Why'd We Abandon the Run Game?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:59 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
welch wrote:Did not abandon the run. Seahawks saw that Robert Griffin could not throw sharply and could not run.

They stopped running Morris as much. 11 carries in the first half, 5 in the second. I would have thought with an injured RG3 that you would feed Morris more, not less.

Leads right back to poor judgement and poor strategy. But is anyone going to claim that this is some "new" development? For Kyle to abandon the run game? This has happened countless times over the past three seasons, but it's just particularly glaring when Morris was running well, and it was evident to everyone (except Mike and Kyle) that RG3 was no threat at all.

Don't think 10-6 is a great accomplishment, when you have a Ferrari with it's engine knocking and all of the rubber burned off the back tires, only to loose the race in the end, when better driving might have produced better results.

Hog

Postby (d)oink » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:51 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
welch wrote:Did not abandon the run. Seahawks saw that Robert Griffin could not throw sharply and could not run.

They stopped running Morris as much. 11 carries in the first half, 5 in the second. I would have thought with an injured RG3 that you would feed Morris more, not less.

+1
What the....

piglet

Re: Why'd We Abandon the Run Game?

Postby blowwad » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:19 am

ACW wrote::?:

Thank you so much for posting this. I was at the game on Sunday and the entire time this is the question we were asking.

Why is it that the media keeps focusing on why Shannahan kept Griffin in the game while neglecting to ask questions regarding the real reason we lost the game. 16 carries for 80 yards for Morris. Enough said. We should have run the ball down the hawks throat. But (as denny green famously said) we let 'em off the hook. Un-friggin-believable!!!

piglet

Postby blowwad » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 am

blowwad wrote:

Thank you so much for posting this. I was at the game on Sunday and the entire time this is the question we were asking.

Why is it that the media keeps focusing on why Shannahan kept Griffin in the game while neglecting to ask questions regarding the real reason we lost the game. 16 carries for 80 yards for Morris. Enough said. We should have run the ball down the hawks throat. But (as denny green famously said) we let 'em off the hook. Un-friggin-believable!!!

And for the record I'm only replying to this now because I just got back. Damn I hate having to deal with all of these seahawk fans when I have to fight the urge to punch them for their STUPID misinformed comments. Looks to me like we got ourselves a new inner-conference rival boyz.

piglet

Postby blowwad » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:25 am

Ignorance. Not dissing you, just an observation.

Hog

Postby grampi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:33 am

rskin72 wrote:Look, RGIII was having issues vs dullass as well, but we still pounded Morris to the tune of 200 yds. In his interview after the game, I think Shanny also was wondering why we went away from a more run (Morris) oriented attack....at least that is what I heard.

That was the biggest question I had after the game.....vice if Cousins should have come in at half.

RG3 was still able to run the ball vs Dullass, which meant we still had all of our offensive threats. In the Oceanchickens game he couldn't run or pass (because he couldn't step into his throws), therefore all Seattle had to do was man-up against the pass and stop Morris....Cousins coming in after halftime may have given us a chance to win the game, but there's no way he would've taken the the team the rest of the way through the playoffs...

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:46 am

grampi wrote:RG3 was still able to run the ball vs Dullass, which meant we still had all of our offensive threats. In the Oceanchickens game he couldn't run or pass (because he couldn't step into his throws), therefore all Seattle had to do was man-up against the pass and stop Morris....Cousins coming in after halftime may have given us a chance to win the game, but there's no way he would've taken the the team the rest of the way through the playoffs...

I think you're selling the team short to say we wouldn't have made it the rest of the playoffs. Our offense was virtually the same with Cousins in against the Browns (minus the obvious lack of speed that comes with RGIII) and they managed to score 38 points. I know it was only the Browns, but I still think our offense was a threat with Cousins behind the center.

Hog

Postby grampi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:27 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
grampi wrote:RG3 was still able to run the ball vs Dullass, which meant we still had all of our offensive threats. In the Oceanchickens game he couldn't run or pass (because he couldn't step into his throws), therefore all Seattle had to do was man-up against the pass and stop Morris....Cousins coming in after halftime may have given us a chance to win the game, but there's no way he would've taken the the team the rest of the way through the playoffs...

I think you're selling the team short to say we wouldn't have made it the rest of the playoffs. Our offense was virtually the same with Cousins in against the Browns (minus the obvious lack of speed that comes with RGIII) and they managed to score 38 points. I know it was only the Browns, but I still think our offense was a threat with Cousins behind the center.

No way the SKins beat teams like GB, SF, Den, or NE with Cousins....not yet anyway...

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:52 pm

It's water under the bridge. What's done is done. Why speculate? The season is over. Blah, blah, blah ... ifunowutimsayin. Let's just hope The Man gets well.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:01 pm

The Redskins will be fine next season mainly because they play together as a team

RG3 is very special but he cannot be as effective without a good team

we will have that - we're winning the NFC East - no worries

btw - RG3 will be faster and wiser - no doubt about it
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:01 pm

The Redskins will be fine next season mainly because they play together as a team

RG3 is very special but he cannot be as effective without a good team

we will have that - we're winning the NFC East - no worries

btw - RG3 will be faster and wiser - no doubt about it
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football