Redskin All-Time Team Poll - QB

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Who plays QB for us on our All-Time Team?

Sammy Baugh
46%
Sonny Jurgensen
35%
Joe Theismann
19%

Total votes : 37
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:21 am

This is a tough choice between 2 greats

I enjoyed Joe T but he's not even close to being the QB that Sammy and Sonny were

I voted for Sonny but only because I saw him play
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:36 am

I voted for Theisman because I can't vote based on youtube clips of our 2 other great QBs. I seen Joe play while I was a kid so he's what I know.

Some of you guys are lucky to have seen all 3.

You bastids! :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:51 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:Some of you guys are lucky to have seen all 3

I do not feel that there many posters who actually watched all three QBs play.

Sammy was -simply- the BEST football player to have ever played this game. His is the stuff of LEGEND.

A couple of the legends goes as follows:

1) He was the BEST punter ever in the leagues to this day.

2) He played ferocious defence and was not only a great tackler but also caught many interceptions.

3) Have you EVER heard of any other QB who CAUGHT an INT and then at the next play threw a passing TD???

4) As others have pointed out, he invented the passing offense and he played around 1940's, literally in the PRE=history of the NFL!!!!

He was an ATHLETE and perhaps the greatest player in the history of the game.

I voted for him because, as opposed to Sonny, Sammy could run too. And, this may be controversial, Sammy did it without having as good WRs as Sonny did.

Your vote is understandable. But, trust us, there is NO comparison.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:26 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:I voted for Theisman because I can't vote based on youtube clips of our 2 other great QBs. I seen Joe play while I was a kid so he's what I know.

+1

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:12 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:But, trust us, there is NO comparison.

I would never doubt fans from the next generation above me who can help me out, never bro! :hail:

Appreciate the 411 too, thanks!!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:11 am

yupchagee wrote:Has to be Baugh. He revolutionized football. Without Baugh, there would never have been Jurgy or Theisman (or Brady, Manning, etc.)

Ding! Ding! Ding!
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:29 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:
cowboykillerzRED wrote:I probably need a history lesson, ...

Yes, you do. Jurgensen was a better passer than Theisman ever was. Let me help:

NFL Films Presents : Sonny Jurgensen

NFL Top Ten Gunslingers #3 Sonny Jurgensen

Jurgensen versus Eagles

Jurgensen on Lombardi

But your vote is understandable in view of recent history.

I've seen some but not.all of those, appreciate the lesson!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:31 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:I voted for Theisman because I can't vote based on youtube clips of our 2 other great QBs. I seen Joe play while I was a kid so he's what I know.

But then there is this...

It's cool to see but better have been there during their time.. I know Theismann, but still am trying to learn who was before him. Big difference.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:34 pm

As I post it is Sammy-Sonny-Joe @ 10-8-5.

This is close enough to leave open for a few more days.

ATX_Skins wrote: -snip- and Sonny was so pissed at me one time he rode over on his segway and scolded me at Redskins Park.

Joe T. was a butt-head to me once in a basketball game at my high school but he was a superb athlete. I saw him live and on TV many times.

Jurgy was one of the all-time great passers but not the athlete either Joe or Sammy was. I saw Jurgy twice live and a few dozen times on TV. Too bad George Allen wouldn't give him the keys. I voted for Jurgy.

There is nothing bad to say about Baugh - only good.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:09 am

OK, I have to admit I'm struggling here.

The best Redskin QB I've seen in my lifetime was Joe, but I'm very aware that in the list of all-time QBs we'll always have two right up there on that list, and Joe isn't one of them.

That means history judges Sammy and Sonny as being in that top class, and so I believe in a team of the greatest ever Redskins the nod should go to one of them.

So I've decided to go with the 'experts' on this, impartial where possible.

Here's what I've found in other polls on the web of the best ever QBs;

Squidoo.com had Baugh at #4 and Sonny at #16.

Bleacher (Marcel) had neither in his all time Top 10.

Bleacher (Whigster) had neither in his all time Top 10 (but Kurt Warner at #7!!!)

