Mike Wise Piece Praising Haslett

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Mike Wise Piece Praising Haslett

Postby ACW » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:38 pm

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:58 pm

I have been one of Hasletts critics thats for sure. I do think he has made some decent adjustments as of late. Hope he keeps it up.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

piggie

Postby FLWSkin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Hard to be super good when both starting safties are out all year and you lose your right side pass rusher and left side edge setter in the first quarter of the second game. Oh, and your backups at all those positions either suck or are basically rookies. Ready....go...... yeah....

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:28 pm

The D is still ranked in the low 20's. I am still not a Haz fan, and would think we could upgrade that coaching position in the offseason seeing as how there probably won't be a lot of $$$ for significant player upgrades.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:54 pm

rskin72 wrote:The D is still ranked in the low 20's. I am still not a Haz fan, and would think we could upgrade that coaching position in the offseason seeing as how there probably won't be a lot of $$$ for significant player upgrades.
This d is a lot closer than you give credit for... how awesome was it for that short period that Merriweather was running around terrorizing receivers?

Give Haslett some competent db play, and this is a very different defense.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

piggie

Postby FLWSkin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:06 pm

I rewatched the Saints game the other day, and wow what a difference Orakpo and Carriker make. I'm still on the fence about Haslett. I realize that some of the problems aren't his fault but at the same time his record is not extraordinary.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Countertrey wrote:
rskin72 wrote:The D is still ranked in the low 20's. I am still not a Haz fan, and would think we could upgrade that coaching position in the offseason seeing as how there probably won't be a lot of $$$ for significant player upgrades.
This d is a lot closer than you give credit for... how awesome was it for that short period that Merriweather was running around terrorizing receivers?

Give Haslett some competent db play, and this is a very different defense.

Absolutely. Merriweather in his short stint, lit a fire under the DBs and it carried over. I hope he is back next year healthy.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:56 am

It's funny how barren a thread is when it comes to eating crow.

I haven't been a major detractor of his, but I've had my moments of anger. I expect and want him back next year. With Orakpo, Meriweather, Carriker, and Tanard Jackson (maybe) back, th is defense will improve drastically. If the offense can still score 30+ a game, we'll win by a more comfortable margin.

In addition, I'm looking forward to seeing our young DB's develop and contribute. And I'd like to see D. Hall resign for less money.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:36 am

I've also been a little harsh on Haslett and I think that too much focus is placed on what we saw at the beginning of the season and not enough credit is given to what is happening NOW

the last few games, both Kyle and Haslett have done pretty good jobs with the players they have

I'll admit - IMHO - we could do a lot worse than seeing these 2 back in place next season :oops:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:54 am

The defence has been better of late, but it was starting from a horribly low base. Haslett didn't deserve all the blame, because the players we lost through injury were vital. We really couldn't afford any injuries on the defence this season, and we were bitten by the injury bug very early, and badly.

I'm still baffled that Haslett was brought in to coach the 3-4 defence, but the improvement in the last 4 weeks has been enough to suggest he deserves another year. A bit of luck with injuries, improved pass rush and secondary, and this defence would probably be good enough - the days of needing a top 5 defence to go to the Superbowl are long gone (if they ever existed in the first place).
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:13 am

G'day from the USA ...

I think that Haslett was brought in by Mike mainly because Mike liked what he did with the 3-4 at the Steelers (I think)

also

Mike wanted a guy in charge of the transformation from the 4-3 that would do ONLY what Mike wanted - Haslett is that guy

Mike is a control freak - this is his team :wink:

again - I've not liked what we saw earlier this season but the recent adjustments have worked ..

I now think (based on weeks 12-17) that Haslett could be back for another year
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby ACW » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:06 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:the days of needing a top 5 defence to go to the Superbowl are long gone (if they ever existed in the first place).
Look at NE last season. Of all the YPG or PPG, their BEST was 15th in PPG.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:18 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:It's funny how barren a thread is when it comes to eating crow.

LOL. +1.

I feel like I'm constantly defending the coordinators on here. It continues to strike me as the lamest of excuses. Clearly there are times when a coach has lost his players and just can't get the job done. But a couple years into a major rebuild like this team, I think the coaches deserve our patience and support - or we're never going to break this cycle.

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I haven't been a major detractor of his, but I've had my moments of anger. I expect and want him back next year.

I've never really been sure how to judge Haz. I always thought the criticism of Kyle was kind of unfair when he had Rex and Becks at QB. Haslett has had a tough job with his current roster, no doubt. It does seem though that are some coaches out there like Wade Phillips, even Gregg Williams, who have beast defenses wherever they go.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:48 am

So, what is the consensus on Haslett now?

I admit that my mind is not made up. He has to be credited for significant defensive improvements over the second half of the seaon. And the injuries on defence were obviously not his fault. A bit more luck with injuries, and surely Haslett could preside over a much improved defence for next season?

The negative on Haslett though is that his defences NEVER seem to be highly ranked, wherever he has been and whatever personnel he has had. He had some success in Pittsburgh, so is that the only time he has ever had decent personnel to work with?

A poor coach, or just unlucky, or underrated? I don't know!
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 am

Haslett did a awesome job after the bye, without question, I think that goes for every defensive coach on that side of the ball, that being said I also have been one to want to punch him in the face and I still want him fired because I will expect the same crap next season when it starts and we may not have RG3 to help put up 30 odd points a game.....To me Haslett isn't that attacking defensive coordinator we really need. I say go get Ryan that Dallas fired and he can exact revenge against them and also be more aggressive!!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football