Trade Cousins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Trade Cousins

Postby SKINS#1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:32 pm

What would it take for you to trade Cousins? I would not consider a trade for anything less than a 1st rd and 2nd rd draft choice and would try to get (2) 1st rd choices if there were a couple teams interested.

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:59 pm

I would not trade Cousins. I doubt that you would get more than a 2nd, at best.

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:04 pm

What is the hurry to get rid of great players? ;furious;

We need QUALITY as a backup QB and Kirk gives us THAT!!!!

PATIENCE. There will be FA and another Draft. I love our picks since Allen and Shanny came here. :wink:
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Re: Trade Cousins

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:21 pm

SKINS#1 wrote:What would it take for you to trade Cousins? I would not consider a trade for anything less than a 1st rd and 2nd rd draft choice and would try to get (2) 1st rd choices if there were a couple teams interested.

Well then, you have nothing to consider. No chance you get a 1st AND 2nd for him.

He's young, which is a plus, but he only had one good game against CLE and a great relief against BAL. Other than that, nothing.

GMs won't put 1st AND 2nd value on a player that hasn't shown (not by his own doing, more because he hasn't had the opportunity, but nonetheless) more consistency. For a GM to give up that kind of value, the trade has to be 100% guaranteed. KC being a top QB is far from guaranteed.

A desperate team MAYBE would give up a first or 2 seconds (and most likely want another player thrown in), but I don't see us getting 1 & 2 or 2 1s for KC. If any GM is the league were willing to do that, I would try to get exclusive/priority trading rights with him.

I understand the desire to deal KC while his past performance(s) are fresh in GMs minds, but RGIII hasn't proven he can play a full year. We need a quality #2 next year and KC is just that. That said, we need to trade him (since it is likely he'll leave to be a starter elsewhere by the end of his contract) when it appears he carries the most value. If it is now, then we need to explore it, but I personally believe that KC will have value next year and if we have a season identical to this past one (and KC can come in and replicate his BAL and CLE performances) then we very well may be able to get that 1 & 2 after next year. Now if he rides pine the entire year behind RGIII he may very well lose value. It's a gamble that MS/BA need to explore.

I see no problem with the FO exploring their options this year, but I hope they understand the importance our 2nd QB has behind RGIII.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:52 pm

I wouldn't actively shop him, but if a team gets uppity and offers us a 2nd round pick (very unlikely) I'd pat him on the back, thank him for all the help, and send him on his way.

Rex Grossman is a capable backup. Last year he has no help other than Roy Helu and for the brief moments the O-Line protected he looked pretty serviceable. He knows the offense.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:What is the hurry to get rid of great players? ;furious;

We need QUALITY as a backup QB and Kirk gives us THAT!!!!

PATIENCE. There will be FA and another Draft. I love our picks since Allen and Shanny came here. :wink:

Stole the words right out of my mouth. I know its selfish of me to say, but if I had it my way, we'd keep Cousins as long as RG3 is with us (not that I think RG3 will ever be leaving).

RG3 will get banged up from time to time. I'm not as worried about him as I used to be; that slide he did in the Dallas game nearly brought a tear to my eye...the man is getting smarting and learning how to protect himself.

That said, there will be plenty of playing opportunities for Counsins in years to come. Once the cap penalty is gone I say just pay Counsins off to stay on the team.

Again, I know he's a starter quality QB, but being a football player is about making your team great, not making yourself great. Sure, Counsins could make the team great that he would start for (hopefully) but he can still possess greatness by being a part of something bigger than himself.

We'll be able to trade other players for more drafts in the future (probably not 1st rounders), and there will be plenty of high quality players in the 2013 draft still available when our picks come up.

Shanahan has proven he has a unique ability to see what others can't in draft steals. I think he'll surprise us a few times in the 2013 draft.

Also keep in mind that our secondary is our weakest link, but they have been getting better and better through the season. Same is true with our o-line. The staff obviously is gifted at making bad players decent. If we got a couple decent drafts in 2013, I think the staff can make them into great players.

We've also seen many times that "great players" don't always fit into our overall strategy. Shanahan seems to be able to find raw talent that can be built on that also fits into our strategy.

Very excited!! We are only going to get better and better as the years go on...not to mention we're getting a lot of powerful players back from injury next year. With getting more depth of high quality drafts, we'll be just fine if the players coming back from injury get hurt again...we've been doing pretty good without them (though we could have done even more with them).

