Facing forward

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:02 am

SkinsJock wrote:IMO - Bowe is NOT a high character type player :roll:

OK...I'm lazy!

Before I look up Bowe, what indicates that he has a questionable character?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:08 am

Maybe it's just me but this guy has not shown a great desire to be the best he can be on the practice field and during games ON EACH AND EVERY DAY

Great talent but not great desire - just another guy that thinks he's better than he is and wants to leave the situation he's in

If Bowe had made more of an effort this season, I'd say he's worth looking at

I doubt that Bruce & Mike bring him in
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:25 am

SkinsJock wrote:Maybe it's just me but this guy has not shown a great desire to be the best he can be on the practice field and during games ON EACH AND EVERY DAY

Great talent but not great desire - just another guy that thinks he's better than he is and wants to leave the situation he's in

Of course, I was too impatient to wait, so I looked up Bowe. Seems big and fast, but dropped some important passes, and Chiefs appear to have lost interest in him. Sounds like the kind of player that Allen and Shanahan would talk with, sound out: this is your last chance to make a career.

Maybe he cooperates, but maybe he is a less abrasive Terrell Owens?

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:43 am

Hank needs to BULK up or toughen up. He hears footsteps and "gets scared" loosing focus and dropping the ball.

Don't play scare BRAH
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:50 am

I think if we upgrade our D in the offseason, it doesn't matter if it's RG3 or the Kirkster starting next year...we're still going to be a serious threat to win the NFC East.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:53 am

I like Grimes: a bit on the small side BUT TOUGH and great leaping ability. At 5'10.......I've seen him cover 6'2 guys and break up passes.

He only played 1 game this season after tearing his Achilles. Maybe we can get him for less than expected.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/83628 ... les-tendon
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:25 pm

welch wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Maybe it's just me but this guy has not shown a great desire to be the best he can be on the practice field and during games ON EACH AND EVERY DAY

Of course, I was too impatient to wait, so I looked up Bowe. Seems big and fast, but dropped some important passes, and Chiefs appear to have lost interest in him. Sounds like the kind of player that Allen and Shanahan would talk with, sound out: this is your last chance to make a career.

He's a big, fast, talented receiver who has been sure handed. I would compare his hands to Garcon, in that he seems to make every tough catch thrown his way but has occassionally has dropped some catchable passes. But, he's been playing for the Kansas City Chiefs where he has been trying to catch passes from a gaggle of guys who would probably be in the CFL if it weren't for the KC Chiefs.

When evaluating your roster though the question is whether this player makes your team better. In my view, Bowe is easily a marked improvement over Josh Morgan--and would put a great deal of pressure on defenses who may try to take away Garcon with double teams since Morgan hasn't shown the ability to beat anyone 1-1.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:45 pm

There is no doubt that Bowe has the talent and if it's just a matter of getting the best talent available then he's at or near the top of the list

I VERY MUCH doubt that Bowe fits the VERY STRONG character 'mold' that Bruce and Mike want

we'll see

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:55 pm

SkinsJock wrote:There is no doubt that Bowe has the talent and if it's just a matter of getting the best talent available then he's at or near the top of the list

I VERY MUCH doubt that Bowe fits the VERY STRONG character 'mold' that Bruce and Mike want

we'll see

WTH are you talking about. First, how do you know Bowe's character? He plays in KC, do you know him personally? Doubt it.

He was suspended once in his career for what his agent claims was him taking a banned dietary supplement. A PED suspension. On this team, we had C. Griffin & J. Black suspended for the same sort of violation. We also had T. Williams, F. Davis & T. Jackson suspended for recreational drug use violations. I doubt we are only looking for Holy Rollers to bring to this team. Besides, testing positive for Ephedra, Adderall or some other stimulant that the league bans hardly means you are of low character. I'd rather have guys like our guys or like Bowe, than guys who are cancerous to the locker room or have off field issues. Bowe has never been known to be in trouble, and I've never heard of him making a jerk of himself despite being on a terrible team where his talent has largely been wasted.

You also have to trust your own locker room when picking free agents. He will probably never become a team captain here. Some guys aren't built for that. They do best where a locker already has strong leadership. We have that here.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:55 pm

Fred Davis we have to keep! I would say Cooley is gone. I hope everyone coming off IR can make a impact and with the reduction in cap and lack of 1st round pick I say the players on IR will be very important, Tanard Jackson should be reinstated and he is a baller period, hopefully Merriweather is back there and that would and may even be the best safety tandem in the NFC East. I think we also need a stud RT, cut ties with #77 he is too injury prone and Polumbus is an above average player that should be second string. I hope Helu comes back as our 3rd down back and can spell Morris but Royster to me is the odd man out, he did nothing good IMHO this year and ran like his feet were in mud. I think we also need to cut ties with Hankerson and Morgan or maybe use them as trade bait for a starting lineman and or linebacker, I think we need to slowly phase London Fletcher out if he comes back next year which is a big if.............Not sure Moss will be back either...........

