Another Trade Down Idea

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:16 pm

SkinsJock wrote:It's really simple - a bunch of no name players playing as a team will always be more successful than a group of stars that don't
Snyder & Cerrato are proof of that :lol:

Then here's hoping this team is not "successful" for a very long time; because I will not watch or support that type of team, EVER.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:21 am

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
1niksder wrote:They need impact players at OLB, RB, DE as well as at WR... who knows who will be on the board at #10.

The Patriots do not look for "impact players". They never have. That's part of why I can't stand them. Instead they look for low-priced, semi-talented players who fit their system. Their entire franchise is built on the idea that nobody is irreplacable. Not even Tom Brady.... see the results for the team when Brady was lost during game #1 of the season in 2008 or 2009. An unheralded backup came in and lead them to an 11-5 record. That same guy can't get out of his own way now in KC.

It's all about the SYSTEM in NE. Nothing more. That's why they don't have a lot of "stars" on their team. It isn't the way they do business.

11-5 didn't even get them to the playoffs, so really, that didn't prove anything.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:11 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:
Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
1niksder wrote:They need impact players at OLB, RB, DE as well as at WR... who knows who will be on the board at #10.

The Patriots do not look for "impact players". They never have. That's part of why I can't stand them. Instead they look for low-priced, semi-talented players who fit their system. Their entire franchise is built on the idea that nobody is irreplacable. Not even Tom Brady.... see the results for the team when Brady was lost during game #1 of the season in 2008 or 2009. An unheralded backup came in and lead them to an 11-5 record. That same guy can't get out of his own way now in KC.

It's all about the SYSTEM in NE. Nothing more. That's why they don't have a lot of "stars" on their team. It isn't the way they do business.

11-5 didn't even get them to the playoffs, so really, that didn't prove anything.

That was in 2008, from there they have been one and done since then. Maybe a few impact players could have helped them.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:22 pm

Regardless of whether 11-5 got them into the playoffs or not, and their recent one and done issues, I don't see them changing their way of doing things. That's been the word out of their camp as well.... No change in philosophy on the draft regardless of a new CBA, rookie salary cap, etc....

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:Regardless of whether 11-5 got them into the playoffs or not, and their recent one and done issues, I don't see them changing their way of doing things. That's been the word out of their camp as well.... No change in philosophy on the draft regardless of a new CBA, rookie salary cap, etc....

You can say that's the word out of their camp but you have never posted anything on this site that has passed the smell test

rotoworld.com

According to CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco, the Redskins are actually looking to trade down -- not up -- with Florida State's Christian Ponder and TCU's Andy Dalton in their sights.
It's disinformation season, which of course means conflicting reports. The Redskins have been connected to Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett and even Colin Kaepernick, but this is the first we've heard of interest in Ponder and Dalton. With GM Bruce Allen missing a third-round pick, trading down makes more sense than moving up. Prisco hears that one team with an interest in moving up to No. 10 is New England, perhaps with an eye on Ryan Kerrigan or Julio Jones.

Redskins eyeing a move back
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:15 am

1niksder wrote:You can say that's the word out of their camp but you have never posted anything on this site that has passed the smell test

All I can do is tell you what the Patriots draft people are telling the media here in Massachusetts. This topic (the Pats moving UP in the draft) has been in the air here for a while, and every time it comes up the team shoots it down. I don't have anything more than that and the way the Patriots organization has been run for the last decade to go on, but that's my take on the issue.

If my comments are that foul, it would seem that with the "STAFF" moniker on your avatar, you could fix that permanently if you wanted to.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:00 am

Belicheck is not shooting down the rumors.

