Christian Ponder QB - FSU

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:58 pm

TCIYM wrote:Wesley Bunting

If I were to take any QB at Senior Bowl...my guy would be #FloridaState QB Christian Ponder #nfldraft

Is this the same Wesley Bunting that said in your earlier post that Ponder is an average QB that should go in the mid rounds? What changed?

Postby yupchagee » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:39 pm

markshark84 wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:
TCIYM wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
TCIYM wrote:Who was the last Florida QB to have any success at the NFL level?

Florida State, not Florida.

I meant ANY Florida school ... the answer is either Rex Grossman or Daunte Culpepper, depending upon the definition of "success."

Who cares who the last Florida QB was to have success in the NFL?

Who was the last Miami of Ohio QB to have success before Big Ben? How about the last Tennessee QB to have success before Peyton Manning? What about the last great Purdue QB before Brees?

Yeah. I don't really care where they went to school. That really doesn't matter. There is really no "QB U" in college.

Things that I generally look at with incredible scrutiny are:

1) accuracy -- i don't care that a guy can hit an open receiver in stride 30 yards downfield. what I REALLY care about is his ability to hit a guy 15 yards downfield that was completely covered or when he puts the ball only where his receiver can get it -- and can do this on a consistent basis; not just every now and again.

2) OL -- while you shouldn't hold it against a QB if his OL is superior, it should be considered; a guy that has all day may have a slow trigger; these types of things can really cloud a lot of a QB's weaknesses when analyzing

3) leadership -- you want a QB that can stand on his own two feet. a guy that can win in desperate situtaitons and always shows up to play. also, a guy that the players tend to center around. A true leader is one that sacrafices for his guys.

4) awareness/intelligence -- you want a guy who is smart, easily understands playbooks, and can make quick decisions.

5) arm strength, height -- i consider this less important than most, but there is a certain NFL standard. the DBs and LBs in the NFL are infinetley faster than in college and you have to have the arm to make up for that. For height, you just have to be able to see over your lineman. Just simple logistics.
6) consistency -- a guy that brings it everyday

IMHO, those are the most important traits in an NFL QB. I don't care where you went to school.

I'd put that last.Vick & Brees are both 6'0
Kurt Warner didn't have much of an arm.

What I think is more inportant is temperment. When a team wins, the QB gets too much credit. Whan they lose, he gets too much blame. Tey need the right temperment to handle the extremes.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:32 pm

Ponder at the Combine - Looking good!

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... g-combine/

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:29 pm

From Greg Gabriel, Nationalfootballpost.com:

One of the more interesting names in next week’s draft is quarterback Christian Ponder of Florida State. Some scouts have told me they feel he is a first-round quarterback and others have said they wouldn’t take him before the fourth. With that being said, I decided to look at some tape and form my own opinion. I was able to watch four tapes (against Oklahoma, Boston College, Maryland and Wake Forest) plus I saw the Senior Bowl practices and tape.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bre ... onder.html

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:44 am

Man oh man :shock:

I just looked back over some of these comments and from what I've seen recently about the QBs that might be available to us, I kind of hope he comes in here - I think this kid will be a good, to really good NFL QB

I just watched the film of Tom Brady and I did not know that the 49ers (among others) looked long and hard at Brady - Steve Marriucci even had Walsh look closely at him - Brady went to high school in that area and lived nearby - both Walsh and the 49ers staff felt that there was absolutely NO WAY that Brady could handle the NFL - Steve said that he felt that the Michigan HC liked Henson better
After the draft, the Michigan HC called the Patriots (who also did not think very much of Brady) and told them that Brady would prove to be, in his opinion, one of the best players they EVER drafted

ANYWAY - I think Ponder will be a really good NFL QB and if we can get him in the second round, we should

hopefully we are going to be able to make some trades and have a bunch of picks this draft too

it's all good
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:39 pm

For What It's Worth:

ESPN's Adam Schefter: "It doesn't look like either Christian Ponder or Andy Dalton is going to make it into the second round."

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:59 pm

That seems to be the consensus. One GM thinks that 5 QB's will be selected in the first round this year.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:42 pm

I guess that would mean that a lot of fans here don't know much about this kid :lol:

I'm kind of liking his chances in the NFL - he's going to want to prove that he's better than a lot of guys thought

driven to succeed - gotta love it
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:48 pm

Ponder visits the Redskins:

Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder visited the Washington Redskins on Tuesday and Wednesday, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Flo ... -week.html

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:51 am

Red_One43 wrote:Ponder visits the Redskins:

Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder visited the Washington Redskins on Tuesday and Wednesday, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

hopefully they drove him by the high school where Grossman & Beck were working out with the other players

just by accident of course :lol:

Postby yupchagee » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:00 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:Ponder visits the Redskins:

hopefully they drove him by the high school where Grossman & Beck were working out with the other players

just by accident of course :lol:

Good idea. If he watches them play, he'll be convinced he will be the starter from day 1 :twisted:
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:12 pm

Breaking Down Ponder in the Pro Style System:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bre ... ystem.html

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:30 pm

Very good read.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:39 am

frankcal20 wrote:Very good read.

Yes, the more I see stuff like that on Ponder, the more I see what you are talking about.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010