Official Who We Should Draft Thread

Put all your thoughts and musings on the 2013 NFL Draft right here! Mocks... profiles... trades... you name it.
#######

Official Who We Should Draft Thread

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:36 pm

It's that time. College bowl games are over. The East West Shrine & Senior Bowl games are approaching. This thread is only for those of us who want to highlight certain players that we have a legitimate chance to draft. Put on your GM hat, and list who you think should be on our radar this year. If you're really astute, put what round you think the guy will be drafted in, and include as much info as possible i.e. Highlights, background info etc.

For the first offseason we are realistically building for a SuperBowl run. Who would be good pieces to add?
SPIT HAPPENS!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:15 pm

Here is my board based on need & who I think will be available. We hold the 22nd pick in each round, and have

Round 2

Jordan Poyer CB OREGON STATE
4.4 playmaker. Cover corner who hits and takes INTs to the house. If he's there, run to the podium.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaVJ_v5WK1k

Dallas Thomas OT Tennessee
6'5 310 lbs. Athletic and physical tackle. Rated #5 overall. Played Left Tackle in college. Projected high 2nd round pick, but if he falls would be a steal.

Round 3

Phillip Thomas S FRESNO STATE
Beast. Just look at his highlight reel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7R24OSpXVI

Brennan Williams OT UNC
6'7 315 lbs. Athletic & physical tackle. Similar to Thomas. Would fit the ZBS.

Round 4

Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU
He would have gone 1st round at some point without the marijuanna issues. I would take a chance on him. He's a playmaker at CB & Punt Returner. Would allow the fans to rejoice with the release of Brandon Banks. Can play Returner and Gunner on ST while learning CB, or may be ready to play right away. You can never have too many corners. Take him in the 4th if he's around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KBPaoS6odk

Round 5

Shamarko Thomas S SYRACUSE
4.39 safety who makes plays. Has speed & ability to play either position.

Round 5

Brian Swenkey C CALIFORNIA
6'3 307 Center Physical, strong and athletic. He's dominating at the Senior Bowl. Looks like a lumberjack. My kind of country fed center. Mauling guys. Good prospect to develop behind Montgomery.

Round 6

Kenjon Barner RG OREGON
4.4 speed back in the mold of LaMichael James. The change of pace back that could flourish in a ZBS. Good pass catcher, burner who could pose problems out of the backfield.

Round 7

Travardo Williams RUSH OLB CONNECTICUTT

Runs a blazing 4.4 Forty and has amassed 30.5 sacks in college. Plays at a small school and could slip in the draft due to the lack of competition and lack of size. Could be the young situational pass rusher that the Skins covet. Isn't an every down 3-4 OLB at 6'2 233. But can be effective in situations.
Last edited by The Hogster on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:20 pm

The Hogster wrote:Here is my board based on need & who I think will be available. We hold the 22nd pick in each round, and have

Round 1

No Pick

Round 2

4.4 playmaker. Cover corner who hits and takes INTs to the house. If he's there, run to the podium.

6'5 310 lbs. Athletic and physical tackle. Rated #5 overall. Played Left Tackle in college. Projected high 2nd round pick, but if he falls would be a steal.

Round 3

Brennan Williams OT UNC

Round 4

Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU
He would have gone 1st round at some point without the marijuanna issues. I would take a chance on him. He's a playmaker at CB & Punt Returner. Would allow the fans to rejoice with the release of Brandon Banks. Can play Returner and Gunner on ST while learning CB, or may be ready to play right away. You can never have too many corners. Take him in the 4th if he's around.

Round 5

Round 5

TBA

Round 6

TBA

Round 7

TBA

Honey Badger I like, but his "off the field issues" concern me. Granted, I don't know of many kids, when in college, that didn't have a little too much fun. Maybe I'm just being too judgmental.

