Smithsonian Museum

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Re: Redskins name change?

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:25 am

Quackjack wrote:It seems to be inevitable at this point. I don't support a change, however, we may have to prepare for it.

Thoughts?

there are several threads already.....sure, it may change.
And whaddup wid your Avatar.......? u a steeler fan?
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:46 am

Gosh I hope this doesn't happen.

If worst comes to worst I could live with just the "Skins". No change to the logo.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

piglet

Postby Quackjack » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:24 am

emoses14 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
Quackjack wrote:If it is in fact a racial slur, why would ANYONE want to keep it the same? Redskins is seldom used but for the NFL team, which conjures up images of brave native american warriors, not savages. This is making my fellow liberals look reaaaalllly sad...
That's not what makes your fellow liberals look sad... (though, it certainly doesn't help)

Just sayin'. :wink:

Thank God, then, my fellow liberals have conservatives around doing everything they can to make us look good.

Phew!

Yes, because the group that supports assault weapons but not public health care has room to talk

Enough politics

And whaddup wid your Avatar.......? u a steeler fan?

Of coarse not, how could you suggest such a thing :roll: :?
Last edited by Quackjack on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steelers fan, but the Redskins are my NFC (and hometown) team.

JSPB22

Re: Redskins name change?

Postby Deadskins » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:32 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Quackjack wrote:It seems to be inevitable at this point. I don't support a change, however, we may have to prepare for it.

Thoughts?

Huge thread on this already (this year) called "Smithsonian Museum."

^^^^ This.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piglet

Postby Quackjack » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:51 am

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:If you're so offended by the name and can't move forward from the past, I advise you leave the country.

Well... I mean, they were kinda here first. I'm just saying. :lol: Your post made me think of the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsTHuY2b0bg

No dude not the Natives, the liberals acting all butt hurt. So tired of referencing the old survey that demonstrated most Natives had no issue with the name and that schools on reservations use the word Redskins.

Yeah man, it's like, Obama doing this *puff puff* ****ing liberal conspiracy man *puff* Obama is such a tyrant man *puff* if George Bush was still in office he'd get all these dirty stinking libs shot!

:roll:

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:03 am

Deadskins wrote:What's interesting is that it was a historian for the Smithsonian, who discovered that the origin of the term "Redskins" is Native American. It was the name of an Illinois tribe. It is not a racist label made up by Europeans as so many of these offended parties seem to think. It is simply not a racist term. And the Indian head logo was created at the request of Native Americans as well. People go out of their way to be offended by things, when they really should educate themselves first.

:!:
:!: :!:
:!: :!: :!:
:!: :!: :!: :!:
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby LORD GIBBS » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:47 am

I have a ? if they change are name how will the fight song go???? :(
I BLEED BURGUNDY AND GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:51 am

LORD GIBBS wrote:I have a ? if they change are name how will the fight song go???? :(

Yeah, that's not a comforting thought exercise.

As soon as someone shows me some proof that no less than 50.1% of the ACTUAL (no, your 1/34 cherokee vote doesn't count) native american population feels this is derogatory, I will immediately switch with both feet into the change the name camp and we can have a legitimate

No other metric or statistic, history lesson or anecdote matters.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:56 am

Quackjack wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:If you're so offended by the name and can't move forward from the past, I advise you leave the country.

Well... I mean, they were kinda here first. I'm just saying. :lol: Your post made me think of the video below.

No dude not the Natives, the liberals acting all butt hurt. So tired of referencing the old survey that demonstrated most Natives had no issue with the name and that schools on reservations use the word Redskins.

Yeah man, it's like, Obama doing this *puff puff* ****ing liberal conspiracy man *puff* Obama is such a tyrant man *puff* if George Bush was still in office he'd get all these dirty stinking libs shot!

As you said, "Enough politics"

However, for the record, it is laughable that (seemingly) there are 5 native americans upset about the name and a 3.5 billion mix of non- native american other upset about it.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

piglet

Postby Quackjack » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:41 am

emoses14 wrote:
Quackjack wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

However, for the record, it is laughable that (seemingly) there are 5 native americans upset about the name and a 3.5 billion mix of non- native american other upset about it.

I already made the point that I think the Redskins name is acceptable. Hell, I even made a post supporting the name on Steelers Fever. It's just the PC libs that I am pissed over.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Quackjack wrote:
emoses14 wrote:
Quackjack wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:

I already made the point that I think the Redskins name is acceptable. Hell, I even made a post supporting the name on Steelers Fever. It's just the PC libs that I am pissed over.

My comment was meant to be in agreement with that point, not as opposition to what I thought your position was.

-Santana Moss on Our QB

piggie

Postby Bishop Hammer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:59 pm

fetus wrote:
emoses14 wrote:
fetus wrote:So retarded... let's really focus on this as the biggest world issue

Yes. Until all "big" world issues are resolved we should not spend any time on any other issue. Never mind that the Smithsonian isn't really handling any of those other issues, so talking about the Redskins name isn't slowing down the search for a cure for cancer.

Lookit, I love my Redskins, but I can also understand that if IFIFIFIFIFIFIFIF it is in fact offensive to many that my team is named "Redskins", then it is at some point going to end up with a change of their name. It won't be the end of the world.

Excuse my sarcasm, but this is a yearly pointless offseason argument, on par with Brett Favre retirement plans of the past.

The team uses this name to HONOR Native Americans, not in a derogatory sense.

If every person who got offended by anything got their way we would all have bleached skin, wear nothing, eat the same food everyday at the same time, have our voice boxes cut out and have shaved heads. Everyone would be a thoughtless clone, a zombie, taught to never think for themselves and not able to formulate an opinion.

Actually people would take bleaching skin as anti black/asian/hispanic/etc, etc.

Wearing nothing well you know how nudity and sex are very controversial in the States, let alone when its in public.

Shaved heads well come bruv I don't have to point out how some people would take that.

So in a sense you can't please everyone. The Redskins have had their name and logo in place for close to a century. Its kind of funny how when the Skins are successful and bringin in money these groups get their, collective, knickers tighter than a fishes' bum about the name. As much as I used to bash Snyder this is the one time I'm glad he's the owner. No way he'll change the name.
I don't have to sell my soul,
He's already in me,
I don't need to sell my soul,
He's already in me.
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored.

Stone Roses
I wanna be adored

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football