FedEx Field

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Should We Go To Field Turf?

No. Football should be played on real grass, even if it's dead.
23%
No. Sod it more often.
58%
Yes. It's embarrassing.
19%

Total votes : 31
#######

FedEx Field

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:35 pm

I have a question. I'm no expert in agriculture. So any input would help me figure this out. First, I'll say that I played football through college. And, I prefer natural grass by far. Mike Shanahan has said he prefers natural grass also. So, I'm not advocating for field turf necessarily. But, in light of the field conditions at FED EX, here is my question.

Can't you just roll out sod?? The kind with grass already in it? I own a rental property and I've done this with my yard. It goes from dirt to lawn in like an hour. Granted it's not a 100 yards of yard. But, can't a billion dollar operation afford enough sod to cover a playing surface??

I fail to understand why the players have to play on what one Seahawks player said was "dirt painted green." Even Doc Walker says the field is just dirt. It's got a few blades of grass, but it's basically just dirt. Even my fiance watching the game said the field looked messed up. And, finally--not blaming it on this singularly--but RGIII's foot got stuck in the "dirt" around the same place where Adrian Peterson blew his knee up. Anyway, what alternatives are there for natural grass?? Alternatives to painted dirt that is.

Here's Michael Robinson's video of the field before the game.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21533403/watch-michael-robinson-documents-shoddy-fedex-field

This is what I'm talking about

What keeps this team from rolling this out at the bye week, or before the playoffs?? What am I missing.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:38 pm

Football is an outdoor game. Mud happens... mud is part of football. Relish it. Some of the best games in Redskins history were played in the mud bowl of RFK.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:39 pm

Definitely we should stick with grass, but it's shameful that Snyder doesn't have a plan in place to provide a decent playing field.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Countertrey wrote:Football is an outdoor game. Mud happens... mud is part of football. Relish it. Some of the best games in Redskins history were played in the mud bowl of RFK.

This is true. I'm all for rain, snow, grass, & mud games. But, when the surface looks more like a baseball diamond, then that's a problem.

There's something to be said about grass. The smell in the summer just says FOOTBALL TIME. The dew in the morning. All of that is essential to the game.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

swine

Postby RG3peat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:03 pm

You need time for it to take....it wont hold either if ya roll it out and play on it....it has to grow into the dirt below and take hold.

WHAT SNYDER needs to do is STOP having other events on the field like other games, concerts, etc....these are factors that have taken place. So he is also to blame for the injury to an extent. He has enough $$$ to buy another venue and make $$$ off of other events.....Hes as CHEAP as he is rich......

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 pm

The turf has nothing to do with either injury... in fact, a player is far more likely to have a catastrophic knee injury on artificial turf... this is a load of crap.

swine

Postby RG3peat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Countertrey wrote:The turf has nothing to do with either injury... in fact, a player is far more likely to have a catastrophic knee injury on artificial turf... this is a load of crap.

I agree....I just like to still blame Snyder....Its still shamefull that he would have that type of field for his players....If the grass is loose though there is a point when injuries go from pulled muscles due to slippage to tears when it gives out and then suddenly catches again. Multimillionaire being CHEAP!!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:26 pm

I agree that the biggest issue is the extra events. Sure seems like we could not have those extras during football season.

Here's the Cardinals' solutuon:

http://gosw.about.com/od/sportsandrecre ... dium_3.htm

The Cardinals Stadium features the first fully retractable natural grass playing surface built in the United States. Designed by CMX Sports Engineers, the retractable playing field is situated on 19 million pound tray that sits on 13 rails. The tray is layered starting with the grass on top which sits on a foot of sand. Under the sand is the plumbing for the grass and under the plumbing is the tray liner that prevents the water for the field from leaking into the wheels and engines. The tray is driven by 76 one horsepower engines and it takes the engines approximately 65 minutes to move the tray. An opening on the southeast side of the stadium allows the playing field to move to the exterior of the building so the entire natural playing surface can be exposed to daylight when it is not in use. This unique design element prevents the problems that have plagued the grass at Chase Field and saves an estimated $50 million in cost. With the field in the outboard position, the 158,000-square foot floor is unencumbered by the turf and features a built-in utility grid.

A new stadium where RFK sits with a roll-on field would be awesome.

Sod stays loose for a while and has troublesome seams. We want turf with deep roots that is not trampled excessively.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:03 pm

Countertrey wrote:The turf has nothing to do with either injury... in fact, a player is far more likely to have a catastrophic knee injury on artificial turf... this is a load of crap.

Artificial turf does increase likelihood of injury. But, to say that the field has nothing to do with it is spoken like a person whose never played a sport. Playing on grass is much preferable to playing on dirt. It may not have contributed to RGIII's injury or Peterson's, but it can't be ruled out as a factor--especially when it was a non contact injury.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:10 pm

The Hogster wrote:

Artificial turf does increase likelihood of injury. But, to say that the field has nothing to do with it is spoken like a person whose never played a sport. Playing on grass is much preferable to playing on dirt. It may not have contributed to RGIII's injury or Peterson's, but it can't be ruled out as a factor--especially when it was a non contact injury.
Does every post you disagree with mandate a snarky response? Is civility that difficult for you?

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:18 pm

Countertrey wrote:
The Hogster wrote:

Does every post you disagree with mandate a snarky response? Is civility that difficult for you?

Adrian Petersen went down with a helmet to the knee.

RG III's knee problem started with a hit by Haloti Ngata while his foot was NOT planted. It was not because of the field conditions.

Blaming the turf conditions is something talking heads at ESPN and other places are doing to fill their time. They're like a coffee-clatch of old hags complaining about anything and everything. By the way, F Trey Wingo.

Carry on.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:32 pm

I vote for 10ft sink hole booby-traps. Perhaps have an alligator or starved bear waiting at the bottom. Of course only after training our boys to avoid them

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:26 pm

Bottom line, its in bad shape. Not from natural elements, but from to much abuse and not enough care. It looks like grass at a golf course in bad shape. Three different cuts... Unfixed divots.... And "ruff" in the middle of the fairway! Should be close to prestine every game day and only effected by the elements and damage from THAT games play. Natural grass in good kept condition doesn't injure athletes as much as turf, ok I've read that too, but the crap we have our boys run on probably does even more so-directly or indirectly.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Countertrey wrote:
The Hogster wrote:

You apparently define civility as telling someone that their observation is a "load of crap" without a retort. Whatever.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:46 pm

The foot plants on artificial turf; the player is hit; the foot stays planted; the knee snaps, since something has to give.

That's typical of turf.

Give the groundskeepers whatever they need to keep the field in good shape.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football