Mike Wise Piece Praising Haslett

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:28 am

Countertrey wrote:
rskin72 wrote:The D is still ranked in the low 20's. I am still not a Haz fan, and would think we could upgrade that coaching position in the offseason seeing as how there probably won't be a lot of $$$ for significant player upgrades.
This d is a lot closer than you give credit for... how awesome was it for that short period that Merriweather was running around terrorizing receivers?

Give Haslett some competent db play, and this is a very different defense.

This D held the CHawks out of the end zone when they picked up the RG III injury fumble at the 5 yard line. 1st & Goal from the 5 -- No TD. Not a bad D there.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:57 am

The NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" place, and Haslett did a very good job over the last half of the season. Our D was probably better than average over that stretch of time.

Now the question is what he can do this offseason to prevent another crisis with only 1-2 injuries. He's got to work with the coaches and personnel people to put his unit in a position to succeed.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Haslett deserves to come back for sure. When you look at the talent he's had to play with...it's not much. I was as disappointed as anyone by the play of the defense in the early-mid part of the season since it seemed any grandma could throw for 300 yards against the Skins (Ponder!!!!), but he did a fantastic job making the defense competitive in the latter half of the season. He deserves a shot to coach the defense with Orakpo, Carriker, and real NFL safeties next year.

One thing I think everyone knows now is that Orakpo really is that good. Kerrigan is a great 2nd pass rusher...but Orakpo is the primary pass rusher for sure. There was some talk on here that Kerrigan was better...I think that should be put to bed now.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:28 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Haslett did a awesome job after the bye, without question, I think that goes for every defensive coach on that side of the ball, that being said I also have been one to want to punch him in the face and I still want him fired because I will expect the same crap next season when it starts and we may not have RG3 to help put up 30 odd points a game.....To me Haslett isn't that attacking defensive coordinator we really need. I say go get Ryan that Dallas fired and he can exact revenge against them and also be more aggressive!!!

:shock: NO WAY

I have been critical of Haslett but I think that Mike is happy with what he's done and Mike's the boss

I hope we don't see anyone from the Ryan family here - for any reason
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:30 pm

:roll:
Last edited by SkinsJock on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:49 pm

PulpExposure wrote:Haslett deserves to come back for sure. When you look at the talent he's had to play with...it's not much. I was as disappointed as anyone by the play of the defense in the early-mid part of the season since it seemed any grandma could throw for 300 yards against the Skins (Ponder!!!!), but he did a fantastic job making the defense competitive in the latter half of the season. He deserves a shot to coach the defense with Orakpo, Carriker, and real NFL safeties next year.

One thing I think everyone knows now is that Orakpo really is that good. Kerrigan is a great 2nd pass rusher...but Orakpo is the primary pass rusher for sure. There was some talk on here that Kerrigan was better...I think that should be put to bed now.

=D> :celebrate: =D> :celebrate: =D> :celebrate: =D> :celebrate: =D> :celebrate:
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:56 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:So, what is the consensus on Haslett now?

I admit that my mind is not made up. He has to be credited for significant defensive improvements over the second half of the seaon. And the injuries on defence were obviously not his fault. A bit more luck with injuries, and surely Haslett could preside over a much improved defence for next season?

The negative on Haslett though is that his defences NEVER seem to be highly ranked, wherever he has been and whatever personnel he has had. He had some success in Pittsburgh, so is that the only time he has ever had decent personnel to work with?

A poor coach, or just unlucky, or underrated? I don't know!

I am far more encouraged by the development in the second half of the season of an old Joe Gibbs tactic, "Go into the locker room make some clever and brilliant adjustments to the game plan and then come out and kick butt". That, for me, is the clearest support for Haz being back. And I don't think its even a close question.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:45 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote:Haslett did a awesome job after the bye, without question, I think that goes for every defensive coach on that side of the ball, that being said I also have been one to want to punch him in the face and I still want him fired because I will expect the same crap next season when it starts and we may not have RG3 to help put up 30 odd points a game.....To me Haslett isn't that attacking defensive coordinator we really need. I say go get Ryan that Dallas fired and he can exact revenge against them and also be more aggressive!!!
There shall NEVER be a spawn of Buddy on the Redskins sideline. Madness... Blasphemy... Obscene.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:54 am

So Haz calls two jail house zero blitzes last year, gets burned and folks complain that was too aggressive and he should be fired. This year he completely turns the d around in second half with a crappy hand talent wise in which he calls less aggressive but more effective blitzes, and now isn't aggressive enough AND should be fired and replaced by a guy who when faced with similar obstacles to overcome couldn't get the job done as well as Haslett did, but is allegedly more aggressive.

Is that about right?

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football