Any and All News About RG3's Knee - Merged

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:37 pm

faster and wiser

Faster because this is an Olympic quality athlete and his determination to excel will mean that he will be better than he was this season PLUS Dr Andrews just made that knee structurally better than it was - no worries

wiser because he's had a year in the NFL and he and Kyle have a much better idea now on what will work for them both - they will combine the read option plays and the pistol formation to maximize the potential from having one of the fastest QBs EVER with a QB that has amazing touch with his passes

I am so excited and so looking forward to the next 10 - 12 years

I would expect a lot of other teams to try and copy this Redskins offense but finding a QB that is as good as RG3 is next to impossible - they might have the athletic ability but it's very difficult to imagine a QB with speed, with amazing touch and velocity on his passes AND is also incredibly bright mentally - NOT happening
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:40 pm

btw - i have not been able to find out if AP was ever a part of an Olympic training program OR if he was ever considered for one :wink:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:41 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:I believe the whole medical staff should be replaced and I think Dr. Andrews should be involved in the hiring of new personel, Orakpo had the same injury last year that he reinjured this year, and so did Ray Lewis but we see the difference. I also think that when RG3 was injured in the Raven's game he should have been put on IR. Seriously because what grade 1 strain get's worse 1 month after the fact. Mike Shanahan may have believed RG3 wasn't as injured as he was or made a bad decision, in any event what's done is done and we can't go back now. We can only go further and hope Snyder brings in new medical people and gives Dr. Andrews more lead way and hope that Snyder also does something with the field at FEDEX Field, it was embarrassing what happened to the Bermuda Grass that was once a staple there during the early years??? Isn't this team worth more than green mud??? Heck RFK never had turf that messed up.

+1
couldn,t agree more..
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:58 pm

SkinsJock wrote:btw - i have not been able to find out if AP was ever a part of an Olympic training program OR if he was ever considered for one :wink:

Jock, I admire your optimism, BUT I have a very hard time believing that RGIII will come back from this as a more dynamic athlete. I am prepared to be amazed by his recovery, but my expectations are somewhat lower than yours. Fingers crossed.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:08 pm

UK - this kid has had an incredibly good history of growing up, setting goals and exceeding EVERY time

there's no guarantee but this kid is a more talented runner than AP and he does not have to take the bashing - he will be better prepared through the rehab and there is no doubt in my mind he will be more determined than AP

I absolutely understand that there is no guarantee but we are dealing with an amazing athlete who is also VERY bright mentally

also with fingers crossed

btw - why look at all the terrible sides of this - that's no fun and there's NOTHING we can do about it anyway

PLUS

that's what the NFC East and John Mara are all doing :lol:

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:03 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:btw - i have not been able to find out if AP was ever a part of an Olympic training program OR if he was ever considered for one :wink:

Jock, I admire your optimism, BUT I have a very hard time believing that RGIII will come back from this as a more dynamic athlete. I am prepared to be amazed by his recovery, but my expectations are somewhat lower than yours. Fingers crossed.

I am actually optimistic because of his youth and his freakish athleticism already. He's not the normal case. His ligaments are now repaired. The main issues will be regaining the strength, range of motion etc that he had before. I have no doubt that he will. Especially at his age. Although AP is a different case, they have similar freak-like qualities. And, RGIII also has that intangible thing called "youth" on his side.

If he were 29, I'd be less optimistic. But, he's 22. I'm 32, and I can't even recover from a hangover like I did at 22. I have no worries about RGIII getting back to even better than before. It's just a matter of time.

BTW - Dr. Andrews said a critical part of his rehab will be getting his Quads stronger to protect the knee. Well, being that this is how he looked coming out of college. I can only imagine what kind of power and explosion he'll be running with with an 8 month program focused mainly on his lower body.

SPIT HAPPENS!!

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:38 pm

The work ethic, determination and drive that he has will make regaining his strength a non-issue. He could realistically be ready for the regular-season opener, but I’m sure a conservative approach will be employed when determining the timing for his return to play.

I have little doubt that when Robert Griffin III steps back onto the field, his level of play will be unchanged from what became accustomed to seeing during his rookie campaign, but perhaps he will stay in the pocket more often. This season, he led the Redskins to their first NFC East title in 13 years and was selected to the Pro Bowl. He is also deserving of being named Rookie of the Year. Next season, I would not be surprised if he is named Comeback Player of the Year and leads his team to the Super Bowl.

