Pistol Formation

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Pistol Formation

Postby oneman56 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:43 am

Is it me or does the running game seem to really suffer when they are in the pistol formation? Our stretch runs have worked better, imo, the last two weeks particularly behind Trent and Kory (who's played suprisingly well given his injury). I think they need to mix in some more traditional sets to add to this pistol formation, the only good coming out of it are play action passes and QB keeps but defenses seem to be stopping the run pretty easy when we're in it. Also, it doesn't seem like Fred Davis is currently all that involved in the game plan which I don't get. He's a mis-match for most LB's and safeties.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:11 pm

I am also concerned about Fred Davis being involved in the game plan. While I am not too worried about the offense overall. I still would like to see Davis involved more.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:16 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:I am also concerned about Fred Davis being involved in the game plan. While I am not too worried about the offense overall. I still would like to see Davis involved more.
It appears to me that Davis hasn't taken advantage of the opportunities that he's had... Why should he get more, with the large numbers of drops... and oops... accidentally taking the direct snap from center, because he pretty clearly forgot what he was supposed to be doing on that play...

... and why is Niles Paul on this team?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Re: Pistol Formation

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:20 pm

oneman56 wrote:Is it me or does the running game seem to really suffer when they are in the pistol formation? Our stretch runs have worked better, imo, the last two weeks particularly behind Trent and Kory (who's played suprisingly well given his injury). I think they need to mix in some more traditional sets to add to this pistol formation, the only good coming out of it are play action passes and QB keeps but defenses seem to be stopping the run pretty easy when we're in it. Also, it doesn't seem like Fred Davis is currently all that involved in the game plan which I don't get. He's a mis-match for most LB's and safeties.

When the Skins, had their 80 yard drive, RGIII was under center for most of it. I think that that is our future. Keep the pistol, but mix it up with more traditional O than pistol.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:31 pm

The pistol formation works fine. We just lost! LOL So everything looks worse. Had we not played matador on Special Teams and won the game by 20 like we should have, all would be well in Skins land.

If anything, Jim Haslett needs to tweak what he's doing. As does Danny Smith. The offense is doing their job--as odd as that sounds--SMH.

We can't seem to put it all together. If we could pair the Redskins 2005-2009 Defense and ST with today's offense, we'd be winning every week. Our defense has given up 30 points way too often over the last 2 seasons.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:47 pm

The Hogster wrote:If anything, Jim Haslett needs to tweak what he's doing. As does Danny Smith. The offense is doing their job--as odd as that sounds--SMH.

Agreed. It's been so long since we've been able to say that, that it sounds strange, but I think it's correct.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:40 pm

The Hogster wrote:The pistol formation works fine. We just lost! LOL So everything looks worse. Had we not played matador on Special Teams and won the game by 20 like we should have, all would be well in Skins land.

If anything, Jim Haslett needs to tweak what he's doing. As does Danny Smith. The offense is doing their job--as odd as that sounds--SMH.

We can't seem to put it all together. If we could pair the Redskins 2005-2009 Defense and ST with today's offense, we'd be winning every week. Our defense has given up 30 points way too often over the last 2 seasons.

I'm not picking on the overall offense at all and I agree the pistol has worked to some degree in PA and QB keeps but the run game suffers while in it from what I'm seeing. I was simply wondering if anyone else noticed the same and not intending to knock an offense that's averaging 34 points a game so far. If they can figure out how to run out of that formation things should get scary for defenses

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:40 pm

The Hogster wrote:The pistol formation works fine. We just lost! LOL So everything looks worse. Had we not played matador on Special Teams and won the game by 20 like we should have, all would be well in Skins land.

I'm not picking on the overall offense at all and I agree the pistol has worked to some degree in PA and QB keeps but the run game suffers while in it from what I'm seeing. I was simply wondering if anyone else noticed the same and not intending to knock an offense that's averaging 34 points a game so far. If they can figure out how to run out of that formation things should get scary for defenses.

Hog

Postby the poster » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:49 pm

oneman56 wrote:Is it me or does the running game seem to really suffer when they are in the pistol formation?

of course it does, its a sawed-off shotgun formation, the QB receives the ball on a pitch; everything is different in terms of the running game. its a finesse style of football.

the redskins are running a gimmick college offense as they have centered EVERYTHING around the guy they used 3 first round picks and a high second pick to get.

the only problem is, as I've said since day one, he ain't going to last. he was getting BLASTED in that game. by year two, he'll be missing games.

by year three, they'll be scrapping most of this gimmick stuff.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:03 pm

the poster wrote:
oneman56 wrote:Is it me or does the running game seem to really suffer when they are in the pistol formation?

of course it does, its a sawed-off shotgun formation, the QB receives the ball on a pitch; everything is different in terms of the running game. its a finesse style of football.

the redskins are running a gimmick college offense as they have centered EVERYTHING around the guy they used 3 first round picks and a high second pick to get.

the only problem is, as I've said since day one, he ain't going to last. he was getting BLASTED in that game. by year two, he'll be missing games.

how about a machine gun............Image
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Shck-chik BOM.. :cricketschurping:
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:12 pm

Countertrey wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:I am also concerned about Fred Davis being involved in the game plan. While I am not too worried about the offense overall. I still would like to see Davis involved more.
It appears to me that Davis hasn't taken advantage of the opportunities that he's had... Why should he get more, with the large numbers of drops... and oops... accidentally taking the direct snap from center, because he pretty clearly forgot what he was supposed to be doing on that play...

... and why is Niles Paul on this team?

Well what I really want is for Davis to get it going. He was supposed to have a breakout year. If it is him fouling up his oppurtunities then I would say lets bring in Paulson. I like Paulson.

I cant say much about Niles Paul. I have seen him in a few plays. However those few plays he didnt do much. Paulson I seen on one play. The one catch I seen Paulson make I was highly encouraged from what I saw. Paulson is more of the Big, physical target. The classic tight end. Which I like a whole lot.

When it comes to Davis we all know he has loads of talent. Just does not feel right when you have a talent like Davis and he is not living up to the potential. Especially when we have seen him do well a few games in the past.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:29 pm

Countertrey wrote:

Loss of short term memory? Uh oh. :evil:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:24 am

the poster wrote:

you can call it gimmicky or whatever you want, i really don't care but the offense is supposed to have read options to it and it's not working in the run game outside of QB keeps and that is the point of me bringing this up...not whether or not it's gimmicky, college style, etc and if the run game continues to suffer it's going to be easier to defend. As far as QB's missing games, almost all of them due so what exactly is your point..actually what is your point on anything you comment about (in all seriousness) ? Brees, Manning, Vick, Brady, etc....the list goes on and on for both style of qb's. RGIII may or may not miss games but that's really out of anyones control, he has to be him and if he gets hurt so be it, injuries are part of the game. Also, they may scrap this formation in year 3, they may scrap a lot of formations as RGIII grows or as the game evolves like it does all the time so stating such is, well.....pointless.

Poster,

I have a few questions for you and i'm not one to ignore your posts or call you a troll because I really have no issues with someone pointing out issues of my team or my interests... so here goes. Why are you even on this board? I'd honestly like to know and while you're here i'd like to know who your favorite team may be or are you not willing to say so? It seems a little juvenile to come to a teams message board and spend time spewing off about said team and there issues while refraining from revealing anything about yourself. I keep reading your posts and honestly wonder why you're here? Anyways, perhaps you'll answer or maybe you won't and to be honest, i'm not sure i care but figured i'd put it out there.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:32 am

This "food" has been offered to the troll on many occasions. Studies of the troll scat have revealed that it just doesn't matter why it craps in the woods. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football