Challenges Ahead (Draft and Free Agency)

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
+++++++++

Challenges Ahead (Draft and Free Agency)

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:37 am

The Redskins looked promising this season, but we ended things on a sour note. RGIII will most likely miss all of our off season workouts which means he won't be working on developing timing and rapport with any new weapons on offense.

This team looks to be over the cap and there's no first round draft pick. Serious attention must be paid to the offensive line, WR corps, linebacker corps and secondary... So, how exactly are we going to do that without any money to spend? Surely we can't expect our draft to net any big stars who will contribute right away, so what do we do?

We could use another WR or two, Fred Davis should come back, we desperately need a RT (and maybe a LG!), can we count on Orakpo to play a full season?, how do we fix the secondary?

This offseason is going to be tough, and in order to build on the success of 2012 the team has a lot of tough choices to make.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

---

Re: Challenges Ahead (Draft and Free Agency)

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:Serious attention must be paid to the offensive line/we desperately need a RT/nd maybe a LG!

Everyone here and in the world thought our line was the worst thing at the start of the season. They played amazing. RT needs to be improved but everything else is solid. I don't think it warrants the level of dire attention that many people paint it to be.

Skinsfan55 wrote:WR corps

Again, I slightly disagree. Garcon missed a huge amount of time, RGIII is still setting records. Josh still wasn't 100% from his SanFran injury but will be this year. He still led the team in receptions. Past the starters, we could possibly use maybe 1 other player. I'd like to see Aldrick have time to mature. Hankerson is at the end of his rope though and I've pulled for him.

Skinsfan55 wrote:linebacker corps/an we count on Orakpo to play a full season?

We need London's replacement and to resign Rob. We have depth there and could get another rookie.

Skinsfan55 wrote:and secondary

Bring back Tanard. Bring back Meriweather. Keep Hall in the slot but have him train heavy at FS. We have Chase that's coming back fresh this season. If he's as good as advertised, he's starting opposite of Josh. Possibly draft another CB in the 2nd round that can start right now.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby gregory smith » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 am

I totally agree, we have many problems and little available money and draft picks to work with. The return of injured players will certainly help. Orakpo, Carriker, Meriweather, Robinson, Helu, hopefully Minnifield. That group alone makes your football team better. Then we can hope for continued development of young players like LeRibeus, Compton, and Hankerson. The return of these injured players, and the development of young guys helps, but the needs at OL, WR, S, CB, still exist. I am still holding out hope that the salary cap penalty be lifted. We were robbed.

Hog

Postby ACW » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:33 pm

WR is somewhat of a luxury. If we get someone in the late round, great, but I'm fine with our current corps+Davis.

;furious; Mara.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:48 pm

gregory smith wrote:I totally agree, we have many problems and little available money and draft picks to work with. The return of injured players will certainly help. Orakpo, Carriker, Meriweather, Robinson, Helu, hopefully Minnifield. That group alone makes your football team better. Then we can hope for continued development of young players like LeRibeus, Compton, and Hankerson. The return of these injured players, and the development of young guys helps, but the needs at OL, WR, S, CB, still exist. I am still holding out hope that the salary cap penalty be lifted. We were robbed.

Agree with everything you said. 10/10, would read again :up:
XVII XXII XXVI

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:15 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:This team looks to be over the cap

If there is one thing the Skins have proven capable of during the last decade, it's cap management. I don't think we need to worry about it.

we desperately need a RT (and maybe a LG!),

"Desperate" is too strong a word. We probably need a better player to start at RT. But then the depth issue is resolved, as Polumbus is certainly good enough to provide depth.

I also don't agree on LG. Liechtensteiger proved his worth and LeRibeus could even steal the starting spot.

can we count on Orakpo to play a full season?, how do we fix the secondary?

I hate to say it but I am a bit pessimistic on Orakpo in the long-run.

Our secondary is the true obvious problem. I am optimistic on Jackson playing for us and making an impact. I am pessimistic on Merriweather staying healthy for more than 1-2 games next year. I wonder if he will even make the roster, depending on the competition we bring in.

I think the biggest problem facing this team is making smart moves that bolster our depth. There are relatively few positions where we need a new starter. But in 1-2 years we will be in big trouble if we aren't successfully laying the groundwork right now. We have drafted well the past two years and have maybe made the right moves in free agency. Another solid year will be all we need, IMHO, to compete both this year and the following season.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:24 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I hate to say it but I am a bit pessimistic on Orakpo in the long-run.