This is a man who will once again comfortably carry the weight of the franchise.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/wash ... ery-011013
#21 = Forever in our hearts

Postby GoodOldDays » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:02 pm

SkinsJock wrote:there's no guarantee but this kid is a more talented runner than AP and he does not have to take the bashing - he will be better prepared through the rehab and there is no doubt in my mind he will be more determined than AP

Determination and talent only matter so much in situations like this. One of the biggest reasons AP's recovery went so well is because of factors beyond his control - i.e. amazing genetics when it comes to the interior of his knee joint. When a 70-year old orthopedic surgeon says he has never seen anything like your knee, you know you have a slightly unusual situation.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 pm

GoodOldDays wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:there's no guarantee but this kid is a more talented runner than AP and he does not have to take the bashing - he will be better prepared through the rehab and there is no doubt in my mind he will be more determined than AP

Determination and talent only matter so much in situations like this. One of the biggest reasons AP's recovery went so well is because of factors beyond his control - i.e. amazing genetics when it comes to the interior of his knee joint. When a 70-year old orthopedic surgeon says he has never seen anything like your knee, you know you have a slightly unusual situation.
OTOH... he was a 70 year old SURGEON... looking at the INSIDE of his knee... do you think that was simply a matter of academic curiousity?
Last edited by Countertrey on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:26 pm

The Hogster wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:

I am actually optimistic because of his youth and his freakish athleticism already. He's not the normal case. His ligaments are now repaired. The main issues will be regaining the strength, range of motion etc that he had before. I have no doubt that he will. Especially at his age. Although AP is a different case, they have similar freak-like qualities. And, RGIII also has that intangible thing called "youth" on his side.

If he were 29, I'd be less optimistic. But, he's 22. I'm 32, and I can't even recover from a hangover like I did at 22. I have no worries about RGIII getting back to even better than before. It's just a matter of time.

BTW - Dr. Andrews said a critical part of his rehab will be getting his Quads stronger to protect the knee. Well, being that this is how he looked coming out of college. I can only imagine what kind of power and explosion he'll be running with with an 8 month program focused mainly on his lower body.

DUUUUUDE!!! I can't believe how fast he's recovered!!!!!!

Couldn't resist ;)

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Ha. But seriously, look at dude's quads. Per Dr. Andrews, a big portion of his rehab will focus on getting them even stronger. He may wind up being even more explosive. His track background will keep him emphasizing flexibility and speed.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:37 pm

The Hogster wrote:Ha. But seriously, look at dude's quads. Per Dr. Andrews, a big portion of his rehab will focus on getting them even stronger. He may wind up being even more explosive. His track background will keep him emphasizing flexibility and speed.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I mean seriously dude's quads are massive.

RG3 comes out of surgery like "yeah man I'm gonna recover fast, I mean check out these wheels brah." Dr. Andrews says "yeah I know...disappointing, we'll have to work on those for sure."

Postby GoodOldDays » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Countertrey wrote:OTOH... he was a 70 year old SURGEON... looking at the INSIDE of his knee... do you think that was simply a matter of academic curiousity?

Andrews was performing the surgery, I don't think there was much curiosity involved. He said other than the tear the knee was flawless - compared it to a newborn baby. Do I think Robert's knee will be that clean given the previous injury? Doubtful.

Look, I'm not saying Griffin won't come back and be fine. I just think there are some factors outside of his control.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:42 pm

GoodOldDays wrote:
Countertrey wrote:OTOH... he was a 70 year old SURGEON... looking at the INSIDE of his knee... do you think that was simply a matter of academic curiousity?

Andrews was performing the surgery, I don't think there was much curiosity involved. He said other than the tear the knee was flawless - compared it to a newborn baby. Do I think Robert's knee will be that clean given the previous injury? Doubtful.

Look, I'm not saying Griffin won't come back and be fine. I just think there are some factors outside of his control.

Keep in mind that he's a QB though. He's not running full speed into a an object that is applying force in the opposite direction. Robert just needs to retain that speed and elusiveness that helps him be a dual threat.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:46 pm

GoodOldDays wrote:

I think he'll be 100% again. Sure just another guy's opinion, but Dr. Andrews has expressed a lot of optimism so I'd say just from that, he has a good chance.

Even if he is slower, he'll still be able to scramble, o-line will continue to improve, WRs will continue to get better or swapped out with better, and RG3 will become a more and more accurate passer.

We "need" RG3 to be an explosive running QB only when our offense is weak. If our offense strengthens all around he won't have to carry to whole team by himself like he did at the beginning of the year. All we really need for him to do is pass accurately and effectively.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football