Stephon Heyer

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
Hog

Stephon Heyer

Postby BernieSki » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:53 am

I was listening to the John Riggin's Show yesterday and he was saying that Stephon Heyer may be the biggest surprise of this camp. He said that he has been playing LT in place of Samuels and he has looked real good. I was wondering if anyone else has heard anything on him. Sometimes you do not know what you have until given a chance to play.

Just a little background.

At the University of Maryland he was a fifth-year senior who ended his career as an All-ACC performer ... a three-year starter at offensive tackle ... overcame a season-ending left ACL tear at the start of 2005 ... a leader on the offensive line during his final three seasons ... started 37 games, all at left tackle, in his career ... wears a size-22 sneaker off the field but likes to squeeze into an 18 cleat on game days ...

Hometown:
Lawrenceville, Ga.

High School:
Brookwood

Height / Weight:
6-6 / 320

Position:
Offensive Tackle
BernSki

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:46 am

I've been reading all positives about him, as well. Gibbs said that he performed very well in the scrimmage / practice against the buzzards on Saturday. Good to hear of a diamond-in-the-rough story. Maybe our talent scouting and recruiting isn't incompetent after all.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:11 am

Heyer is banged up today.. says knee isnt the issue( major problem for him throughout college) but he strained his hammy and is trying to take it easy before the 1st preseason game.. we are dropping like flys..

who is our strength and conditioning coach? we may need to evaluate that area

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:01 am

That also has a lot to do with guys coming into camp in shape. At some point, its personal responsibility of the player.

Hog

Postby Tom C » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:36 pm

He's an undrafted rookie, how long do you think he's been working out with the strength and conditioning staff?
Go Skins!!!
I was reading in the paper today about this dwarf that got pick pocketed. How could anyone stoop so low?

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:46 am

frankcal20 wrote:That also has a lot to do with guys coming into camp in shape. At some point, its personal responsibility of the player.

. . .and sometimes injuries are just accidents. . .
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

mursilis

Postby Mursilis » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:47 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:That also has a lot to do with guys coming into camp in shape. At some point, its personal responsibility of the player.

. . .and sometimes injuries are just accidents. . .

In a game like football? :hmm: If you say so . . .

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:57 pm

Having played football most of my life and 4 knee operation from the sport I have pretty good knowledge about injuries in the game. if you remember Ray Brown who was an offensive lineman for many years in the NFL he gave credit to his longevity to being in shape as well as flexability. I was always In shape but not flexable. i have one of the top surgeons in the country and he has said that most sports injuries can be avoided by flexability and conditioning. Im going totrust what he says being that this is his profession. He is one of the lakers, la galexy, usc, and the us national soccer teams ortho surgeon. hes not a rookie.

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007