Gano Cut - Cundiff Signed/Cut - Kai Forbath Signed

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 16164
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:35 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I liked Gano's leg but he made me a lot more unsure about making FGs than Billy Cundiff

I might have said the same thing before the Tampa game. :twisted:
Also, I never woried about distance with Gano, like I do with Cundiff. With Gano, it was right or left, with Cundiff, it's right or left and maybe short too. :shock:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1779
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I liked Gano's leg but he made me a lot more unsure about making FGs than Billy Cundiff

I might have said the same thing before the Tampa game. :twisted:
Also, I never woried about distance with Gano, like I do with Cundiff. With Gano, it was right or left, with Cundiff, it's right or left and maybe short too. :shock:


Agree. Cundiff is just not a very good kicker. If he had another 10 yards on his leg, he would be ok, but he doesn't. Those misses were pitiful -- especially the 30 yarder and the 50 which was 10 yards short.

I have said it once and will continue to do so: a kicker generally makes or breaks 2-3 games a season. A top kicker is extremely important. I would kill for a guy like Barth from TB.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13407
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:50 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:SJ
Even you can't believe the scat you're dropping here!

Before every kick on Sunday I said out lot that I thought that Cundiff was going to miss it. I DVRd the game and didn't even watch the 57 yarder before the half (actually at the time I thought it was 50 - 50 or 57 it doesn't matter to Cundiff he mises them all).

I count the 57 yarder and the 62 yarder against Shanny, not Cundiff (but he still kicked them so they do count). Those are automatic misses for Cundiff. But he missed two really easy kicks, that had he made them the game would have played out way different.

Cundiff has missed 4 big kicks already for the Skins! With a D as porous as our D, EVERY kick is a really big kick!

Gano made plenty of big kicks! Cundiff has four games under his belt for the Skins and is 6 for 10. That is a failing grade, especially in an NFL where the rest of the kickers are hitting 90% of their kicks. Gano's last four with the Skins he went 10 for 11 (91%). You have to go back seven games to get to 4 misses for Gano. In those seven he was 16 of 20 (80%). It took him TWICE a many kicks to miss as many as Cundiff.

Gano had four kicks over 50 yards last year, about what Cundiff has had his entire career!

Cundiff has one Pro-bowl, but he also had two full seasons and the larger part of another where he was unemployed!

I'm not saying Gano is a good kicker, he is just much better than Cundiff! And yes, I would feel much more confident in Gano kicking a game winner than Cundiff (and every kick in the NFL is a potential game winner - it doesn't matter of there is 50 seconds or 50 minutes left in a game - THEY ALL COUNT 3 POINTS!)


:shock: "even you" - thanks a lot - up yours too :lol:

i'm only pointing out the obvious - Gano had his shot and then they brought in Rackers to see if that would liven him up

I believe they could not have been very happy to have to bring in Cundiff

given all that you've pointed out

AND

as someone else posted - teams rarely change kickers unless the guy you have sucks - these guys brought in Cundiff

that's fine with me - Gano did not have anything but a great leg - he did not make me feel that he was a great kicker

Cundiff may not be any good either but he's showing me that he's better than super leg Gano

now, if this kid has lost his confidence and is not cutting it with Danny and Mike we would see a bunch of kickers here :roll:

waiting .....




maybe Cundiff is the best option right now ...... :wink:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:02 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:SJ
Even you can't believe the scat you're dropping here!

Before every kick on Sunday I said out lot that I thought that Cundiff was going to miss it. I DVRd the game and didn't even watch the 57 yarder before the half (actually at the time I thought it was 50 - 50 or 57 it doesn't matter to Cundiff he mises them all).

I count the 57 yarder and the 62 yarder against Shanny, not Cundiff (but he still kicked them so they do count). Those are automatic misses for Cundiff. But he missed two really easy kicks, that had he made them the game would have played out way different.

Cundiff has missed 4 big kicks already for the Skins! With a D as porous as our D, EVERY kick is a really big kick!

Gano made plenty of big kicks! Cundiff has four games under his belt for the Skins and is 6 for 10. That is a failing grade, especially in an NFL where the rest of the kickers are hitting 90% of their kicks. Gano's last four with the Skins he went 10 for 11 (91%). You have to go back seven games to get to 4 misses for Gano. In those seven he was 16 of 20 (80%). It took him TWICE a many kicks to miss as many as Cundiff.

Gano had four kicks over 50 yards last year, about what Cundiff has had his entire career!

Cundiff has one Pro-bowl, but he also had two full seasons and the larger part of another where he was unemployed!

I'm not saying Gano is a good kicker, he is just much better than Cundiff! And yes, I would feel much more confident in Gano kicking a game winner than Cundiff (and every kick in the NFL is a potential game winner - it doesn't matter of there is 50 seconds or 50 minutes left in a game - THEY ALL COUNT 3 POINTS!)


