Official Who We Should Draft Thread

Put all your thoughts and musings on the 2013 NFL Draft right here! Mocks... profiles... trades... you name it.
Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:52 am

Why is draftsite.com predicting our first pick in the 2nd round will be Sharrif Floyd?

He is really that good? I'd figure us getting Ray Ray or the likes...perhaps Poyer. I'm starting to like Poyer's game performance.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:12 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Why is draftsite.com predicting our first pick in the 2nd round will be Sharrif Floyd?

He is really that good? I'd figure us getting Ray Ray or the likes...perhaps Poyer. I'm starting to like Poyer's game performance.

It's early, but that site looks a bit all over the place. No way Ray Ray goes that high. We may get him, but he's going 6-7th round if at all. I'd prefer DJ Swearinger or Phillip Thomas. They don't even have Swearinger being drafted! :shock: Lost all credibility. He could go 2nd-3rd round. SMH

He wears #36 for Sean Taylor and plays like a guy who has studied him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMVXXAF0u64

Not sure why they have us taking a D Tackle in the 2nd and a 5-10 WR in the third, when our two most pressing needs are in the secondary & at Tackle.

I do think they are right about Tyran Mathieu going high 3rd round though. I doubt teams pass up that kind of talent.

In a perfect world, we end up with: 2 CORNERS - 1 SAFETY & 1 TACKLE in the first 4 picks. I'd run to the podium for any of these players.

CB Poyer/Rhodes in the 2nd
S Swearinger/Thomas in the 3rd or Tackle Dallas Thomas
T Brennan Williams or Tyran Mathieu in the 3rd / 4th
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:58 pm

The Hogster wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Why is draftsite.com predicting our first pick in the 2nd round will be Sharrif Floyd?

It's early, but that site looks a bit all over the place. No way Ray Ray goes that high. We may get him, but he's going 6-7th round if at all. I'd prefer DJ Swearinger or Phillip Thomas. They don't even have Swearinger being drafted! :shock: Lost all credibility. He could go 2nd-3rd round. SMH

He wears #36 for Sean Taylor and plays like a guy who has studied him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMVXXAF0u64

Not sure why they have us taking a D Tackle in the 2nd and a 5-10 WR in the third, when our two most pressing needs are in the secondary & at Tackle.

I do think they are right about Tyran Mathieu going high 3rd round though. I doubt teams pass up that kind of talent.

In a perfect world, we end up with: 2 CORNERS - 1 SAFETY & 1 TACKLE in the first 4 picks. I'd run to the podium for any of these players.

Thanks for the link brother. I agree its crazy to think Swearinger isn't going to get drafted.

I like your draft picks as well. Best thing about this draft is that there seems to be plenty of secondary talents which is exactly what we need. Seems like us trading up so much for RG3 will still allow for us to have a pretty good draft :)

Postby yupchagee » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 pm

The Hogster wrote:

I'd switch that.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:31 am

yupchagee wrote:
The Hogster wrote:

I'd switch that.

So just any two safeties? Which two?
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby yupchagee » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:07 am

The Hogster wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
The Hogster wrote:

I'd switch that.

I don't follow college football that closely, but I think Thomas from Fresno looks interesting. Beyond that, I don't know.
Skins fan since '55

Postby yupchagee » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:09 am

The Hogster wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
The Hogster wrote:

I'd switch that.

I don't follow college football that closely, but I think Thomas from Fresno looks interesting. Beyond that, I don't know.
Skins fan since '55

Hog

Postby ACW » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:14 am

Gotta say, wouldn't mind getting Barner in a late round. Smash and Dash v. 2.0?
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:31 pm

ACW wrote:Gotta say, wouldn't mind getting Barner in a late round. Smash and Dash v. 2.0?

+1

I was an advocate of drafting LaMichael James last year, but we didn't get a chance. Part of my desire to draft Tyrann Mathieu is that 1) you can never have too many corners and I think he will develop into a starting playmaker and 2) he is probably the best returner in (or out) of college football.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 pm

How about this guy?

J.J. Wilcox, S, Georgia Southern

Sources have said the Redskins will look to upgrade their defensive backfield with corners and safeties over the offseason. Wilcox's range and athletic ability fits what Bruce Allen and Raheem Morris look for in safeties.

Wilcox (5-11, 214) is a good athlete who contributed as a runner, receiver and kick returner for Georgia Southern. He finished his career at safety and recorded 88 tackles with three passes broken up and two interceptions as a senior. Some feel that Wilcox has the speed and athleticism of a cornerback. He averaged 24 yards per kick return in college.

A strong performance at the Senior Bowl really helped Wilcox's draft status. He showed the ability to play man coverage and really competed well with the talent from the big schools.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:12 am

Another guy I like in the later round is Brian schwenke c/g Cal...made a name for himself in the senior bowl and is a perfect fit for zbs.

I think i'm in the minority here, but i'm not so sure safety is one of our bigger needs. Merriweather and Jackson are going to be ahuge upgrade to what we had last year. The one game merriweather played for us, he was abig factor and made some plays. probably just me though

I'd like to see us get better at cb, ol, and dl

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Jeremy81 wrote:Another guy I like in the later round is Brian schwenke c/g Cal...made a name for himself in the senior bowl and is a perfect fit for zbs.

I think i'm in the minority here, but i'm not so sure safety is one of our bigger needs. Merriweather and Jackson are going to be ahuge upgrade to what we had last year. The one game merriweather played for us, he was abig factor and made some plays. probably just me though

I'd like to see us get better at cb, ol, and dl

+1 on Schwenke

I do think we need to add a Safety who can develop into a starter though.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:59 pm

^^ what he said

we might be OK ... but I certainly hope we add some future starters to our secondary

this FO and the scouting department have done well recently but we REALLY need to continue to add depth EVERYWHERE

it seems like there are a lot more players losing playing time than in the past and having good depth is critical
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:00 pm

SkinsJock wrote:^^ what he said

we might be OK ... but I certainly hope we add some future starters to our secondary

this FO and the scouting department have done well recently but we REALLY need to continue to add depth EVERYWHERE

it seems like there are a lot more players losing playing time than in the past and having good depth is critical

i agree with both of you. depth is important. I just think there's more important holes to fill. but like i said, i know i'm probably in the minority. but this draft, i'd like to see us get better at OL, CB, DL, even WR before the safety position.

either way, should be a fun next few months to debate it!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:46 am

Jeremy81 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:^^ what he said

i agree with both of you. depth is important. I just think there's more important holes to fill. but like i said, i know i'm probably in the minority. but this draft, i'd like to see us get better at OL, CB, DL, even WR before the safety position.

either way, should be a fun next few months to debate it!

Unless you mean with the earlier pick, I am not seeing the difference in what you're saying versus what we are saying. We need to add good players at all of the above positions, but it's tough to say who will contribute right away.

The Skins took Guard Josh Leribues in Round 3, but our 6th round pick--Alf Morris wound up contributing more.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to NFL Draft 2013