Redskins/Cowboys file grievance against NFL

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11015
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Redskins/Cowboys file grievance against NFL

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:16 pm

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/25/cowboys ... aking_news

JASON LA CANFORA
Cowboys, Redskins file joint grievance against NFL

By Jason La Canfora |
Published: March 25th, 2012 | Tags: Dallas Cowboys, Salary cap, Washington Redskins

The Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins have formally objected to the salary cap penalties they faced.

It is called a system arbitration case (Article 15 of the CBA). It will be heard by Professor Stephen Burbank of the University of Pennsylvania, according to the league.

On Friday, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said that his team was planning to take action against the NFL after it docked the Cowboys $10 million in salary-cap space for manipulating contracts in the 2011 uncapped year.

The Washington Redskins lost $36 million for similar infractions. Both teams’ lost cap space can be spread through the next two seasons.

Jones indicated that he reached out to his longtime NFC East rivals about fighting the league’s ruling.

The NFL took away millions in salary cap space from both teams after the two NFC East clubs pushed spending into the uncapped year to save money under the cap in 2011 and ’12.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: Redskins/Cowboys file grievance against NFL

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:31 pm

This is nice. I am all for it. I just hope we do not see an increase in penalty flags as retaliation.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15927
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Redskins and Cowpies file official grievance

Postby Deadskins » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:15 pm

JLC is reporting that the Redskins and Cowpies filed an official grievance against the league today for stripping them of cap space.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/25/cowboys ... line_stack
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo
Posts: 10234
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Re: Redskins/Cowboys file grievance against NFL

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:This is nice. I am all for it. I just hope we do not see an increase in penalty flags as retaliation.


That already happens. We often don't even get reviews that clearly show we were right.

I feel like there's something we don't know about this. Goodell slams us while admitting we broke no rules. I don't see how it was ever going to stand and when it's overturned he's going to have egg on his face.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15927
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:24 pm

Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15927
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:27 pm

How did mine get added to the Who stays - Who goes thread?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Deadskins wrote:How did mine get added to the Who stays - Who goes thread?


:shock:
Fixed it for ya
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:39 pm

The case is expected to be heard by Stephen Burbank, the University of Pennsylvania law professor who is the sport's "system arbitrator."

A decision by Burbank could be appealed to an appeals panel. Bubank was known as the "special master" under the NFL's previous labor deal.


The CBA gives Burbank exclusive jurisdiction over certain articles of the CBA, including those governing the salary cap.

That's why the case always was likely to end up in front of Burbank, rather than being challenged via a lawsuit outside the NFL framework.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:01 pm

John Mara: Redskins, Cowboys got off 'lucky'



John Mara, the owner of the New York Giants and the chairman of the NFL Management Committee, which imposed $46 million worth of salary-cap penalties on the Washington Redskins and the Dallas Cowboys for the way those teams structured contracts during the uncapped 2010 season, just walked through the lobby of The Breakers here on the day before the start of the NFL's annual meetings. Let's just say he's not having second thoughts.

"I thought the penalties imposed were proper," Mara said. "What they did was in violation of the spirit of the salary cap. They attempted to take advantage of a one-year loophole, and quite frankly, I think they're lucky they didn't lose draft picks."

The Redskins and Cowboys have filed a grievance against the NFL and the NFLPA over the matter, and Mara said he was aware of that. But he does not appear to be worried that the Redskins and Cowboys will prevail. While there was no salary cap in 2010 and no rule prohibited teams from spending whatever they wanted to spend that year, Mara said the issue "came up several times in our meetings," and that there was an agreement not to engage in the kind of behavior in which the Redskins and Cowboys behaved by dumping big cap hits into the uncapped year in order to save against the cap in future seasons.

"We all knew the cap would come back," Mara said. "We were not going to enter into any agreement with the NFLPA if there was not a salary cap in it."

Outside of the NFL, which has its own agreed-upon and collectively bargained rules regarding collusion, what the league did in 2010 would be regarded as collusive behavior -- all of he business owners in an industry conspiring and agreeing to limit the earnings of the workers in that industry. But Mara laughed off the word "collusion" when it was brought up this afternoon.

"This has nothing to do with collusion," he said. "It has to do with teams attempting to gain a competitive advantage through a loophole in the system. They attempted to take advantage of it knowing full well there would be consequences. There was nothing wrong with the individual contracts, but when you look at the overall scope of what they did, they were trying to take advantage and they were told not to."

This is clearly not the end of this argument. In fact, Jerry Jones checked into the hotel while Mara was talking to us, so I'm headed back to the lobby now to see if he's around and has anything to say about this. My guess is he'll disagree with what Mara thinks. Just a hunch.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Hagerstown ,Md.