Bleacher (Nagler) had Baugh at #5 in his Top 10 of all time.

Fox Sports (Whitlock) had neither in his top 10 of all time.

CBS (Clark Judge) has Baugh at #6 in his Top 10 but no Sonny.

LockerSmash has Baugh at #5 in their all time Top 11.

Ranker.com has Baugh at #7 and Sonny at #22.

Mens Fitness (?!?) has neither in their Top 10.

And so it continues....

So I'm going to vote according to how the so-called experts and go with Sammy Baugh on the basis that he seems to be the one Redskin QB that has made the greatest impression on the impartial NFL lovers out there.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:01 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:OK, I have to admit I'm struggling here.

The best Redskin QB I've seen in my lifetime was Joe, but I'm very aware that in the list of all-time QBs we'll always have two right up there on that list, and Joe isn't one of them.

That means history judges Sammy and Sonny as being in that top class, and so I believe in a team of the greatest ever Redskins the nod should go to one of them.

So I've decided to go with the 'experts' on this, impartial where possible.

Here's what I've found in other polls on the web of the best ever QBs;

Squidoo.com had Baugh at #4 and Sonny at #16.

Bleacher (Marcel) had neither in his all time Top 10.

Bleacher (Whigster) had neither in his all time Top 10 (but Kurt Warner at #7!!!)

Bleacher (Nagler) had Baugh at #5 in his Top 10 of all time.

Fox Sports (Whitlock) had neither in his top 10 of all time.

CBS (Clark Judge) has Baugh at #6 in his Top 10 but no Sonny.

LockerSmash has Baugh at #5 in their all time Top 11.

Ranker.com has Baugh at #7 and Sonny at #22.

Mens Fitness (?!?) has neither in their Top 10.

And so it continues....

So I'm going to vote according to how the so-called experts and go with Sammy Baugh on the basis that he seems to be the one Redskin QB that has made the greatest impression on the impartial NFL lovers out there.

Pretty accurate... though I would throw out anything from Bleacher (Warner? 7? seriously?). Hell, they've even run with stuff I've blogged... so they run work from anybody...

I will never attempt to subordinate Baugh to Sonny, in terms of his importance to the Redskins, and the NFL. The reality is, he's a cornerstone member of the HOF for a reason... would probably have gotten in as a safety OR as a punter (if Ray Guy is in, Baugh would have to be in... )
To underline his incredible talent as a PLAYER, note that his name is STILL all over the record books as a punter...
Career Average
47.29 Shane Lechler, Oakland, 2000-2010 (855-40,429)
45.54 Donnie Jones, Seattle, 2004; Miami, 2005-06; St. Louis, 2007-2010 (543-24,727)
45.47 Mat McBriar, Dallas, 2004-2010 (436-19,827)
45.10 Sammy Baugh, Washington, 1937-1952 (338-15,245)
Season Average
51.40 Sammy Baugh, Washington, 1940 (35-1,799)
51.14 Shane Lechler, Oakland, 2009 (96-4,909)
50.00 Donnie Jones, St. Louis, 2008 (82-4,100)
48.94 Yale Lary, Detroit, 1963 (35-1,713)
48.73 Sammy Baugh, Washington, 1941 (30-1,462)
Most consecutive seasons leading the league
4 Sammy Baugh, Washington, 1940-43 3 Jim Fraser, Denver, 1962-64
2 By many players

As a QUARTERBACK, his SKILLS were not equal to C. A. Jurgensen's... you can say that Sonny had the benefit of a trio of exceptional receivers... perhaps... but, of those 3 receivers, what was the common denominator? Yup... the quarterback. You simply never saw those receivers needing to make plays to bail out the quarterback... the ball was always on time... and well placed. The question, in my mind, is NOT how much did Mitchell, Taylor and Smith elevate Sonny's game... but the other way around.

What may elevate Baugh over Sonny in this postion is his involvement as an innovator, as the man who recognized that the forward pass was a weapon that could change the game... He certainly did that! But, in terms of his talent, Sonny was better. The issue is not so much who is right in this debate... but which flavor do you prefer. Sammy had something that Sonny never did... Championships.

