Playoffs...Playoffs??

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
#######

Playoffs...Playoffs??

Postby The Hogster » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:33 am

The Washington Redskins, and its players must focus solely on the game in front of them. This week, it's Dallas. But, we fans aren't held to that singular focus. We are able to glean hope from the possibilities that can take shape over the coming weeks.

So here, goes. The Washington Redskins are not only alive and well in the playoff race. But, they have a clear path to win an NFC East title. As fate would have it, as long as the Skins win their games against division rivals, they have a great chance to hoist some hardware at the end of the year.

The Skins are 4-6 right now. Third place. Behind the Cowboys 5-5 and the Giants 6-4. With a win over the Cowboys, the Redskins would be alone in 2nd place.

The NY Giants play a surging Green Bay Packers team this Sunday. If the Packers pull out an expected win, and the Skins beat Dallas. That would set up an enormous game the following week at HOME versus the NY Giants for the Division lead.

It has been a while since the Redskins have had a home game in December that means something. Check out the standings. The Skins also hold tiebreakers over the division if they continue to win. It all starts with this one game--which just so happens to be against the Cowgirls on National TV. Hail to the Redskins. Let's get this done.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:39 am

I've been saying the same thing for two weeks now. We can win these division games. There's no reason to think we can't win the division. We control our own destiny.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:08 pm

The Giants have a very tough schedule from here on out, so it's not hard to assume that they don't pull another late-season miracle out of their you-know-what.

The Eagles are toast.

That leaves Dallas, who has the easiest schedule remaining among NFC East teams. We'll have to sweep to even have a chance at topping them in the division. Thursday will tell us whether this team is up for the challenge.

I've been thinking all along that if we can just get to 8-8 and out of the NFC East's basement, this will have been a successful year. Now I'm thinking that a 2nd place finish in the NFC East isn't too much of a stretch.

It's still a little early for me to get on the 1st place bandwagon, but I have to admit I like the optimism.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:25 pm

I'll take the optimism route, because what else do we have to lose? If anything, its fun to think that if a few things fall into place, we could be sitting atop of the NFC east in the next two weeks.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Yeah I said this last week when all anybody could talk about was how we need to fire the entire coaching staff and get new players. In fact, I believe my comment was something like, "Just watch how perceptions change when we beat the Eagles in our next game..." LOL.

I still don't think its likely that we will make the playoffs. If I had to bet, I'd say we will win 3 of our last 7 games. Anything is possible though, I guess.

Irn-Bru's comments on the division look about right to me. I'm with you that I think 8-8 would be relatively successful for the team this year. I'll go a step further and say if we split with the Cowboys and Giants this season, and win the last game v. the Eagles, that would be a real success in my book.

Seriously, I'll just be happy if we're not mathematically eliminated by the second week of December. That would be a nice change!!

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:49 pm

From the start, RGIII has given all of us something to be excited about moving forward, and even though there are a few games on this schedule that we coulda' shoulda' woulda'... I love that the Skins are still fighting and in many ways control there own destiny heading into Dallas.

It's hard to remember looking at games in December as being meaningful. Thursday's going to set the pace for the rest of the season.
"Givin'em the Business!"

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:02 pm

In order for the playoffs to be a consideration, we need to win ALL of our remaining NFC East games this season.

Based on records and performances against similar opponents, the skins and cowboys have basically performed the same. Since the Thanksgiving game is AT Dallas, I would think they would be the favored team.

I actually believe that the Thanksgiving game will be the most difficult of our remaining NFC east games to win.

The big thing is that we can't get too presumptuous. We played a REALLY BAD Philly team last sunday. From a matchup perspective, they were exactly what we needed. Based on our defensive weaknesses, our D will play best against teams with weak OLs and QBs --- Philly had both. DAL has a decent QB and OL, so I don't expect the same outcome as against PHI. This game will be close.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:04 pm

markshark84 wrote:In order for the playoffs to be a consideration, we need to win ALL of our remaining NFC East games this season.

Based on records and performances against similar opponents, the skins and cowboys have basically performed the same. Since the Thanksgiving game is AT Dallas, I would think they would be the favored team.

I actually believe that the Thanksgiving game will be the most difficult of our remaining NFC east games to win.

The big thing is that we can't get too presumptuous. We played a REALLY BAD Philly team last sunday. From a matchup perspective, they were exactly what we needed. Based on our defensive weaknesses, our D will play best against teams with weak OLs and QBs --- Philly had both. DAL has a decent QB and OL, so I don't expect the same outcome as against PHI. This game will be close.

Well said. And we were pretty sloppy at times in beating that BAD Philly team on Sunday. We have to play better than that on Thursday.

I'm just going to warn/remind everyone. This is EXACTLY the kind of game where the Skins get your hopes up and then break your heart in spectacular fashion. hah.

Romo could have a field day against our secondary, but I don't agree about their OL.. That line has been a problem for them all year and has given up more sacks than ours. They're down two starting centers and they lost their starting LT on Sunday. I'd love to see Haz attack that line the way he did the Eagles!

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:31 pm

As much as I'd like to win out and shock the world, I would actually be pretty darn happy with a second place finish in the division this year if we can turn that into winning records year in and year out. Worst to first is overrated. I just want to be in the hunt every year forever (is that too much to ask?).

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Well lets at least put some gas into the Bandwagon to get ready. The next few weeks will tell us a lot.

First things first got to take care of TTiT.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Yup, I (and I hope the team as well) am not ready to think about playoffs.

Let's just beat the 'Pukes...
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:31 pm

I do just want to win the next 2 games ..

If we're not winning the NFC East I really hope the pukes beat out the giants ... thank you

we need to keep playing hard and win or lose continue to get this franchise ready for next season

Eli Manning is the QB that the media is going to choke on next year when the Redskins are owning the NFC East :lol:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:53 am

Let's just beat Dallas. Please.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:07 am

Thank you UK fan. Can we just beat Dallas. We have no business day dreaming of the playoffs until we at least get back to .500.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:08 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:Let's just beat Dallas. Please.

Done, and done.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football