HTTR!!!

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:24 pm

markshark84 wrote:
GMs won't put 1st AND 2nd value on a player that hasn't shown (not by his own doing, more because he hasn't had the opportunity, but nonetheless) more consistency. For a GM to give up that kind of value, the trade has to be 100% guaranteed. KC being a top QB is far from guaranteed..

The other way to look at it: A team in need of a QB can draft a rookie out of college and hope he makes the NFL transition, or spend their draft picks on a first-year QB that played well in college AND proved he can run an NFL offense under pressure and win against NFL first-stringers. Is that enough value for an extra draft pick?

markshark84 wrote:I understand the desire to deal KC while his past performance(s) are fresh in GMs minds, but RGIII hasn't proven he can play a full year. We need a quality #2 next year and KC is just that.

This I totally agree with. We have an aggressive QB that teams gun for, so a good backup isn't just a luxury for us. Would Rex have won both of those games? If not, we wouldn't be looking forward to Seattle right now, we'd be waiting for September... again.

That said, if a team offers up their 1st and 3rd, or 4th, he's outta here. Otherwise, we should continue with the peace of mind that comes from excellent depth at a crucial position.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:32 pm

Hooligan wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
GMs won't put 1st AND 2nd value on a player that hasn't shown (not by his own doing, more because he hasn't had the opportunity, but nonetheless) more consistency. For a GM to give up that kind of value, the trade has to be 100% guaranteed. KC being a top QB is far from guaranteed..

The other way to look at it: A team in need of a QB can draft a rookie out of college and hope he makes the NFL transition, or spend their draft picks on a first-year QB that played well in college AND proved he can run an NFL offense under pressure and win against NFL first-stringers. Is that enough value for an extra draft pick?

markshark84 wrote:I understand the desire to deal KC while his past performance(s) are fresh in GMs minds, but RGIII hasn't proven he can play a full year. We need a quality #2 next year and KC is just that.

This I totally agree with. We have an aggressive QB that teams gun for, so a good backup isn't just a luxury for us. Would Rex have won both of those games? If not, we wouldn't be looking forward to Seattle right now, we'd be waiting for September... again.

That said, if a team offers up their 1st and 3rd, or 4th, he's outta here. Otherwise, we should continue with the peace of mind that comes from excellent depth at a crucial position.

I'd say if teams are "desperate", give them Rexy. After all, they are desperate :)

piggie

Postby capitaldefense » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:47 pm

Not sure what his contract is, probably 3 years, but every team needs a backup who can win games, Rex is not that guy. You keep Kirk until he has 1 year left on his deal and then you trade him for what you can get then. AND ONLY THEN. Shanny is building this team the right way with young players, 6th and 7th rounders that are playing and starting. No matter what happens the rest of this season, what happens if RG3 gets hurt, lets say week 5 next season? You throw in the towel with Rex Grossman or you give yourself a chance to still make the playoffs with a young and up and coming Kirk Cousins?

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:26 pm

You don't trade Cousins

You listen politely to offers before turning down anything less than a first rounder and hope for a bidding war. Lots of teams need a QB and this year seems to have a limited amount of starting quality QBs.

Doesn't mean there aren't any potential back-up QBs in there
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Yup. You don't trade Cousins unless you get an offer that completely blows you away... I mean, Mike Ditka, completely stupid blows you away...

We need an actual quarterback behind RG3. He will be dinged frequently. It's good knowing that there's an excellent chance that we won't miss a beat.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:You don't trade Cousins

You listen politely to offers before turning down anything less than a first rounder and hope for a bidding war. Lots of teams need a QB and this year seems to have a limited amount of starting quality QBs.

Doesn't mean there aren't any potential back-up QBs in there

Without Cousins,

We're probably not in the playoffs and maybe 8 and 8 instead of 10-6. Naturally, some of the geniuses here want to trade him. Dummy that I am, I wouldn't trade him, not even for a no. 1. For starters, it sends the wrong message, as in: Do well here and we'll use you as trade bait. Let him get limited action for a few years and extend his career. Remember Steve Young?
Last edited by crazyhorse1 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:45 pm

We should wait until free agency rolls around before discussing trading Cousins.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:19 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:We should wait until free agency rolls around before discussing trading Cousins.

I agree.

Free agency in 2014!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:22 pm

This stuff is pure fantasy.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football