Facing forward

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Skins History Buff

Facing forward

Postby welch » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Let's assume that Kirk Cousins will start at QB all season in 2013. What else can we see?

- Rex G returns as backup

- Focus on the defense...especially DBs and LBs.

- A decision to be made about Fred Davis. He was good, but the Redskins won without him. Is he worth paying?

- Garcon needs to get his foot healed. Best receiver in a long time

- Santana might be 33 or 34 next year, but he's still sharp.

- Cooley? Sadly, I can't imagine him returning.

- OL took injuries and improved. Maybe the Redskins draft another lineman a few rounds down?

- Defense will improve just by having Orakpo return.

- I hope London Fletcher returns, but I don't have to live with his pain. If he retires, hire him as a coach.

- Draft a safety and a linebacker. Of the current safeties, definitely keep Reed Doughty even though he's not all-pro. Still good enough to make the team

- Keep Lorenzo Alexander.

- Keep D. Young. He does the job with no fussing and dramatics.

- DeAngelo Hall is good enough. Sometimes makes my head hurt, but he can play, and CB is a tough position.

- What about all the RB's not named "Morris"? Which ones are keepers?

What else?

(Yes, Redskins should win NFC East next season, in tight battle with the Giants)

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:44 pm

If Cousins is the starter, I think the team keeps Fred Davis as an extra target for him along with Paulsen. Paulsen is good, but Fred is a faster YAC threat. Would Davis demand that much considering the Skins just won the division? I think players want to be a part of this thing.

Santana stays. He's not asked to do as much as he used to, and he can still hurt other teams.

O-line needs to continue to gel. Draft depth, cut Brown.

I'd keep Helu out of all the other RBs. Picking up a speedy back would be nice.

Agreed that London needs to either play, or get a coaching job here. He's football smart and a great mentor and teacher. Either way, top draft picks should be spent on his future replacement and a safety.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog

Re: Facing forward

Postby grampi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:45 pm

welch wrote:Let's assume that Kirk Cousins will start at QB all season in 2013. What else can we see? Uh, RG3

- Rex G returns as backup Nope, Cousins will still be the backup

- A decision to be made about Fred Davis. He was good, but the Redskins won without him. Is he worth paying? Yes

- Garcon needs to get his foot healed. Best receiver in a long time Agreed

- Cooley? Sadly, I can't imagine him returning. Me either

- OL took injuries and improved. Maybe the Redskins draft another lineman a few rounds down?

- Defense will improve just by having Orakpo return. And Carriker

- I hope London Fletcher returns, but I don't have to live with his pain. If he retires, hire him as a coach.

- Draft a safety and a linebacker. Of the current safeties, definitely keep Reed Doughty even though he's not all-pro. Still good enough to make the team

- DeAngelo Hall is good enough. Sometimes makes my head hurt, but he can play, and CB is a tough position.

What else?

(Yes, Redskins should win NFC East next season, in tight battle with the Giants) Yes, the Skins should win the division again next year, but the Giants have run their course....

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:53 pm

We made great progress this season - I look for more key additions and the guys coming back are just icing on the cake

I don't see a problem with winning the NFC East again - especially because the other 3 franchises are not going to be very competitive .... HA

I am so going to love the fact that our coaches & players feel that STUPID owner tried to 'hurt' our franchise - I'd love to 'open' at NY in 2013
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:59 pm

I agree Welch.
We saw the difference Merriweather made. I think a good saftey would help a bunch with the return of Orakpo as well. Paulsen is a keeper. He can really block and makes most of the catches thrown his way. Doughty is a sound tackler another keeper.
Big ups to this Oline. They looked like the best Oline in the league this year.

Draft wishes,
cornerback, safety, MLB and another NT to help free up Rak and Kerrigan.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:26 pm

We really should consider giving out a lot of awards for many things here ..

at the beginning of this season there was actually concern about how our O line would be even able to 'protect' our investment .. let alone have the rushing yards we had - the defense lost a really key player and still managed to be a bit of a factor - the stats do not tell the full story here ...