Personally, if I had a crystal ball and knew they'd behave themselves in the pros, I'd like to see Honey Badger and Ray Ray drafted. Tall order.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:13 pm

Yeah, his weed smoking is an issue. Not because he smoked weed, but because he apparently couldn't stop. But, on the other hand, if he played like that as a weed head, I can only imagine how he could play if he cleans up his act.

One benefit is that he's probably fallen to the 3rd round at the earliest, likely a 4th round pick. With veterans in our locker room, and guys to mentor him like Trent Williams, Fred Davis, & Tanard Jackson who have all been busted for weed, I think he's worth the risk.

I think he'll be able to not smoke weed. But, you can't fix stupid. Hopefully he was just a cocky and arrogant athlete who didn't think he'd ever be in serious trouble. And, not a moron.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:42 pm

The Hogster wrote:Dallas Thomas OT Tennessee

But his name is Dallas. :puke:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:43 pm

The Hogster wrote:Yeah, his weed smoking is an issue. Not because he smoked weed, but because he apparently couldn't stop. But, on the other hand, if he played like that as a weed head, I can only imagine how he could play if he cleans up his act.

One benefit is that he's probably fallen to the 3rd round at the earliest, likely a 4th round pick. With veterans in our locker room, and guys to mentor him like Trent Williams, Fred Davis, & Tanard Jackson who have all been busted for weed, I think he's worth the risk.

I think he'll be able to not smoke weed. But, you can't fix stupid. Hopefully he was just a cocky and arrogant athlete who didn't think he'd ever be in serious trouble. And, not a moron.

Definitely man. But you know what, if we were to snag up some quality young FAs and got some steals in our first couple picks, he may very well prove to be worth the risk on the 4th or 5th round.

Some people are even going as far to say that he'll end up an undrafted free agent. I'd pull the trigger on that in a second but its unlikely to me.

Highlight video looked vicious...hope this kid doesn't waste his talent.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:45 pm

The Hogster wrote:Yeah, his weed smoking is an issue. Not because he smoked weed, but because he apparently couldn't stop. But, on the other hand, if he played like that as a weed head, I can only imagine how he could play if he cleans up his act.

I don't think those are the three best vets to mentor him on being able to forgo the sticky icky.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Deadskins wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Dallas Thomas OT Tennessee

But his name is Dallas. :puke:

Yes, Virginia would work much better.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:55 pm

I actually like the trend of big corners and safeties.

Based on who I think will be available in the 2nd round. Any one of these players will do.

Xavier Rhodes*, CB, Florida State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.44.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

David Amerson*, CB, N.C. State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 194.
Projected 40 Time: 4.46.

Matt Elam*, S, Florida
Height: 5-10. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2

Alec Ogletree*, ILB, Georgia
Height: 6-3. Weight: 236.
Projected 40 Time: 4.61.
Projected Round (2012): 1-2.

Kevin Minter*, ILB, LSU
Height: 6-2. Weight: 242.
Projected 40 Time: 4.63.

Shayne Skov, ILB/OLB, Stanford
Height: 6-3. Weight: 243.
Projected Round (2012): 2-3.

Cofield has been great. But I still don't consider him a true NT.

Kwame Geathers*, DT, Georgia
Height: 6-6. Weight: 350.
Projected 40 Time: 5.55.
Projected Round (2013): 3-5.

Daniel McCullers*, DT, Tennessee
Height: 6-8. Weight: 360.
Projected 40 Time: 5.45.
Projected Round (2012): 3-5.

Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
Height: 6-3. Weight: 205.

Terrance Williams played with RG3. Terrance also managed to lead college football this year in receiving yardage with 1832.

So basically I wouldnt mind us picking up any one of these players or a couple of these players.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:58 pm

Deadskins wrote:

I don't think those are the three best vets to mentor him on being able to forgo the sticky icky.

:lol:
SPIT HAPPENS!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:01 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:I actually like the trend of big corners and safeties.

Based on who I think will be available in the 2nd round. Any one of these players will do.

Xavier Rhodes*, CB, Florida State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.44.

David Amerson*, CB, N.C. State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 194.
Projected 40 Time: 4.46.

