Challenges Ahead (Draft and Free Agency)

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:55 pm

1niksder wrote:
The Hogster wrote:I personally want us to keep Moss, Hall, Davis & Carriker. But, the business is the business, and probably 2 of those guys are gone, possibly 3. I don't think there is any way that we let Davis walk. He's a Top 5 TE and opens up things on our offense that aren't there without him.

I can see all 4 returning...

I like this. ^^

What would be your strategy?
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:The author specifically says that cutting Davis is part of his plan for shaping the roster and saving cap space. That's what I mean about making tough decisions. I think Fred Davis is awesome, and the offense is better with a star tight end, but business is business.

Cutting Davis ISN'T a option... you can't cut a free agent.

Skinsfan55 wrote:We have guys returning from injury which is good, but Minnifield, Meriweather and Griffin don't seem like difference makers. The author is saying we'd need to cut a LOT of guys to make this happen. Losing Davis, Moss, Hall, Carriker... like I said, extremely tough choices. (But oh no, I'm overreacting and I should just feel all warm and fuzzy and stop worrying.)

In the limited appearances Meriweather provided it's no way you can say he wasn't a difference maker. The fact that he seemed to infuse the way the scheme is suppose to be played into the rest of the unit during his brief return to the point they retained it after his re-injury speaks volumes towards the difference he made, Griffin like Davis is also a free agent and I doubt he'll be returning based on the play of Crawford and the potential of Minnifield (who was technically "stashed on IR)

Skinsfan55 wrote:The Redskins cannot make mistakes this offseason and they are going to have to bargain hunt. In a league where more and more teams are switching to the 3-4 and diamonds in the rough are increasingly hard to come by... it's going to be hard and we'll probably sign a few guys who don't look like much on paper.

The only verifiable mistake so far has been Jammal Brown, sure they got a 5th back for the 3rd they gave up but in the end they let his contract void yesterday when they should have had the option of cutting him "post June 1st" (saving $3.3M in cap space this year and carrying $1.475M in dead cap for two years), so worrying about mistakes seems out of place. Based on your post Merriweather doesn't look like much on paper yet you want the team to sign more guys that look like him?

Skinsfan55 wrote:Guys like Ryan Harris. I would love if we signed him. We're probably the only place in the league that could offer him a starting job and we might get him for cheap. Also, if we cut Hall and Fletcher we'll open two big holes on D. Maybe get Leodis McKelvin in there at CB or something. Basically, we need them to hit paydirt again like they they got Josh Wilson. Then, we need to find a ILB. Perry Riley was great this year, it's awesome to see a former 4th rounder develop into a productive, everyday player... but how do we replace a guy like Fletcher on the cheap?

I covered my thoughts on Harris and McKelvin here nothing more to add to that.

Skinsfan55 wrote:Lots of tough calls with no easy answers but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'm thinking a lot of the guys they have brought in over the last 2-3 years will make those calls just a little less tough.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:21 pm

The Hogster wrote:
1niksder wrote:
The Hogster wrote:I personally want us to keep Moss, Hall, Davis & Carriker. But, the business is the business, and probably 2 of those guys are gone, possibly 3. I don't think there is any way that we let Davis walk. He's a Top 5 TE and opens up things on our offense that aren't there without him.

I can see all 4 returning...

I like this. ^^

What would be your strategy?

Sign Davis long term... tagging him again would be more than $6.5M for 2013 with no signing bonus for Davis, I'm sure they can put about $10M in his pocket and throw in another $1M or two in othe bonuses plus a salary and come out under $4M in 2013.

Give Moss twice his base in a SB and vet min. for a salary (he'll make about $5M this year and would only cost about $3.1M this year)

Carriker has a contract IDENTICAL to the contracts the Redskins reworked for Fat Albert and DHall (the same two contracts that save the Skins $36M in ap space following the un-capped year)that he signed right after the Redskins were hit with that $36M penalty. In the end with the buy out opition not being taken by Adam cutting him would save the team $250K... I'm not sure why he is in this discussion.

Hall is the only "Tough Choice" when you look at all four guys we are speaking of. What are their future plans for Hall who'll turn 30 this season with guys like Crawford and Minnifield both looking to be in the team's plans. Will they look to move them to FS or let him compete at CB. Depending on the plan will determine what he is offered in a extension, he says he is willing to take a pay cut so that's a start... I can see his cap number being cut in half if they move him to FS, even more if he stays at corner. The corner deal might have a take it or leave it tone to it.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:26 pm

I like 1niksder's reasoning. If the team decides to go in another direction with D Hall, I think it would be a great time to take a chance on Tyran Mathieu in the draft.

His return & playmaking ability could return big rewards in 2013.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby 1niksder » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:07 pm

Links:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/02/07/jammal-browns-contract-set-to-void-friday/

Brown just didn't work out. And neither did the contract, by it voiding the Skins will carry a $3.3M dead cap hit while had they worked it so they could have cut him as a post June 1st release his dead cap would have been $1.65M in 2013, that's slightly more than the $1.3M in savings the void has produced. In other words if they had cut him his 2013 cap savings would have been around $3.25M (or more than twice) what it turns out to be.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/02/08/2013-team-needs-washington-redskins/

Harris couldn't beat out a 2nd year player in a scheme the kid was still learning last season in Houston and Leodis McKelvin made more noise as a return man for the Bills. The Redskins drafted a return man that also happens to play CB and he isn't coming off of IR, The Redskins also have a guy they picked up after he fell out of the draft last season, that is coming off of IR and like Mckelvin he also returns kicks and plays corner. Chris Clemons might be a nice addition depending on the status of Jackson and Hall.