We've definitely been contacted by teams below us offering to move back, and by teams behind us looking to move up," Belichick said in an appearance on Sirius/XM NFL Radio on Monday.
"There definitely seems to be a lot of interest in our draft picks. And as you know we're not afraid to trade them."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... ft-picks/1

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:47 am

I hope we can add to our draft picks - however, there is an awful lot of BS and outright mis-information being laid out here

fact is the franchises are all a little hand-cuffed by not being able to 'use' their players - this draft looks like being all about the draftees

it would stand to reason also that those teams with the fewest real needs are in better shape - as a matter of interest I do not think that the Patriots are in that group :lol:
"the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths" Gruden on RG3

RG3 needs to learn to read defenses better & utilize his talents and the players around him better

Postby 1niksder » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:37 am

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:I don't have anything more than that and the way the Patriots organization has been run for the last decade to go on, but that's my take on the issue.

Sniff...... sniff..... sniff........
Nope that don't smell right either.

Belichick also said he doesn’t just want to keep trading for the future forever.

“Sooner or later,” Belichick said, “you’ve got to convert those picks into productive players.”
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:06 pm

I think this is worth bringing back :lol:

1niksder wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Finding a trading partner is the hardest thing to do in the draft... yet, folks toss it out like it's a done deal...

It would be wonderful! But, what's in it for NE??????

New England needs players at OLB, RB, DE as well as at WR - who knows who will be on the board at #10

Houston, Minnesota, the Jags and a few other teams also are looking for pass rushers, then there's the Rams and Phins needing WR and RB help.

The Pats may want to get in front of them

Cameron Jordan, J.J. Watt, Corey Liuget, Robert Quinn, Justin Houston, or even Nick Fairley or Bowers could be there at #10 and won't be at #17.
Then again they could be looking at Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, or someone else that's on the board at #10 but is surely gone by #17.

The Bolts and Saints could be looking at the same players the Pats are and would make good alternatives to the Pats

Chargers #18 and #50 or the Saints #24, #56, and #120.

The Saints deal would be the Skins best option IMHO ....
I wouldn't mind Locker at #24 and Phil Taylor at #41 if it fell that way. The 2nd and 4th round picks total 494 pts on the trade value chart compared to the 318 in total pts lost in draft picks from the McNabb trade and swap of picks for Brown.

It all comes down to who's on the board when Shanny goes on the clock

because of the depth of players available at a number of positions AND no free agency yet - this could be a very different draft
"the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths" Gruden on RG3

RG3 needs to learn to read defenses better & utilize his talents and the players around him better

Postby 1niksder » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:33 am

Here's another one....

Make the Rams trade...
The 10th pick (1,300 pts.) to the Rams for 14th pick (1,100 pts.) and the 78th pick (200 pts.).

That gives Washington a 3rd round pick that they didn't have, and the Rams get a Jones

Then they can make the NE trade...
The 14th pick (1,100 pts.) to the Patriots for the 28th pick (660 pts.), 60th pick (300pts.), and the 92nd pick (132 pts.)

That gives the Skins another 2nd and another 3rd and the Pats two picks in the top 20.

They could stop there but with no FA signing why not make one deal

The Seahawks are the next trade partner....
The 41st pick (490 pts.) and the 78th (200 pts.) and the 144th (34 pts.0 to Seattle for the 25th pick (720 pts.)

Now they have...

The 25th and 28th picks in the in the 1st round, the 28th pick (60th) in the 2nd round, the 14th pick (78th) in the 3rd round, nothing in the 4th, the 27th pick (155th) in the 5th round, plus a pick in the 6th round and 3 in the 7th.

Eight days and counting
:twisted:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:46 am

thanks 1niksder - I'll say it again - I know that 'normally' (recently) we are not likely to see much trading of picks - given the current scenario and the depth at some positions (or lack of) - I think we'll see more draft trading as these first 4 or 5 guys come off the board

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:46 pm

With no free agency prior to this year's draft, I'm sure a lot of teams will be a bit more antsy than usual about "holes" in their roster. Could be quite interesting.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby yupchagee » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:46 pm

If teams are confident that hte next CBA will include a rookie cap, there may be less hesitency to trade up in the 1st round.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Postby 1niksder » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:15 pm

yupchagee wrote:If teams are confident that hte next CBA will include a rookie cap, there may be less hesitency to trade up in the 1st round.

Both sides have already agreed to this.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010