Matt Elam*, S, Florida
Height: 5-10. Weight: 205.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2

Alec Ogletree*, ILB, Georgia
Height: 6-3. Weight: 236.

Kevin Minter*, ILB, LSU
Height: 6-2. Weight: 242.
Projected 40 Time: 4.63.

Shayne Skov, ILB/OLB, Stanford
Height: 6-3. Weight: 243.
Projected Round (2012): 2-3.

Cofield has been great. But I still don't consider him a true NT.

Kwame Geathers*, DT, Georgia
Height: 6-6. Weight: 350.
Projected 40 Time: 5.55.
Projected Round (2013): 3-5.

Daniel McCullers*, DT, Tennessee
Height: 6-8. Weight: 360.
Projected 40 Time: 5.45.
Projected Round (2012): 3-5.

Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
Height: 6-3. Weight: 205.

Terrance Williams played with RG3. Terrance also managed to lead college football this year in receiving yardage with 1832.

So basically I wouldnt mind us picking up any one of these players or a couple of these players.

I like Amerson too, I just expect him to be drafted before we pick. But, if not--run to the podium.

As far as Geathers, I like him. I have a nephew that plays LB for Georgia. Their defense is stacked with NFL talent. If we draft a guy like Geathers, then what do we do with Chris Neild or Chris Baker? One of those guys would likely have to go. Geathers is a space eater though, so I think he's an upgrade over the lesser of the two.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:20 pm

Deadskins wrote:

ROTFALMAO

I was thinking the same thing. The fact the skins have those guys on our roster makes it MORE LIKELY the honey badger will continue to have his substance abuse issues. Not less.

I think it has become obvious from previous history (i.e., Haynesworth, LL, McNabb) that bad lockeroom guys can crush team chemistry. He has all the talent, but if they draft him our FO better be 110% positive he has done a complete 180 --- because if not he will 100% hurt the team more than he could ever help it.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:21 am

the Redskins current roster is a HUGE improvement over what we had a few years ago ..
while we have some very savvy vets the average age has gone way down the past couple of years

btw - Talib was a CB I did not think was worth the risk ... I was wrong - he made out well

Mike is a lot like Belicheat and they manage things in much the same manner - they are in charge and the guys in the locker rooms know it
you step out of line here or you do not make a huge effort to be better and help the other players around you - YOU ARE GONE

we've had a huge turnaround in players here recently - this is a VERY different place to come and play

IF Mike & Bruce bring in a "troubled" player I'd be very surprised if that player does not do whatever it takes to make it here

We are that type of place now ... :lol:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:52 pm

UPDATED: 01/23/2013

Round 2

Round 3

Brennan Williams OT UNC

Round 4

Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU

Round 5

Round 5

Brian Swenkey C CALIFORNIA
6'3 307 Center Physical, strong and athletic. He's dominating at the Senior Bowl. Looks like a lumberjack. My kind of country fed center. Mauling guys. Good prospect to develop behind Montgomery.

Round 6

Kenjon Barner RB OREGON
4.4 speed back in the mold of LaMichael James. The change of pace back that could flourish in a ZBS. Good pass catcher, burner who could pose problems out of the backfield.

Round 7

Travardo Williams RUSH OLB CONNECTICUTT
Runs a blazing 4.4 Forty and has amassed 30.5 sacks in college. Plays at a small school and could slip in the draft due to the lack of competition and lack of size. Could be the young situational pass rusher that the Skins covet. Isn't an every down 3-4 OLB at 6'2 233. But can be effective in situations.

Free Agents

Perry Jones RB Virginia
Taylor Reed ILB SMU
Oday Aboussi OT Virginia
Vince Williams ILB Florida State
Cooper Taylor S Richmond
Last edited by The Hogster on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:59 pm

mmm... cloudy the future is... predictiing late second round pick in January very difficult... Exhaustive pre-draft process there will be... mmm

No Pressure, No Diamonds

Return to NFL Draft 2013