I don't get this:

Pierre Garcon:

2013 Cap Hit: $8.2 million

Cap Hit after restructure: $4.75 million

Savings: $3.45 million

$1.15 million is tacked on to each of his remaining 3 years

-They absolutely should restructure Garcon, yes it pushes more money going forward, but Garcon is young and doesn’t look like he’s going anywhere anytime soon.

They still have $8.8M in Signing Bonus allocations that would need to be accounted for... Maybe next year when the unallocated money is less than the cap hit but at this point it doesn't help the team and would be worth more to the player to wait a year or two before even talking about this.

or this...

Barry Cofield:

2013 Cap Hit: $6.300

Cap Hit after restructure: $3.825

Savings: $2.475

$0.825 tacked on to each of his remaining 3 years

-Another good bet to restructure. It is such a small increase over the remaining part of the contract that it shouldn't hurt the Redskins going forward. Also Cofield is coming off a good season, so they aren't likely looking to get rid of him in the next year or two.

He's got 4 years left on his current deal and $6M in bonus money that would have to be accounted for if they redo his deal now. Not as bad as redoing Garcon but doesn't create any space.

Also not sure I'd rework Josh Wilson,... Moss, Rak, and Morgan Two of the three will be done if not all three.

I think Fletcher will retire and Brown is already gone, everyone else should be back
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:40 pm

Article with some good news for us.

According to PFT, there's a glut of free agent tackles...meaning we could probably either keep Polumbus for cheap (note he isn't mentioned at all in the article), or upgrade at a minimal cost.

When assessing the value of a looming free agent, one of the most overlooked factors is a team’s ability to replace him.

For teams faced with the possibility of losing a tackle to free agency, this year it’ll be pretty easy to fill the position.

There’s a glut of free-agent tackles due to hit the market, and tackle is regarded as one of the deepest talent pools in this year’s draft.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:55 am

I'm thinking Mike will roll with Compton at RT.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Postby 1niksder » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:03 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I'm thinking Mike will roll with Compton at RT.

+1
He was on the PS last season but was paid like he had a roster spot :shock:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

piggie

Postby fetus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:01 pm

I was thinking this exact same thing Chris, polumbus fared well but I would like to see what Tom Compton can offer in the longterm
RGIII and the terrible D

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:17 pm

I hope the trend towards younger and faster continues

finding young, fast players that can be coached up to be a better fit and will be playing for a longer term is better for everyone :lol:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Would be awesome. He is an athletic freak.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:35 am

I'm curious to see what body-type they go after in the draft at the TE position. If we can find someone in the mold of a Gronk, Hernandez or Graham... That'd be gold.

That being said, Paulsen grew on me. He stepped his game up last year and filled in for Davis quite well. I don't think there was one time where I wish Davis was in there instead of him... Which makes me wonder if Davis is worth the money he could potentially demand.

Could Davis's production be matched by Paulsen? I'd say that Paulsen could come close. But I think Fred is a player that defenses have to be aware of. He is a matchup problem for most LB's.

John Kiem wrote:So the Redskins don't necessarily need free agency to improve. A return to health of key players and a solid draft, along with the development of the past two drafts — which yielded an NFL-high 21 picks — will help as much as anything.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:46 am

SkinsJock wrote:I hope the trend towards younger and faster continues

Me too!
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I'm curious to see what body-type they go after in the draft at the TE position. If we can find someone in the mold of a Gronk, Hernandez or Graham... That'd be gold.

That being said, Paulsen grew on me. He stepped his game up last year and filled in for Davis quite well. I don't think there was one time where I wish Davis was in there instead of him... Which makes me wonder if Davis is worth the money he could potentially demand.

Could Davis's production be matched by Paulsen? I'd say that Paulsen could come close. But I think Fred is a player that defenses have to be aware of. He is a matchup problem for most LB's.

John Kiem wrote:So the Redskins don't necessarily need free agency to improve. A return to health of key players and a solid draft, along with the development of the past two drafts — which yielded an NFL-high 21 picks — will help as much as anything.

Exactly. With Davis' issues and injury I think we're doing fine without him. He could make a difference sure, but something's got to give to free up space.

I'd take cutting Davis over cutting Moss. Moss has still got it and like you said, Paulson did a fine job filling in for Davis.

As for a possible TE draft, I really like Travis Kelce; dude even looks scary:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1516 ... avis-kelce

Alright let me suggest something crazy real quick:
What if we were to trade Davis & Rak? I mean don't get me wrong, both great players, but I'm questioning their long term reliability and feel perhaps we should cash those chips while they still have worth.

Could we get maybe an early 2nd or perhaps late 1st round pick for them together?

piglet

Postby rg3togarcon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:44 pm

I'd like to see us try and keep Orakpo and Davis. Those are two big pieces on either side of the ball. Hopefully Fletch decides to play again. He's too much of a leader to lose. I love D-Hall, but the guy gets burnt too often. He's a better slot man than anything. Our secondary will be better next year if we have Tanard back and if we keep Meriweather. He's injury prone but he's like another Bob Sanders. When he's on the field he's a difference maker. Williams surprised me this year. He coulda been better but he also got left to dry a lot with the play of our CBs and the lack of safety help with Doughty and Gomes. We gotta draft another corner or safety. Or sign one. Kenny Phillips wouldn't be a bad sign if we signed him for cheap. I'm a big fan of Banks from MS State. Maybe he'll drop out the first round and we can get him in the 2nd. Our offense is straight, we just gotta get another more explosive receiver. Someone to make a threat to take pressure off Garçon. A Mike Wallace signing would be great with RG3's arm but I doubt we'll look into that.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football