Free Agent Thread

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:31 pm

I prefer getting guys via the draft, but I don't think that is an option considering what we need and the draft picks we have for instant contributors. We need upgrades at:
- DB: 2
- CB: 1
- DE: 1
- OT: 1
- OG: 1
- WR: 1

Additionally, we could always use more depth at the OL and DL positions (who couldn't).

I'm not sure who will be available, but I think the WR and OG positions are the ones most easily transferable from team to team, so I would try to get them via FA if possible.

I would love to see the skins draft a DB with their 2nd round choice.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:36 pm

markshark84 wrote:We need upgrades at:

What do you consider a CB to be, if not a DB? I suppose you mean safety, but I would remind you that we have a few who did not play this season, for various reasons, who should be good to go next year.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:32 am

markshark84 wrote:I prefer getting guys via the draft, but I don't think that is an option considering what we need and the draft picks we have for instant contributors. We need upgrades at:

Additionally, we could always use more depth at the OL and DL positions (who couldn't).

I'm not sure who will be available, but I think the WR and OG positions are the ones most easily transferable from team to team, so I would try to get them via FA if possible.

I suspect that we will draft the BPA at DB, RT or a position to rush the passer, preferably the DL.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:15 pm

The Hogster wrote:
markshark84 wrote:I prefer getting guys via the draft, but I don't think that is an option considering what we need and the draft picks we have for instant contributors. We need upgrades at:

I suspect that we will draft the BPA at DB, RT or a position to rush the passer, preferably the DL.

+1 - PLUS - I think these guys have shown that they can do well with draft picks in the later rounds

I think that we'll see a lot of players trying to be a part of this franchise AND I think that the guys that are here will be all charged up to do even better this coming season

quality depth is ALWAYS going to be VERY important
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby ACW » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:05 pm

I think wideout is the LEAST of our worries now.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:09 am

secondary...secondary did i mention secondary....
some OL Depth wouldn,t hurt either. i would also consider dl help as well and use free agency to plug in a few holes here and there.also keeping in mind that we resign players and the cap restrictions (hint,hint) the mara penalty.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:46 pm

The Hogster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:You have to figure there will be plenty of WRs around the league who would jump at the chance to play with RGIII.

+1

Finally people will want to come here for a football reason. And, not just to get paid.

Bowe is clearly a stud. OTOH, he will be expensive.

I think we are pretty good at this position. Will Shanny continue to value character and age more than sheer talent?

Interesting stat - even though we had the 3 fewest paas attempts in the league we had 4 guys with 38+ catches not to mention 49 from the TE position. Plus, our guys get OPEN.

I really want a "lock down" corner.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Free Agent Thread

Postby ACW » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:41 am

Surprised this hasn't been started.

If the Ravens don't re-sign him, and if we can afford him, I'd LOVE to get Paul Kruger. Considering 'Rak's injury propensities and the fact that Rob Jackson is a free agent...

Aqib Talib would be nice.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:33 am

The Redskins are in a really tight spot with the cap and they have a lot of needs. In my opinion they need to really bargain hunt. The #1 guy on my free agent wishlist is RT Ryan Harris.

Harris has had some injury problems but he's a perfect fit for the ZBS and was a star for Shanahan's line in Shanahan's last year in Denver. He'd likely come fairly cheap and he already knows the system.

Next, since secondary is an issue the team has to ask: is Hall worth keeping? (We could save a lot of money by cutting him). If not, we need a new CB, if so... we need to decide if he's going to play in the slot, as a starting CB or is he going to be a FS. Personally, I think he's gone and CB is a big priority.

When the team got Josh Wilson is was a big coup and I'd love if we could do that again. Pro Football Focus suggests Leodis McKelvin... he'd be a solid pick to replace Hall and in a deep CB market, there's going to be guys like him who are still without a chair when the music stops. Grabbing a guy like him or Bradley Fletcher would be a good fit.

I also think London Fletcher might be a cap casualty. If that's true, we need a guy in the middle. Rey Maualuga had a rough year for the Bengals and might be done in Cincy. He's got all the tools though, I wonder if we could get him on a backloaded deal.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:The Redskins are in a really tight spot with the cap and they have a lot of needs. In my opinion they need to really bargain hunt. The #1 guy on my free agent wishlist is RT Ryan Harris.

