Will Whitticker

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:45 am

frankcal20 wrote:I'm sure that he gets a pass because like you said, he has access like no one else in our camp. I haven't been following it as long as you have but since I've been reading his stuff, he at least says what needs to be said when he criticizes the team. Similar to Brian Mitchell not like Larry Michael wh never sees anything wrong in DC.

So. . .a journalist that makes the kind of mistakes many pros get fired for is OK as long as he points out that, golly gee, this team is 5-11 and Archuleta wasn't worth the money (x10, of course)? :-s
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:12 am

I should make a couple of things clear...

1) I don't really hold Jason all that accountable for it. He's just a guy doing a job, and in this particular instance, I don't think it was a very good job. It's easy for him to check a fact like that, and I just think that not much thought was given to the player himself. Now - maybe being wrong abut it and creating a bit of a buzz only helps Shaw's ultimate case - but I still don't think much of it.
2) I think that the Post is the one that looks weak in this instance (to me). I'm sure that Jason has carte blanc on his blog, but to me that's irresponsible on the part of the Post. I'd submit that they have a LITTLE more stringent standards for their print material and official articles. It seems like an end run around some matters of journalistic integrity.
3) I think that ultimately it is we the fan who suffers. I can only speak for myself, but I find myself unable to believe almost ANYTHING that I come across. The media seem to have an infinite bone to pick with anything they can find with the team, and the official team releases are as one-sided as you would expect them to be.

We the fan are left looking at nothing but polar opposites and quite frankly, it's no real surprise that the fan base seems to share that black and white view.

To me, I think blogging has a real place in the scheme of things. I also think that it's a dangerous line you approach when you start letting the principles of each media type bleed together. I just think that somewhere in mass media outlets, there has to be some onus to not forsake integrity for what essentially equates to volume.

My 2 cents My 2 cents
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:52 pm

BossHog wrote:I should make a couple of things clear...

1) I don't really hold Jason all that accountable for it. He's just a guy doing a job, and in this particular instance, I don't think it was a very good job. It's easy for him to check a fact like that, and I just think that not much thought was given to the player himself. Now - maybe being wrong abut it and creating a bit of a buzz only helps Shaw's ultimate case - but I still don't think much of it.
2) I think that the Post is the one that looks weak in this instance (to me). I'm sure that Jason has carte blanc on his blog, but to me that's irresponsible on the part of the Post. I'd submit that they have a LITTLE more stringent standards for their print material and official articles. It seems like an end run around some matters of journalistic integrity.
3) I think that ultimately it is we the fan who suffers. I can only speak for myself, but I find myself unable to believe almost ANYTHING that I come across. The media seem to have an infinite bone to pick with anything they can find with the team, and the official team releases are as one-sided as you would expect them to be.

We the fan are left looking at nothing but polar opposites and quite frankly, it's no real surprise that the fan base seems to share that black and white view.

To me, I think blogging has a real place in the scheme of things. I also think that it's a dangerous line you approach when you start letting the principles of each media type bleed together. I just think that somewhere in mass media outlets, there has to be some onus to not forsake integrity for what essentially equates to volume.

My 2 cents My 2 cents

No your right. After hearing everyones full point of view it makes sense. I just wanted to say that something like this shouldn't have this guy loose his job or someone getting all bent out of shape. The only person who has that right, is the one spoken about. Jason as well as the editor should check and verify these things....In their defense though, these are "Rumors" and the NFL teams won't do that until they do their press release. just my two cents

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007