The NFL Sends Confusing Messages in Salary Cap Penalties

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:49 pm

Technically, that wouldn’t be inconsistent with Burbank’s decision, because he plainly stated at the end of his 12-page ruling that the teams “retain whatever remedies they may have against [the NFL] under contract and agency law.”
So until the Redskins or Cowboys say it’s completely over, it’s not completely over. And until it’s completely over, there’s a chance one or both teams will sue the NFL under theories like breach of contract and/or breach of fiduciary duty.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-be-over/
As far as I know the Redskins have never officially stated it's over. And I remember Shanahan refused to comment on it, because he said he couldn't until it was over. I think they are waiting until the NFLPA's suit is over before making their next move. I just know that if this had ever happened to the Raiders while Al Davis was alive, he would have sued the NFL the day the cap decision came down.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:59 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
1niksder wrote:This is the NFLPA's mess and their's alone, they KNOW they signed away the right to sue on grounds of collusion but have to do something to save face with the players that they represent

That is the only way it makes sense. Either that or the lawyers just wanted more fees suing for a case that was already settled anyway.

That too :D
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby ACW » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:24 pm

;furious; Mara.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:08 am

g'day JSPB - time to pull your chain a little bit .... again

pointing to the what the Raiders and Al Davis might do is really grasping at straws - although .. this is what you're good at :twisted:

As Kaz and 1niksder are pointing out - the Redskins and pukes are moving on and there is really ZERO possibility of what you're suggesting happening

time to move on - get over it :lol:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:58 am

SkinsJock wrote:g'day JSPB - time to pull your chain a little bit .... again

pointing to the what the Raiders and Al Davis might do is really grasping at straws - although .. this is what you're good at :twisted:

As Kaz and 1niksder are pointing out - the Redskins and pukes are moving on and there is really ZERO possibility of what you're suggesting happening

True. Both teams have recourse, but choose not to use it. The reality is, the arbitrator's decision, while not satisfactory, will be the last word. Both teams probably have a good case, were they to take this to court. A trial would be long, public, and ugly... and a victory would provide minimal gains, compared to what would be lost, should the NFL lose it's antitrust exemption... which would also, ultimately, probably bankrupt the league in the long run.

For the Danny and Jerruh, it's really a simple choice... getting screwed by Mara was distasteful... but the risk, no matter how small, of losing the antitrust exemption is, simply, intolerable.

The only realistic chance the teams had was a positive arbitration... that did not happen. It's done.

I think Al Davis would have made the same choice as the Danny and Jerruh, today... The risks are not the same as they were when he had his famous fight with the league.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:17 am

1niksder wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
1niksder wrote:This is the NFLPA's mess and their's alone, they KNOW they signed away the right to sue on grounds of collusion but have to do something to save face with the players that they represent

That is the only way it makes sense. Either that or the lawyers just wanted more fees suing for a case that was already settled anyway.

That too :D

So that gets me at least to a .96 or so, doesn't it???
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:17 am

Countertrey wrote:Both teams have recourse, but choose not to use it. The reality is, the arbitrator's decision, while not satisfactory, will be the last word. Both teams probably have a good case, were they to take this to court. A trial would be long, public, and ugly... and a victory would provide minimal gains, compared to what would be lost, should the NFL lose it's antitrust exemption... which would also, ultimately, probably bankrupt the league in the long run.

Which is why I think the league would cave rather than let it get that far. As for this being truly over, we will have to wait and see. We may still see some action come the off-season. I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to do anything while the season is ongoing. That would be pointless.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby ACW » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:26 am

Okay, pardon my ignorance, but how would losing the exemption hurt the league?
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 pm

Was just surfing and bumped into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TAkRHQLSxE

I bet somebody on this board could do exellent versions of these. I was hoping to find one about the whuppin' we just gave Dallas.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby jmooney » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:35 pm

Brilliant! tasteless but, brilliant. I kinda feel dirty after that

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:29 pm

I don't know weather to laugh or be repulsed at the thought of Danny Snyder, a Jewis man, being as Hitler.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Here's a pretty clear message:

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was paid $29.49 million in 2011, according to figures from the league’s tax return reported Friday by the Sports Business Daily.

Included in that figure was a $22.3 million bonus, according to the report. Goodell is believed to have become the highest paid commissioner in U.S. professional sports.

The league and the NFL Players Association agreed to a 10-year labor deal in 2011. Goodell also has helped the NFL negotiate a lucrative new set of television contracts.

According to the report, Goodell’s pay in 2011 nearly tripled from his 2010 income of $11.6 million.

League counsel Jeff Pash had a 2011 income of $8.8 million, including a $5.9 million bonus, according to the report.

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

swine

Postby RG3peat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:36 am

jmooney wrote:Brilliant! tasteless but, brilliant. I kinda feel dirty after that

NOT ME! That was frickin hillarious

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:25 pm

ACW wrote:Okay, pardon my ignorance, but how would losing the exemption hurt the league?

Without the antitrust exemption, the labor agreement, as it exists... can not exist. There would be NO salary cap, as that requires a conspiracy to set fees, wages, and/or prices. The NFL Draft disappears... players go to the highest bidder, period. The league would have less control over where teams may locate. Attempts to maintain some level of league parity disappear. The league's power over TV contracts is severely degraded.

Teams will disappear. The NFL becomes a 12 team league... if that...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:02 am

Countertrey wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:g'day JSPB - time to pull your chain a little bit .... again

True. Both teams have recourse, but choose not to use it. The reality is, the arbitrator's decision, while not satisfactory, will be the last word. Both teams probably have a good case, were they to take this to court. A trial would be long, public, and ugly... and a victory would provide minimal gains, compared to what would be lost, should the NFL lose it's antitrust exemption... which would also, ultimately, probably bankrupt the league in the long run.

For the Danny and Jerruh, it's really a simple choice... getting screwed by Mara was distasteful... but the risk, no matter how small, of losing the antitrust exemption is, simply, intolerable.

The only realistic chance the teams had was a positive arbitration... that did not happen. It's done.

I think Al Davis would have made the same choice as the Danny and Jerruh, today... The risks are not the same as they were when he had his famous fight with the league.

My biggest issur is what's next? I'm in conspiracy theory mode this morning so excuse the broad context.

If they get away with a blantant conflict of interest and punish for an unwritten rule violation, they can do anything to us. I've always felt the league and its top dogs & announcers HATE this team. I don't think they'll be happy until the team is disbanded.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football