BCS Playoffs! Playoffs?

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
DarthMonk

BCS Playoffs! Playoffs?

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:13 pm

They're going to 4 teams in 2014. I'd prefer 8.

Of these who would be in your 4 teamer and which 4 would you add to make 8?

1. Notre Dame
2. Alabama
3. Georgia
4. Florida
5. Oregon
6. Kansas State
7. LSU
8. Stanford
9. Texas A&M
10. Florida State
11. Clemson
12. South Carolina
13. Oklahoma
14. Nebraska
15. Oregon State
16. Texas

I like 8 because #3 will have a legit gripe if they get excluded from a top 2 title game justifying a 4 teamer giving #5 a legit gripe, but #9 will never have that claim.

Could you imagine the ratings for 2 quarterfinals on Saturday Dec 15, the semis on the 22, and the finals on Monday Night after Wild-Card Weekend in the NFL?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Re: BCS Playoffs! Playoffs?

Postby Countertrey » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:43 pm

DarthMonk wrote: I like 8 because #3 will have a legit gripe if they get excluded from a top 2 title game justifying a 4 teamer giving #5 a legit gripe, but #9 will never have that claim.

Try them... :wink:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Re: BCS Playoffs! Playoffs?

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:34 pm

Countertrey wrote:
DarthMonk wrote: I like 8 because #3 will have a legit gripe if they get excluded from a top 2 title game justifying a 4 teamer giving #5 a legit gripe, but #9 will never have that claim.

Try them... :wink:

These are mine:

Notre Dame
Alabama
Georgia
Florida

LSU
Texas A&M
Ohio State
Florida State

My number 9 (Oregon) just blew it and has no legit gripe to belonging in a top 2 matchup. Monkey

The BCS #9 (A&M) has 2 losses.

Sorry boys. :-({|=

Imagine these games: in 2 weeks:

FSU vs. ND
OSU vs. Bama
A&M vs UGA
LSU vs. FLA

OMFG! The NFL wouldn't bother with Saturday.

Got 8?

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:47 pm

I'd vote for: no BCS, just bowl games and let them vote. I don't need a BCS champion, and, as Russell Maryland (Miami / Dallas Cowboys) said when the NCAA playoffs was first suggested: "They aren't promising to pay us for these extra games".

Added evidence: colleague of mine at GE in the '80s had a "little cousin" who was recruited to play QB at Boston College to follow Flutie. Considered too small for major college QB, he was still the only kid in New Jersey willing to tackle "Ironhead" Heyward head-on. Became a DB. Suffered a broken back when a team-mate speared him diving into a pile at the goal-line.

The cousin went back to BC to finish his senior year, because he had a scholarship even though they had used up his playing eligibility. The college was angry...thought he should go away if he wasn't playing football. He wanted his degree, and he got it.

(One of the reasons I dislike big-time college football: the hypocrisy about "student-athletes". How many finish without a useful degree and do not have a career in the NFL?)

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:42 pm

welch wrote:I'd vote for: no BCS, just bowl games and let them vote. I don't need a BCS champion, and, as Russell Maryland (Miami / Dallas Cowboys) said when the NCAA playoffs was first suggested: "They aren't promising to pay us for these extra games".

Added evidence: colleague of mine at GE in the '80s had a "little cousin" who was recruited to play QB at Boston College to follow Flutie. Considered too small for major college QB, he was still the only kid in New Jersey willing to tackle "Ironhead" Heyward head-on. Became a DB. Suffered a broken back when a team-mate speared him diving into a pile at the goal-line.

The cousin went back to BC to finish his senior year, because he had a scholarship even though they had used up his playing eligibility. The college was angry...thought he should go away if he wasn't playing football. He wanted his degree, and he got it.

(One of the reasons I dislike big-time college football: the hypocrisy about "student-athletes". How many finish without a useful degree and do not have a career in the NFL?)

I'd pay 'em.

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:43 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
welch wrote:I'd vote for: no BCS, just bowl games and let them vote. I don't need a BCS champion, and, as Russell Maryland (Miami / Dallas Cowboys) said when the NCAA playoffs was first suggested: "They aren't promising to pay us for these extra games".

I'd pay 'em.

DarthMonk

Me, too.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:48 am

welch wrote: .. One of the reasons I dislike big-time college football: the hypocrisy about "student-athletes". How many finish without a useful degree and do not have a career in the NFL?

VERY interesting thought - I agree with this ..

I also agree with the premise that the colleges should find a way to 'pay' student/athletes ...

on a slightly different note .. I also do not think that under the present 'system', a playoff is needed ...

IF it is so 'important' - why could the NFL not have and pay for a college playoff after the bowl games
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:48 am

SkinsJock wrote:
welch wrote: .. One of the reasons I dislike big-time college football: the hypocrisy about "student-athletes". How many finish without a useful degree and do not have a career in the NFL?

VERY interesting thought - I agree with this ..

I also agree with the premise that the colleges should find a way to 'pay' student/athletes ...

Geez, some would think the opportunity for a $100,000+ gratis education might be payment. If the "student-athletes" don't take advantage, then that's on them. I suppose many are just using it as a stepping stone to the NFL, and that's OK, if you are certain of being drafted, but everyone is just an injury away from retirement. And with the rookie wage scale, they may never see that huge payday.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:11 am

Deadskins wrote:Geez, some would think the opportunity for a $100,000+ gratis education might be payment. If the "student-athletes" don't take advantage, then that's on them.

Yup, because there's plenty of very bright kids who can't get a scholarship even though they deserve it. I agree with that DS
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:31 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Geez, some would think the opportunity for a $100,000+ gratis education might be payment. If the "student-athletes" don't take advantage, then that's on them.

Yup, because there's plenty of very bright kids who can't get a scholarship even though they deserve it. I agree with that DS

It's a good point and is often overlooked.

It bugs the hell out of me though when I see awesome athletes at the grocery store buying cheap food for dinner (seen it first hand) cuz they got no cash and can't work and if they get a lift in a golf cart they're suspended while the college rakes in the cash.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:14 pm

If only ...

1 Notre Dame vs. 8 Stanford
2 Alabama vs. 7 Oregon
3 Florida vs. 6 Ohio State
4 LSU vs. 5 Texas A&M

This Saturday the ratings would be through the roof.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:25 am

Notre Dame fans and NBC would be really pissed when Stanford beat them :lol:
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:21 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Notre Dame fans and NBC would be really pissed when Stanford beat them :lol:

But NBC would get over it immediately when the semifinals came along a week later.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:14 pm

Does anyone know who has won any of the bowl games so far?

If we had just had quarters and semis the past two weeks with this week off for next week's final a bunch of us probalby would have watched.

Yawn

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Return to The Lounge