:shock: "even you" - thanks a lot - up yours too :lol:

i'm only pointing out the obvious - Gano had his shot and then they brought in Rackers to see if that would liven him up

I believe they could not have been very happy to have to bring in Cundiff

given all that you've pointed out

AND

as someone else posted - teams rarely change kickers unless the guy you have sucks - these guys brought in Cundiff

that's fine with me - Gano did not have anything but a great leg - he did not make me feel that he was a great kicker

Cundiff may not be any good either but he's showing me that he's better than super leg Gano

now, if this kid has lost his confidence and is not cutting it with Danny and Mike we would see a bunch of kickers here :roll:

waiting .....




maybe Cundiff is the best option right now ...... :wink:


Yep, you gotta love a kicker hitting 60% of his kicks :roll:

Even if you toss out the two kicks that MS should NEVER have allowed him to attempt (the 62 and 57 yarders - because I have as much of a chance of scoring with Jessica Alba as he did of making either of those kicks!) he would still be kicking at a 75% rate (or a normal year for him).

Of course if we're throwing out things out of a kicker's control, if you throw out the FIVE blocks that missed (out of the seven blocks Gano had - two of the seven were good) Gano was kicking last year at a 86% success rate. And he was stone cold reliable the last 5 games going 14 of 15 with his one miss getting blocked!

Now MS and DS told him none of his blocks were his fault, but if MS actually believed that Gano would still be here.

Cundiff kicks with more of a loft than Gano, which makes his kicks less likely to be blocked but it also means he just simply can't hit anything at distance and his kicks will be more influenced by wind.

I still say, even with the different launch angle Cundiff WILL have some kicks blocked this year, because i don't think out FG blocking team is fixed if the P blocking team is any indication.

I guess it all come down to preference. I prefer the better kicker, you prefer the current kicker. Going into the Saints game I was nervous every time Cundiff kicked, I am no longer nervous! I assume he is going to miss. If he actually makes it, that is a bonus! If the kick is over 45 I don’t even watch, I know it is going to be bad. I just fast to the other teams offensive snap.
That is kind of liberating. The Skins line up for a kick, I’m now considering it a seven yard loss and turn over on downs. If the kick some how goes through that is a bonus.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

DarthMonk
Posts: 4454
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:59 pm

So glad we got a guy who's money in the bank on FGs inside 50.

-drinking
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

tribe
Posts: 6176
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:16 pm

I suspect that Cundiff is a GONER this week........
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

~~~~~~
Posts: 10208
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:59 am
Location: Canada

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:38 am

tribeofjudah wrote:I suspect that Cundiff is a GONER this week........

Unfortunately, I would be surprised if he is not.

His personal confidence is very low.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

ch1
Posts: 3632
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:01 pm
Location: virginia beach

Postby crazyhorse1 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:22 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:I suspect that Cundiff is a GONER this week........

Unfortunately, I would be surprised if he is not.

His personal confidence is very low.


No doubt he's gone. None.

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:34 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:I suspect that Cundiff is a GONER this week........

Unfortunately, I would be surprised if he is not.

His personal confidence is very low.


A big part of why Gano was cut...
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 16164
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:56 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:I suspect that Cundiff is a GONER this week........

Unfortunately, I would be surprised if he is not.

Why "unfortunately?" Would you rather he was not cut?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:06 am

Deadskins wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:I suspect that Cundiff is a GONER this week........

Unfortunately, I would be surprised if he is not.

Why "unfortunately?" Would you rather he was not cut?


I would not be surprised that Shanahan comes out and says, Cundif showed guts to go out there and maked the 20 yarder. (sarcasm).

On a serious note, Shanny is in love with Cundif's kick offs. Almost the entire day, the Falcons started deep in their territory. I do get RiC's concern, but Shanny has got to make some kind of move.

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13407
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:00 am

Cundiff should be cut ... but

unless there is a kicker available that makes Mike feel better, Billy Cundiff is still the kicker
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

~~~~~~
Posts: 10208
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:59 am
Location: Canada

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:I suspect that Cundiff is a GONER this week........

Unfortunately, I would be surprised if he is not.

Why "unfortunately?" Would you rather he was not cut?

Unfortunately because:

I had hoped that this kicker would finally work out at a position that has remained in trouble since the times of Mark Moseley and Chip Lohmiller.

That's why it IS unfortunate!
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 16164
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:I suspect that Cundiff is a GONER this week........

Unfortunately, I would be surprised if he is not.

Why "unfortunately?" Would you rather he was not cut?

Unfortunately because:

I had hoped that this kicker would finally work out at a position that has remained in trouble since the times of Mark Moseley and Chip Lohmiller.

That's why it IS unfortunate!

That makes sense. I read your post as it would be unfortunate if Cundiff were to be cut.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4454
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:04 am

We weren't good enough for a better kicker to matter and on top of things Cundiff is not better.

Gano has more upside.

Red may have been posting in jest but I do not discount the pride factor in Shanny not bringing back Gano.

As Deadman said, Gano was a little wide a few times but Cundiff is short beyond 45 and is waaaaaaaaay wide to boot ... so to speak. Gano never looked this bad.

Cue the Hogster??

Changing to someone not named Rackers was silly and no switch was really necessary anyway.

Having said all that I hope that, if Cundiff stays, he kicks like a pro-bowler.

Oh, and if anyone wants to argue how good Danny Smith is, have at it. Just stay away from "coaches around the league say ..."

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football