Agreed.

Irn-Bru wrote:I am optimistic on Jackson playing for us and making an impact.

Agreed.

Irn-Bru wrote:I am pessimistic on Merriweather staying healthy for more than 1-2 games next year.

I'm not. His last injury was a total freak type deal. I think they rushed him back in a panic. His play in that half warrants keeping him through the offseason. Get him healthy. Let the chips fall where they may. However, draft a contingency plan.

Irn-Bru wrote:I think the biggest problem facing this team is making smart moves that bolster our depth. There are relatively few positions where we need a new starter. But in 1-2 years we will be in big trouble if we aren't successfully laying the groundwork right now. We have drafted well the past two years and have maybe made the right moves in free agency. Another solid year will be all we need, IMHO, to compete both this year and the following season.

Agreed. I think offensive line has some depth to it. As you stated earlier, it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Pass protection is the biggest problem, RGIII masked it. So did the scheme.

We have a young group of CB's in the wings. Mostly untested but we'll see. Didn't one return the punt against Baltimore to set up the FG?

TE's, we could use depth there. Apparently the team is scouting heavy at the senior bowl. I wouldn't be shocked if they let Fred do his thing and we go after a Jimmy Graham type player.

We need a change of pace back for Morris. I think we have Helu, who's a bit of both and could carry the load if injury occured. But we need a guy that's a speedster to insert into the lineup every so often.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:53 pm

It's incredibly optimistic to expect Chase to contribute to the 2013 team in any capacity.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby ACW » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:[We have a young group of CB's in the wings. Mostly untested but we'll see. Didn't one return the punt against Baltimore to set up the FG?
7th-rounder Richard Crawford. Also picked Romo.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:It's incredibly optimistic to expect Chase to contribute to the 2013 team in any capacity.

Why not?

Per John Keim before being shut down to fully heal...

6. Minnifield continues to impress. He did a nice job in man coverage vs. Pierre Garcon on one play, executing a good jam and then turning and running stride for stride down the field, forcing Robert Griffin III to look elsewhere. Minnifield hasn’t looked overmatched vs. the starting receivers.

We got 2nd round talent as an undrafted FA due to injury. He comes from a good pedigree, played well in college and played well during camp. What is there to not be optimistic about?

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:41 pm

It's one thing to expect Chase Minnefield to make a contribution (which is optimistic in itself) but it's another to herald him as a starting CB next season. He went undrafted for a reason.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:49 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:It's one thing to expect Chase Minnefield to make a contribution (which is optimistic in itself) but it's another to herald him as a starting CB next season. He went undrafted for a reason.

Nobody was heralding the man. We're trying to make the most out of what we have due to unfair restrictions imposed upon us.

Chase was a 2nd round pick, had it not been for his injury. He didn't go undrafted because of a lack of skill or ability to play in this league. He was injured and EVERYONE listed him as a great pickup.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:53 pm

It's meaningless to list someone as "second round talent" when they went undrafted. That's like if I said "I was astronaut talent until I overslept and missed the calculus final!"

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:05 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:It's meaningless to list someone as "second round talent" when they went undrafted. That's like if I said "I was astronaut talent until I overslept and missed the calculus final!"

That's fine if that's how you want to think that way.

To the rest of the world, players are ranked and slotted. Pre-injury, he was a 1st/2nd round talent. Regardless if you want to

2012 NFL Draft: Players Who Will Make Late Surge into 1st Round

Senior cornerback Chase Minnifield provided the University of Virginia with 50 tackles, one and a half sacks, and three interceptions, including an interception against Duke which he ran back 54 yards for the touchdown.

Minnifield's solid defensive skills and his ability to excel in zone coverage was a key factor in his success this past season.

Minnifield plays the run extremely well, has excellent body control and is a proven tackler.

Invited to the NFL combine, expect Minnifield to show off his athletic ability and six foot frame to provide him with the chance to be selected in the first round.

It isn't illogical to hope that in 100% health, he'll be the same talent.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:It's incredibly optimistic to expect Chase to contribute to the 2013 team in any capacity.
You must be going out of your way to be pessimistic. There is no reason, at this time, NOT to be optimistic that Minnifield will be a bonus.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football