RGIII taking too many hits?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

RGIII taking too many hits?

Postby riggofan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:02 pm

I was a little worried about Gruden during the MNF game, he had his panties so twisted up over RGIII getting hit. Here's my question to you guys. Is this stuff about RGIII taking too many hits, risking his career, durability, etc; completely over hyped or what?

I understand Griffin is a mobile guy and puts himself at risk sometimes when he scrambles. He's also not the biggest QB out there. But has he really been hit that much more or that much worse than any other QB in the league?

I'll just finish my question with this. RGIII is 6'2" 217 and has been sacked 25 times this season. Three more times than 6'0 209 lbs Drew Brees. 14 times less than 6'2" 225 lbs Aaron Rodgers. So why all the hyperventilating over Griffin?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Because, he's a "running QB." :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby DaveD1420 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:20 pm

I think part of it is physics. Griffin running at full speed getting hit by a defender running at full speed is generating a helluva lot more force than the same defender running into a statue-like QB who is not running. Also, I'll venture a bet that RG3's head is in a vulnerable position more than that of Brees and Rodgers.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:27 pm

I think the one thing that the "experts" discount or perhaps don't understand is that the type of scenario in which the hit occurs is more important than actually being hit.

QBs are most commonly injured because they leave themselves vunerable because a DE will hit them as they are finishing their throw. Since their entire body is occupied by completing their throwing motion, they don't have the ability to soften the hit (or protect themselves upon impact). That is why their helmet hits the ground; they can't role away or put their hands on the ground prior to hitting the turf.

Now if you are a runner, you have that ability. You are in control of where and how you are hit. You are also focused on what is around you and can brace for the hit --- unlike a pocket pass situation.

I believe this is why RBs don't have concussions as much as they should have.

That said, when RGIII tucks that ball, the defense will want to anhilate him because he is such an important part of our team.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:28 pm

DaveD1420 wrote:I think part of it is physics. Griffin running at full speed getting hit by a defender running at full speed is generating a helluva lot more force than the same defender running into a statue-like QB who is not running. Also, I'll venture a bet that RG3's head is in a vulnerable position more than that of Brees and Rodgers.

Plus I see people "out to get him." It's like it's their chance to be the guy who knocks him out. They seem to be making a point of landing hard in the pocket or throwing shoulders and forearms at the head and neck area in the open field.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Griffin is bigger than Adrian Peterson who takes plenty of hits btw. I think he'll be fine. As long as he isn't getting concussed. I'm not as worried about the tackles as much. He falls awkwardly though.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby DaveD1420 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:05 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
DaveD1420 wrote:I think part of it is physics. Griffin running at full speed getting hit by a defender running at full speed is generating a helluva lot more force than the same defender running into a statue-like QB who is not running. Also, I'll venture a bet that RG3's head is in a vulnerable position more than that of Brees and Rodgers.

Plus I see people "out to get him." It's like it's their chance to be the guy who knocks him out. They seem to be making a point of landing hard in the pocket or throwing shoulders and forearms at the head and neck area in the open field.

Exactly.

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:53 pm

I think this was an outgrowth of Gruden's intense desire to criticize RG3 for SOMETHING, ANYTHING....

He can't criticize him for lacking arm strength, accuracy, leadership, speed, clutchness, comebackability, or any other tangible or intangible trait, so this was all that Chucky had left to talk about. It seems like he decided to annoint Eli as "the best QB ever" before the game even started, and he continued that line of thinking even when it was obvious that Eli was groiwng increasingly ineffective while RG3 was simultaneously building a signature win.

Plenty of posters have called attention to the right things: RG3 is comparable in size (or bigger than) plenty of other QBs and RBs who take just as many (or more) hits. Hitting is a part of the game, all players are going to get tackled. I believe that RG3 learned from the ATL hit, and I'd be surprised to see him take another hit like that if he has any means of avoiding it.
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:21 pm

I can't find a stat specifically for hits or times tackled

Here's what I could find.

Hit while throwing Griffin is 13th in the league with 5
1st Andrew Luck with 11
2nd Cam Newton with 10
3rd Joe Flacco with 9

Times sacked Griffin ranks 14th with 26
1st Aaron Rodgers with 39
2nd Phillip Rivers with 36
3rd Cam Newton with 30

I couldn't find anything that shows knockdowns after the pass is thrown, or how many times he was actually hit on rushing attempts, but he does lead the league in Rushing Attempts for a QB but only barely with 37

2nd is Mike Vick with 36 (keep in mind he hasn't played in three weeks)
3rd is Russel Wilson with 33.

I don't see that Griffin is hit all that much more than any other QB and I think a lot of the buzz about it is sour grapes because when Griffin breaks loose he's dangerous. Nobody bashed the Eagles for having Vick run so much even though he had been ailing since the pre-season and he was rushing far more times than Griffin for far fewer yards.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

piggie

Postby FLWSkin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:28 pm

It is the media template. RGIII gets hit too much and is going to get hurt. That was decided before the season so that's what they all say. Research and doing your job doesn't matter in reporting anymore.

Hog

Postby grampi » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Any time you have a running QB the chances of him getting hurt are greater than say a QB like Vinnie Testaverde, who simply couldn't run at all. But I have noticed two things; RGIII seems to be taking more care when he runs by making it harder for players to get a solid hit on him, and they don't seem to be running him as often. These things should reduce his risk of getting hurt, but nothing can eliminate it...

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:41 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:I couldn't find anything that shows knockdowns after the pass is thrown, or how many times he was actually hit on rushing attempts, but he does lead the league in Rushing Attempts for a QB but only barely with 37

2nd is Mike Vick with 36 (keep in mind he hasn't played in three weeks)
3rd is Russel Wilson with 33.

Really good stuff overall, Bob, and thanks for taking the time to look at it. However, when I look at his stats, he has 105 carries, not 37? Cam is #2 for QBs at 95. RG3 has more rushing attempts than Fred Jackson, DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, and many other RBs. He's 31 overall in carries.

That's got to be a concern, though.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Pulp,
To me it a matter of math. How many times does he get hit sitting in the pocket and how many times does he get hit on the run. Everyone assumes that if he didn't run he wouldn't get hit on those plays.
That is a farce!
Did anyone see how many times RG3INT got hit last year behind this OL? Do we really want Robert sitting in the pocket waiting to the last second to deliver a 10 yard pass and get drilled by a DE when he could just take off, pick up the ten yards and NOT get hit.

What you need to know about the math and it is impossible to figure out is how many times he would have gotten hit if he didn't run! If he wasn't a threat to run on every play the NFL DL, LB, and DBs would just blitz him whenever they felt like it and he wouldn't make it through a season. You could make a case that the runs might actually be decreasing the number of times he would have gotten hit!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:32 pm

RGIII is going to get hit. We know that. But, I think we can all be pleased with the amount of punishment he's taken this year, especially given the fact that we all expected our Offensive Line to be among the worst in the league. They're actually above average.

RGIII wasn't sacked at all last night. But, he does take some unnecessary shots when he is running and not getting down or out of bounds.

He will learn how to do this. But, I imagine it's tough when you're running 20 MPH.

I'm not as worried about the hits he takes in the pocket. That's normal. But, he's gotta avoid some of the other kill shots.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

piglet

Postby GFlanagan3 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:41 pm

I wonder if Chucky is upset , still, that he wasn't offered the Redskins job...I remember his name has been floated around some..maybe some of you can fill in the details of why he wasn't given the job..and if he IS upset...just sayin'

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football