But, if I'm creating God's Redskins... Who do I want behind center, taking advantage of all the receiving talent that's available, and able to use the most of the field? Sonny. Vision. Quick release. Accuracy, touch, big arm to use the entire field... be it deep post, screen, or quick crossing. Sonny.

I said it in 1971... and will say it now. "I follow the Redskins, and I like Sonny" (who here gets that referrence?)

My vote is already registered as for Sonny... but I would have no hearburn if it's Sammy... None, at all. Whether I believe he was the best quarterback does not matter... because, regardless, he was the greatest Redskin player, ever.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:26 am

^ That was very well said, CT. +1

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:06 am

Someone else said this already, but I vote Sonny and then we can put Sammy in as either punter or or safety and still have the benefit of him on the all time "team"

By the way, was the question ever answered whether this was a 1 player per position, all time 24 (22 + kicker and punter) or an all time 53?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:28 pm

emoses14 wrote:Someone else said this already, but I vote Sonny and then we can put Sammy in as either punter or or safety and still have the benefit of him on the all time "team"

By the way, was the question ever answered whether this was a 1 player per position, all time 24 (22 + kicker and punter) or an all time 53?

That sounds like a cop out to me. Select the best guy and Slingin Sammy was the best QB. Sonny "MIGHT" have been the better pure passer, but no one can tell me he was the better QB. Would Sammy have ever sat the bench to a dead duck throwing, ex-running back masquerading as a QB? No frakin way! He would have kicked George Allen’s “donkey” until George saw the light. The fact that a HoF coach chose a much less talented QB over a more talented guy (nearing the end of his career) should tell you something.

Look I love Sonny, but he is a distant second in my heart to the Redskins best QB of all time and one of the best players in NFL history!

Think about this. If Sonny, or Montana, Marino, Peyton, or Brady had to play another position in addition to QB (let alone two more) would they still be among the best ever? Sammy could have played in this era; that I’m certain of! I can’t say the same for the other QBS I just mentioned playing in his era.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:25 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
emoses14 wrote:Someone else said this already, but I vote Sonny and then we can put Sammy in as either punter or or safety and still have the benefit of him on the all time "team"

That sounds like a cop out to me. Select the best guy and Slingin Sammy was the best QB. Sonny "MIGHT" have been the better pure passer, but no one can tell me he was the better QB. Would Sammy have ever sat the bench to a dead duck throwing, ex-running back masquerading as a QB? No frakin way! He would have kicked George Allen’s “donkey” until George saw the light. The fact that a HoF coach chose a much less talented QB over a more talented guy (nearing the end of his career) should tell you something.

Look I love Sonny, but he is a distant second in my heart to the Redskins best QB of all time and one of the best players in NFL history!

Think about this. If Sonny, or Montana, Marino, Peyton, or Brady had to play another position in addition to QB (let alone two more) would they still be among the best ever? Sammy could have played in this era; that I’m certain of! I can’t say the same for the other QBS I just mentioned playing in his era.

It only sounds like a cop out to you because you believe Sammy is the better quarterback.

I'm picking Sonny, period.

However, for purposes of having my cake and eating it too, I'm pre-pumping Sammy for punter, so in this fantasy world we're talking about, if had to roll the team out on the field, I'd actually have both.

You don't have to convince me that Sammy was awesome at QB and other positions. I get it, I agree. But for QB, I'll take Sonny and sleep plenty soundly this evening. As for the HoF coach benching Sonny to prove your point, yeah, that ain't working. All coaches, Allen included (and probably especially), are egotistical maniacs that believe what they think is best, period. Actually most PEOPLE are like that, too. Steve Spurrier thinks yanking qbs around is a good idea, too. Sammy isn't getting the benefit of having played for a slightly less egotistical coach than Sonny.

This is a question about best QB, not best QB/Punter/Safety or best athlete to ever play for the skins. Just the best QB. For me, that's a 2 horse race, without a clear cut answer and mine is Sonny.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football