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:04 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Fred Davis we have to keep! I would say Cooley is gone. I hope everyone coming off IR can make a impact and with the reduction in cap and lack of 1st round pick I say the players on IR will be very important, Tanard Jackson should be reinstated and he is a baller period, hopefully Merriweather is back there and that would and may even be the best safety tandem in the NFC East. I think we also need a stud RT, cut ties with #77 he is too injury prone and Polumbus is an above average player that should be second string. I hope Helu comes back as our 3rd down back and can spell Morris but Royster to me is the odd man out, he did nothing good IMHO this year and ran like his feet were in mud. I think we also need to cut ties with Hankerson and Morgan or maybe use them as trade bait for a starting lineman and or linebacker, I think we need to slowly phase London Fletcher out if he comes back next year which is a big if.............Not sure Moss will be back either...........

Moss is still our second best WR. I hope the team recognizes this and brings him back. I like Morgan, he's a hometown guy and plays hard. But, he just doesn't scare anyone as a #2 receiver. I'd upgrade his position with Bowe. It would be nice if Hankerson would step up and overtake him, but he's not been consistent enough. The only guys we have who go across the middle without fear are Garcon & Moss. SMH Both Hankerson & Morgan have gotten alligator arms.

As for London Fletcher, I think he could play for 2 more years. If you watch the NFL Replay footage, you can see how valuable he is. He's telling Haslett on the sidelines what plays the team is running out of which formations. He's the guy that Bowen and Cofield are asking what to do. London not only has the physical ability to play at a high level, but his knowledge and leadership is irreplacable right now. Keenan Robinson isn't ready enough to be a leader in the middle. Ryan Kerrigan doesn't seem to be a vocal leader. And, you'd want to have one of your middle backers be the leader anyhow.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:29 pm

The Hogster wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:Fred Davis we have to keep! I would say Cooley is gone. I hope everyone coming off IR can make a impact and with the reduction in cap and lack of 1st round pick I say the players on IR will be very important, Tanard Jackson should be reinstated and he is a baller period, hopefully Merriweather is back there and that would and may even be the best safety tandem in the NFC East. I think we also need a stud RT, cut ties with #77 he is too injury prone and Polumbus is an above average player that should be second string. I hope Helu comes back as our 3rd down back and can spell Morris but Royster to me is the odd man out, he did nothing good IMHO this year and ran like his feet were in mud. I think we also need to cut ties with Hankerson and Morgan or maybe use them as trade bait for a starting lineman and or linebacker, I think we need to slowly phase London Fletcher out if he comes back next year which is a big if.............Not sure Moss will be back either...........

Moss is still our second best WR. I hope the team recognizes this and brings him back. I like Morgan, he's a hometown guy and plays hard. But, he just doesn't scare anyone as a #2 receiver. I'd upgrade his position with Bowe. It would be nice if Hankerson would step up and overtake him, but he's not been consistent enough. The only guys we have who go across the middle without fear are Garcon & Moss. SMH Both Hankerson & Morgan have gotten alligator arms.

As for London Fletcher, I think he could play for 2 more years. If you watch the NFL Replay footage, you can see how valuable he is. He's telling Haslett on the sidelines what plays the team is running out of which formations. He's the guy that Bowen and Cofield are asking what to do. London not only has the physical ability to play at a high level, but his knowledge and leadership is irreplacable right now. Keenan Robinson isn't ready enough to be a leader in the middle. Ryan Kerrigan doesn't seem to be a vocal leader. And, you'd want to have one of your middle backers be the leader anyhow.

+1

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Agree about Santana Moss. If Bowe has "it" inside, then I'd love to have two big fast WR's.

Remembering Charley Taylor and Roy Jefferson, even though George Allen probably worried more when the Redskins threw a pass than when the opponent did. Taylor and Jefferson were still a great pair...and adding Jerry Smith...sometimes, we would cheer if the Redskins fell behind, because then Old George would be forced to let Kilmer or Jurgensen throw.

As for Fletcher, I think it's a decision for him to make. He is certainly a fine player, but does he want another year of battering on-field?

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:09 pm

welch wrote:Agree about Santana Moss. If Bowe has "it" inside, then I'd love to have two big fast WR's.

Remembering Charley Taylor and Roy Jefferson, even though George Allen probably worried more when the Redskins threw a pass than when the opponent did. Taylor and Jefferson were still a great pair...and adding Jerry Smith...sometimes, we would cheer if the Redskins fell behind, because then Old George would be forced to let Kilmer or Jurgensen throw.

As for Fletcher, I think it's a decision for him to make. He is certainly a fine player, but does he want another year of battering on-field?

True. Father Time is undefeated. I read that after injuring his ankle, Fletcher didn't practice for something like the last 7 weeks of the year. I think with his experience level and the amount of time he puts in off the practice field, that we could afford to have him participate in a limited capacity for the whole year, to keep him fresh.

Fletcher's quote was "I only feel good for 3 hours every week, and that's on game day." I'd bring him back and only have him participate in conditioning through the year. With 17 years of experience, it's not as if he needs practice reps. That could allow his eventual replacement to get some needed experience in practice as well.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:47 pm

welch wrote:

You maybe right welch - I do not know about his attitude - I thought I read he was a bit 'difficult' but I do not know ..

Bowe is a really good WR and I'm sure we'll soon find out if he's the type of character guy that Mike wants because his talent is sky high

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football