Jack Pardee enters hospice: terminal cancer

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Skins History Buff

Jack Pardee enters hospice: terminal cancer

Postby welch » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Sad news about a fine person, great player, and great Redskin: Jack Pardee has entered a hospice, and expects to live no more than about six months. He has cancer of the gall bladder and liver.

Story is here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear ... ty-tricks/

And look at the picture: Coach George Allen leaning down to talk with Chris Hanburger as Jack Pardee stands between them, hands on hips. Three of the greatest.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Saw this yesterday... wondering how many here understand how important this man was to the dynasty that became the Redskins of the 80's... it was all built on the foundation created by Pardee...

It was Pardee who brought Riggins to the team. It was Pardee who brought in Richie Pettibon to be the Defensive Coordinator. Heck, as the Head Coach of the Houston Gamblers, he converted flashy running back Ricky Sanders into a wide receiver... even that ended up working out pretty darned well for US.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:30 pm

He may have brought Riggins in, but he used him as a blocking fullback.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Deadskins wrote:He may have brought Riggins in, but he used him as a blocking fullback.
You sure of your "facts"? Riggins played under Pardee for 3 seasons... in 1977, he lost much of the year to a knee injury, after being used mostly as a short yardage battering ram (not, a blocking back)... but he ran for over 1000 yards in '78 and '79 as the featured back under Pardee... pretty damned prolific for a "blocking back"... (a 1000 yard season was still HUGE in the '70's)

Riggins was ALWAYS the man...

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Allen signed Riggins but used him as the up-back in the I. The blocking back.

Pardee let Joe Walton open the offense, and Walton went to the two-back normal pro formation...and Riggins took off. I still remember that do-or-die Dallas game during the 10 - 6 season, when Riggins sprinted around the corner and out-ran the entire Dallas defense. Still had his speed.

A big thing about Jack Pardee is that Allen had him calling the defensive plays...Pardee was no longer the overpowering athlete, but he was still a great linebacker because of his brain.

The Redskin defense carried on as among the toughest and most complex in the league from Allen through Pardee to Petibon. That's more than 20 consecutive seasons.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:57 am

Countertrey wrote:
Deadskins wrote:He may have brought Riggins in, but he used him as a blocking fullback.
You sure of your "facts"? Riggins played under Pardee for 3 seasons... in 1977, he lost much of the year to a knee injury, after being used mostly as a short yardage battering ram (not, a blocking back)... but he ran for over 1000 yards in '78 and '79 as the featured back under Pardee... pretty damned prolific for a "blocking back"... (a 1000 yard season was still HUGE in the '70's)

Riggins was ALWAYS the man...

I got that from his episode of "A Football Life." Riggins said he was unhappy about being used as a blocking back when he first came to DC. But, it seems we both were wrong on the "facts."

welch wrote:Allen signed Riggins but used him as the up-back in the I. The blocking back.

I thought I remembered it being Allen that brought in Riggo, but I took your word for it. :oops:

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:53 am

You can't listen to Welch... he still steals milk money from elementary school kids. :twisted:

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Countertrey wrote:You can't listen to Welch... he still steals milk money from elementary school kids. :twisted:

But I remember Choo Choo Justice!

(And also remember that George signed Riggins and Calvin Hill at the same time...and neither did much running because the tailback carries the ball from the I. Larry Brown at first, and then Mike Thomas.)

Was considered odd: Hill, Brown, and Riggins had been all-pro at some time, but the 25th round pick, Mike Thomas, ran the ball. [Slight overstatement re Thomas's pick, but he was not well known]

#######

Postby The Hogster » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:56 pm

Cancer is the worst disease imaginable. I've lost 2 people close to me to this horrible disease in recent years.

At least he will be surrounded by family. That's really all you can expect.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:19 pm

The Hogster wrote:Cancer is the worst disease imaginable. I've lost 2 people close to me to this horrible disease in recent years.

At least he will be surrounded by family. That's really all you can expect.

As best I remember, Pardee had some sort of skin cancer while a player. Got treatment and beat that one. Howard Cosell would always mention it: "Jack Par-dee...has al-ready beaten the...Big...C"...

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Melanoma

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:59 pm

Jack Pardee was the one who started the Super Bowl runs. No, he wasn't an innovator, but he build a solid well coached team and set Gibbs up for success.

Much like Shannahan is doing now.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football