2012 Nationals

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:30 am

Deadskins wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:I knew I (brotherly) loved you jerks for a reason. :lol:

Are you from Philly?


:lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Skins History Buff
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: New York, NY

Postby welch » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:01 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
welch wrote:From the time I met CT back in elementary school

You've known Countertrey since elementary school?


we rode the same South Dakota Ave bus to Bunker Hill Elementary School. We both had Mrs. Cole, who taught us to read. CT lived on one side of South Dakota; I lived on the other. Probably stood at the same bus-stop. In fact, my sister had her tonsils out at the same hospital where CT was born, I think.


He took my milk money... regularly. I have a calcium deficiency to this day. And, he sat on me until I said "SCARBATH!!" Bastage.

(you have to admit... Scarbath is one bad ass name) :twisted:


:-s :hail:

Ya'll are so homegrown, I knew I (brotherly) loved you jerks for a reason. :lol:


Remember, also: I've known about the Tick Tock since I was about seven or eight, and used to go to the Langley Movie Theater, in the Langley Park shopping center.

Skins History Buff
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: New York, NY

Postby welch » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:57 pm

Jake wrote:That certainly was one of the best games of the season. Reading that makes me wish I was around in 1924 to experience it.


Jake, I just realized that if you had been around to see Game 7 in 1924, you would be about 100 years old!

Shirley Povich wrote a great history of the Senators (aka "Nationals") in 1954. It was reprinted a year or two ago...easy to find on Alibris, and a great read. Has all the stories...and from 1923 or '24 onward, Shirley was the guy who covered them (even though he was written up in "Who's Who in American Women" some time in the '50s. "Oops", as the governor said.)

Example...about 1910, the new grandstand at American League Park burned down (later known as Griffith Stadium). The DC fire marshal reported that a plumber's torch had started the fire. Ex-manager Joe Cantillon said, "Yeah, and the plumber was probably playing third base".

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:13 am

welch wrote:Remember, also: I've known about the Tick Tock since I was about seven or eight, and used to go to the Langley Movie Theater, in the Langley Park shopping center.


Ahhh yes Welch, the entrance was pushed in so you walked underneath that covering, gave it a real movie theater feel to it. Had the posters on the walls as you walked in.

lol. remember dart drug, peoples and waxie maxie tape stores?
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Skins History Buff
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: New York, NY

Postby welch » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:09 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:
welch wrote:Remember, also: I've known about the Tick Tock since I was about seven or eight, and used to go to the Langley Movie Theater, in the Langley Park shopping center.


Ahhh yes Welch, the entrance was pushed in so you walked underneath that covering, gave it a real movie theater feel to it. Had the posters on the walls as you walked in.

lol. remember dart drug, peoples and waxie maxie tape stores?


Of course! I used to stop off at People's Drugstore in PG Plaza...bought my school supplies there. I think I started my jazz collection when Waxie-Maxie's sold off their mono LP's for about $1.99 each. Got a Sonny Rollins ("Saxophone Colossus"...an all-time great) plus Clifford brown / Max Roach with Sonny, some early Coltrane, some Eric Dolphy, who I was "supposed" to like, but, honestly, Dolphy's music was a little too far-out atonal for me.

the 'mudge
Posts: 14784
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:30 pm

OMG! "Waxie Maxie's "... ummm... they weren't "tape" stores when we were there, though... :P
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Junior Hog
User avatar
Posts: 11246
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:18 am
Location: Mayo, Maryland

Postby Jake » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:00 am

welch wrote:
Jake wrote:That certainly was one of the best games of the season. Reading that makes me wish I was around in 1924 to experience it.


Jake, I just realized that if you had been around to see Game 7 in 1924, you would be about 100 years old!

Shirley Povich wrote a great history of the Senators (aka "Nationals") in 1954. It was reprinted a year or two ago...easy to find on Alibris, and a great read. Has all the stories...and from 1923 or '24 onward, Shirley was the guy who covered them (even though he was written up in "Who's Who in American Women" some time in the '50s. "Oops", as the governor said.)

Example...about 1910, the new grandstand at American League Park burned down (later known as Griffith Stadium). The DC fire marshal reported that a plumber's torch had started the fire. Ex-manager Joe Cantillon said, "Yeah, and the plumber was probably playing third base".


hahaha If I had been around, I probably wouldn't know how to use a computer. I like that story... that's pretty funny.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Skins History Buff
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: New York, NY

Postby welch » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:07 am

Ozzie Guillen needs a "Don't Be a Clown, Bro" tee-shirt

DarthMonk
Posts: 4575
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:25 pm

Wild pitch!

Yes!
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16252
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:17 pm

How 'bout them Braves? :twisted:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Junior Hog
User avatar
Posts: 11246
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:18 am
Location: Mayo, Maryland

Postby Jake » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Deadskins wrote:How 'bout them Braves? :twisted:


Yeah, that series did them a lot of good. haha
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16252
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Jake wrote:
Deadskins wrote:How 'bout them Braves? :twisted:


Yeah, that series did them a lot of good. haha

But to come back from 0-9 against a team that has given you fits all season, then take the lead only to give it up again then finally win in extra innings? Incredible game.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Skins History Buff
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: New York, NY

Postby welch » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Jake wrote:
Deadskins wrote:How 'bout them Braves? :twisted:


Yeah, that series did them a lot of good. haha

But to come back from 0-9 against a team that has given you fits all season, then take the lead only to give it up again then finally win in extra innings? Incredible game.


Daughter and I drove down that Saturday for the evening game and the Sunday afternoon game. Very grim walking into Nats Park as the Braves scored two in the first. Then Lannan seemed to settle down in the third and strangled them.

Two good wins, clearly out-classed the Braves. Some bad fielding from Atlanta, and weak pitching in those last two games.

Nats then swept the Mets, and have taken two of three from Milwaukee. Hard to believe it, but the 2012 Nats are very good.

Junior Hog
User avatar
Posts: 11246
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:18 am
Location: Mayo, Maryland

Postby Jake » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:13 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Jake wrote:
Deadskins wrote:How 'bout them Braves? :twisted:


Yeah, that series did them a lot of good. haha

But to come back from 0-9 against a team that has given you fits all season, then take the lead only to give it up again then finally win in extra innings? Incredible game.


Yeah, it was a unique game but 1/162. Not much of dent. If anything, it motivated the Nats off more than had they not come back and won it in that manner.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Skins History Buff
Posts: 4933
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: New York, NY

Postby welch » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:32 am

Nats about 4 games ahead, 71 wins. Now this is more right with the world: Nats play on into September, and we slowly turn attention to the Redskins with the last ore-season game. A bit strage that Net Nats are leading the NL East, rather than bouncing along about 25 games behind...

Return to Washington Sports Teams