Harris has had some injury problems but he's a perfect fit for the ZBS and was a star for Shanahan's line in Shanahan's last year in Denver. He'd likely come fairly cheap and he already knows the system.

Harris hasn't started a full season since Shanny coached him, he was Derek Newton's backup and last year was Newton's 2nd year in the league and 2nd year in the ZBS. He was cut by the O-line needy Egirls before he went to the Texans and was the #3 RT for the Houston for most of the season before becoming the backup

Skinsfan55 wrote:Next, since secondary is an issue the team has to ask: is Hall worth keeping? (We could save a lot of money by cutting him). If not, we need a new CB, if so... we need to decide if he's going to play in the slot, as a starting CB or is he going to be a FS. Personally, I think he's gone and CB is a big priority.

When the team got Josh Wilson is was a big coup and I'd love if we could do that again. Pro Football Focus suggests Leodis McKelvin... he'd be a solid pick to replace Hall and in a deep CB market, there's going to be guys like him who are still without a chair when the music stops. Grabbing a guy like him or Bradley Fletcher would be a good fit.

McKelvin's best year was in 2010 with 2 picks and about 50 tackles he's combined for about that much over the two years and finished last year on the Bills IR list.

They can extend Hall three years and move him to FS (something I've been suggesting for about three seasons) and save about $5.5M in cap space. Crawford and Minnefield can battle for Hall's CB spot with the loser being the #3. That would save cap space, and fix your issue with the secondary, without spending on a 5'10" 27 yr old coming off a groin injury

Skinsfan55 wrote:I also think London Fletcher might be a cap casualty. If that's true, we need a guy in the middle. Rey Maualuga had a rough year for the Bengals and might be done in Cincy. He's got all the tools though, I wonder if we could get him on a backloaded deal.

Didn't Rey Maualuga play in a 4-3 in Cincy? Can he play in a 3-4? Fletcher will probably retire... either way he'll save about $3M in cap space. K Robinson was playing pretty good prior to going on IR and is already under contract. Leadership will be the biggest lost when Fletch goes.

Throw in a few restructured/extended contracts (some options are Moss, Trent,Carriker,and Morgan) and the current cap situation isn't as bad as people think. The front office doesn't really backload deals, which is why although they are on the hook for another $18M in capgate charges they are still in better shape capwise than about a third of the league.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:29 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:The Redskins are in a really tight spot with the cap and they have a lot of needs. In my opinion they need to really bargain hunt. The #1 guy on my free agent wishlist is RT Ryan Harris.

Next, since secondary is an issue the team has to ask: is Hall worth keeping? (We could save a lot of money by cutting him). If not, we need a new CB, if so... we need to decide if he's going to play in the slot, as a starting CB or is he going to be a FS. Personally, I think he's gone and CB is a big priority.

I also think London Fletcher might be a cap casualty. If that's true, we need a guy in the middle. Rey Maualuga had a rough year for the Bengals and might be done in Cincy. He's got all the tools though, I wonder if we could get him on a backloaded deal.

I thought Ryan Harris might have been on our radar last year, but we didn't go after him--to my knowledge. His health is an issue. Otherwise, you'd think he'd get a look.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Any chance we go after Tavaris Jackson as a cheap, talented, and fast backup who'd be dangerous in the pistol?

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:16 pm

^ If you go with him, you'd might as well go to a wishbone, and surrender the passing game.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Countertrey wrote:^ If you go with him, you'd might as well go to a wishbone, and surrender the passing game.

I'm only thinking in terms of backup. We also seem to get guys open. I hear ya, though.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:16 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Countertrey wrote:^ If you go with him, you'd might as well go to a wishbone, and surrender the passing game.

I'm only thinking in terms of backup. We also seem to get guys open. I hear ya, though.

W....T....F..... Have you heard of Kirk Cousins? Did you watch the Browns game? The can adapt the scheme from being innovative back to the scheme that the Texans run and that won SB's with Elway...
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to General Manager's Office