Postby jmooney » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:45 pm

I dont know what the league will do to the Cowpies but, I'll bet they move full steam ahead with an "investigation" on the bounty program here in Washington now.

Its becoming pretty obvious that Mara was the driving force behind the whole thing and he may just have the commish in his pocket.

I actually think I hate that guy worse than Jerry Jones . Mara is a greedy so and so and was one of the main players behind the lockout last year. I'd like to see someone investigate his A$$. No way he's clean!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4271
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:49 pm

1niksder wrote:John Mara: Redskins, Cowboys got off 'lucky'



John Mara, the owner of the New York Giants and the chairman of the NFL Management Committee, which imposed $46 million worth of salary-cap penalties on the Washington Redskins and the Dallas Cowboys for the way those teams structured contracts during the uncapped 2010 season, just walked through the lobby of The Breakers here on the day before the start of the NFL's annual meetings. Let's just say he's not having second thoughts.

"I thought the penalties imposed were proper," Mara said. "What they did was in violation of the spirit of the salary cap. They attempted to take advantage of a one-year loophole, and quite frankly, I think they're lucky they didn't lose draft picks."

The Redskins and Cowboys have filed a grievance against the NFL and the NFLPA over the matter, and Mara said he was aware of that. But he does not appear to be worried that the Redskins and Cowboys will prevail. While there was no salary cap in 2010 and no rule prohibited teams from spending whatever they wanted to spend that year, Mara said the issue "came up several times in our meetings," and that there was an agreement not to engage in the kind of behavior in which the Redskins and Cowboys behaved by dumping big cap hits into the uncapped year in order to save against the cap in future seasons.

"We all knew the cap would come back," Mara said. "We were not going to enter into any agreement with the NFLPA if there was not a salary cap in it."

Outside of the NFL, which has its own agreed-upon and collectively bargained rules regarding collusion, what the league did in 2010 would be regarded as collusive behavior -- all of he business owners in an industry conspiring and agreeing to limit the earnings of the workers in that industry. But Mara laughed off the word "collusion" when it was brought up this afternoon.

"This has nothing to do with collusion," he said. "It has to do with teams attempting to gain a competitive advantage through a loophole in the system. They attempted to take advantage of it knowing full well there would be consequences. There was nothing wrong with the individual contracts, but when you look at the overall scope of what they did, they were trying to take advantage and they were told not to."

This is clearly not the end of this argument. In fact, Jerry Jones checked into the hotel while Mara was talking to us, so I'm headed back to the lobby now to see if he's around and has anything to say about this. My guess is he'll disagree with what Mara thinks. Just a hunch.


Turns out 11 owners (including Mara) are either original owners, their children, or their grandchildren. I wonder how many of these 11 are on the NFL Management Council Executive Committee which made this "recommendation" to the commish. :-k

Funny how it seems impossible to find the list of members. :-k

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: UK

Postby ferryrich » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:48 pm

loophole in the system? there was no system for a loophole to be in.

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:04 pm

ferryrich wrote:loophole in the system? there was no system for a loophole to be in.

If their were a system in place using a loophole would still be legal considering ALL contracts were approved. They're saying the total of the contracts were the problem but each contract in that total was.... wait.... wait.... wait on it.... APPROVED by the league
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

the 'mudge
Posts: 14367
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:46 pm

jmooney wrote:I dont know what the league will do to the Cowpies but, I'll bet they move full steam ahead with an "investigation" on the bounty program here in Washington now.

Its becoming pretty obvious that Mara was the driving force behind the whole thing and he may just have the commish in his pocket.

I actually think I hate that guy worse than Jerry Jones . Mara is a greedy so and so and was one of the main players behind the lockout last year. I'd like to see someone investigate his A$$. No way he's clean!


While I wouldn't put anything past Mara and his butt buddy, "the commish", doing so would likely result in the Danny holding a gun to the head of the League, and pulling the pin of the Nuclear option. I suspect the league will find a self serving means of avoiding this...

Beyond that, they have already announced that they have cleared the Redskins in this... the same has not been said of either Buffalo or Tenn... so I suspect that means that the league has actually "cleared" the Redskins.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ
Posts: 13123
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:37 pm

jmooney wrote:I dont know what the league will do to the Cowpies but, I'll bet they move full steam ahead with an "investigation" on the bounty program here in Washington now.

Its becoming pretty obvious that Mara was the driving force behind the whole thing and he may just have the commish in his pocket.

I actually think I hate that guy worse than Jerry Jones . Mara is a greedy so and so and was one of the main players behind the lockout last year. I'd like to see someone investigate his A$$. No way he's clean!


I do not like Mara OR the giants one little bit

but

the post above is just not even close

that Mara may have helped push this thru is about the only thing close


this BS ruling needs to change, no question
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football