Play of the Year

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Play of the Year

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Looking for a positive play. Nominations?

Here's one:

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:41 pm

I remember this topic from last year, how it was difficult to really pick out a decent play. This year we have the opposite problem.

Nothing wrong with that TD run against the Vikings.

I'm tempted to go with the bomb to Robinson in the Dallas game. It's like we could finally open up against Dallas and pound them; they didn't have to be low-scoring nail-biters only, or games where we were playing major catch-up. And on a personal level, my siblings and I got my dad a new TV for Christmas, and I set it up so that this exact play would run as he and my mom walked into the room and saw their new TV for the first time.

But I think I might go with Griffin's TD to Garcon in the Saints game. It had a bit of everything: a very important game against a hyped opponent, excellent poise by Griffin, a superb run by Garcon, "Griffining," and the true opening to a new era in Redskins history.

How many others are there to choose from, though? Morris running down the throats of the Giants d-line to seal that game. Griffin's amazing 4th and long, time-buying scramble against the Giants in our first game against them. Rob Jackson's beautiful pick on Romo. Collins' cool scramble to tie against the Ravens. The bomb to Moss against the Eagles, showing that maybe we can get just a little lucky every now and again. Morris running down the throats of Dallas to seal that game (and the division) on primetime. I'm probably missing another half-dozen. What an awesome year for us.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:02 am

The sideline lob and back shoulder tds to moss were a beautiful tosses from RGiii.. and great hand/ feet by moss. What amazing awareness and timing on both parts. Fun to watch, at least one was against the pukes if not both.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:04 am

That bomb to Robinson was sweet. But that 70 yard run was something else. Its a tough call.
Garcons catch and run for a TD against the pukes is arguably better then Robinsons TD.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:29 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKnMSGyyvbY

Not the best quality, but I love this hit by London in the 1st Dallas game. It saved a TD.
#21 = Forever in our hearts

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:54 am

The moss catch against the boyz and the run against minnesota.
But what stands out to me was against the giants.when RG3 faked out JPP on that 4th down play to Paulsen.

That was sweet to me even though the outcome of the game sucked.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:44 pm

The first one that sticks out to me was the 88 yard pass to Garcon against NO. It was RGIII's coming out party.

Perhaps the most important play of the year was Rob Jackson's INT against Romo with 3 mins left in the 4th quarter of week 17. I felt DAL had momentum but Jackson's INT sealed the game (and season) for us.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Postby Superskins » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Although it was not the most athletic play - which might go to either Garcon's RAC in the first Dallas game or the RG3 run in the Vikings game - I would say that the most important play of the year would have to go to Rob Jackson because with Dallas only down by 3 points with 3 minutes to go, his interception won not only the game but the first division crown since 1999.

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:25 pm

A lot of great plays to chose from for once in several seasons. Haven't seen the Cousins TD pass and 2 point conversion vs the buzzards mentioned yet......those were significant plays in that game for us.

But, for me, I think RGIII's run vs the Vikings was probably the play I will remember most from this past season. The Vikings had beaten us last season with the backup QB and RB at our house. While we played them tough, and were winning, the Vikings seemed to have momentum in that game, and there was an anxiousness in the crowd that the Skins were about to implode again.

RGIII said after that he recognized the defensive call, and he was either going to the hot read for a quick pass, or he was going to keep the ball and run. It all hinged on what happened immediately after the snap. I was sitting in the end zone where RGIII was running to. I remember seeing him break through the pass rush, and run to his left. He picked up a block, turned the corner, and just flat out ran away from everyone else on the field. It was like he was gliding.

That play just sticks out in my mind as demonstrating both the smarts of RGIII, as well as his sheer athletic ability and speed.

Not a shortage of good choices, though......
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

the 'mudge

Re: Play of the Year

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:55 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Looking for a positive play. Nominations?

Here's one:

This one...

why?

Because, NEVER BEFORE, has this team had a quarterback capable of doing this. While there were no other 70 yarders this year, he made it clear, this won't be the last... It was this play that pretty much turned off the pass rush for the rest of the season.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:09 pm

1. RGIII 76 Yard Run vs MIN.
2. COUSINS QB Draw for game tying 2 PT CONV vs BAL.
3. RGIII 30 YD Go-Ahead TD Pass to S MOSS with 1:15 remaining at NYG.
4. RGIII 56 YD TD Pass & acrobatic catch by GARCON at DAL on TDAY.
5. RGIII 17 YD back shoulder TD pass to S MOSS.

HONORABLE MENTION:

R JACKSON GAME SEALING INT.

A MORRIS 32 YD TD run in 4th QTR put WAS up 11 over DAL WK 17.

RGIII 80 YD TD Pass to GARCON at SAINTS WK 1.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby ACW » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I remember this topic from last year, how it was difficult to really pick out a decent play. This year we have the opposite problem.
Ain't it great? :D
RGIII's 76-yarder or 88-yard pass to Garcon is tops.
Rob Jackson's INT, RGIII's beauty of a TD to Moss, Cousins winning the game get honorable mentions.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football