I thin we are very fortunate to be here and it must be a pain for the rest of the NFC East to look at how well we did with what we had

we're only getting better here folks - this team has come a long, long way - we have a lot to look forward to
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

#######

Re: Facing forward

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:39 pm

welch wrote:Let's assume that Kirk Cousins will start at QB all season in 2013. What else can we see?

- Rex G returns as backup

- A decision to be made about Fred Davis. He was good, but the Redskins won without him. Is he worth paying?

- Garcon needs to get his foot healed. Best receiver in a long time

- Cooley? Sadly, I can't imagine him returning.

- Defense will improve just by having Orakpo return.

What else?

(Yes, Redskins should win NFC East next season, in tight battle with the Giants)

I think all of your post is correct even if RGIII is the QB.

You definitely pay Fred Davis. He's a playmaker. Paulsen & Paul are still on the roster with Davis, and Cooley is the odd man out.

I agree on D Hall

I think Morris is our workhorse. And, we add some guys. Maybe Hightower is in camp pushing either Helu or Royster. He is probably still the best blocker of them all--even off the street.

In the draft, I'd expect us to take the BPA and add maybe 10-11 guys after some trades.

I also think RGIII is back this year, and Tanard Jackson & B. Merriweather are the starting safeties with Reed on the team
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:21 pm

there have been some that have suggested Hall is only good in certain coverage schemes - can he be used as a safety in those coverages that he's not so great at?

I am not advocating for or against Hall per se but this kid can play and we need DBs

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:59 pm

To piggy back what Hogster said, who put steroids in Doughty's corn flakes Sunday morning? That guy was playing lights out (except for that one completion to a tight end right in front of him that Reed just wasn't fast enough to get to and break up).

Oh, and as for Welch's list, I agree with all of it with the following tweaks:

-We need to keep Rob Jackson (and in my fantasies, I see him being smart enough and hard working enough to perhaps be molded into an inside linebacker until either our newly drafted 3rd round backer develops or permanently)
-I think I'd be OK if the best available DB at our first pick was a Corner who we could convert into a free safety or convert D Hall to that position if the safeties available by that time are not the right fit
-Brandon Banks is history
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:10 pm

This is coming from a Redskins fan who is NOT exactly a Mike or Kyle fan

the performance by the players and the job the coaches have done here this year is for sure a pain in the rear end for 'fans' like Ray in Austin

WELL DONE GUYS - great job, all things considered

I'm looking forward to winning the NFC East this coming season and seeing a consistently competitive product on the field each week

Hog

Postby ACW » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:37 pm

DEFINITELY keep Jackson.

Don't forget about Carriker's return too...A rotation up front of Jenkins, Carriker, Bowen and Cofield could be nasty.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:47 pm

My priorities:

Defense: CBs and safeties

Offense: RT.

the rest ... is gravy. 8)
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:01 pm

emoses14 wrote:To piggy back what Hogster said, who put steroids in Doughty's corn flakes Sunday morning? That guy was playing lights out (except for that one completion to a tight end right in front of him that Reed just wasn't fast enough to get to and break up).

Oh, and as for Welch's list, I agree with all of it with the following tweaks:

-We need to keep Rob Jackson (and in my fantasies, I see him being smart enough and hard working enough to perhaps be molded into an inside linebacker until either our newly drafted 3rd round backer develops or permanently)
-I think I'd be OK if the best available DB at our first pick was a Corner who we could convert into a free safety or convert D Hall to that position if the safeties available by that time are not the right fit
-Brandon Banks is history

Even my fiancé said "wait. Isnt reed doughty the guy you said sucks??". This was after I said Reed Doughty is a beast out there.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:04 pm

You work on keeping Davis... his two very incomplete seasons may keep his value down... so he won't cost what he would have a year ago... but, he's the one weapon we have that can keep pressure off of Garcon. Together, they will be monsters... use him as a wide out a lot...

Doughty played as if something suddenly clicked... he was outstanding. I have always thought of him as a keeper because he was reliable... but I'd love to see him continue on this path. Jackson has to stay... with Orakpo back, they become an awesome rotation.

We need some additional help in the D backfield... and I'd really like to see us possess a true, space eating NT.
Last edited by Countertrey on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Double post, my bad
Last edited by HTTRRG3ALMO on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football