis is the best TE on the team and maybe one of the best in the league. The problem is that he is often injured. He has only played one full season. Is a part time TE worth the $5 - $7 million he will be asking for, especially with the cap hit? I would hate to see him go but is he affordable? Will he structure a contract that will allow growth for the team or will he want a me contract, keeping in mind that this is probably his one chance to get a big me contract.

Which evere happens, I wish him well.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:59 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:we do NOT need players who put money before the team ...

I don't disagree... But within reason. These guys are no different than us, I'd leave my job in an instant if they didn't offer me fair market value for my contributions. I hope he stays. I hope that the offer made is fair. If it's fair and he bulks, I understand but I wish him well.

I agree CLL - I think that the FO will want him back and will make him a decent offer - if he chooses to go somewhere else for more money, good for him

I think a lot of players will want to play for this franchise and we are better off without those that choose a higher salary over a better place to work

we no longer need to over pay for the players we want

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:05 pm

Quackjack wrote:Bad idea. You guys already have Paulsen and Cooley. Save the cash.
Cooley is a shadow of COOOOOLEY. He's done.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

swine

Postby RG3peat » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:49 am

Countertrey wrote:
Quackjack wrote:Bad idea. You guys already have Paulsen and Cooley. Save the cash.
Cooley is a shadow of COOOOOLEY. He's done.

He must be....he couldnt even unseed Paulsen. Im tired of talking about Freds "potential" still...Im cool with Cook, Keller or Bennett (in that order) OVER Davis

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football