Michigan Was Robbed

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:16 pm

What about an undefeated team like Boise State getting the snub? I know people will talk about "strength of schedule" but they are the only undefeated team in the top 10 (other than OSU). That is why they need a playoff system. I mean, they have a month until they play again! You can fit a playoff system in there even if they cut the season to say 9-10 games.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:30 pm

Fios wrote:I follow college football with the same intensity, or lack thereof, that you do, I'm just saying I can see some logic in saying Florida won it's conference, Michigan did not, thus Michigan loses out. Is it "fair"? No but the Bowl system sucks as it is anyway. Sure, I agree that Michigan is a better team but you'd have trouble selling me on the notion that since Michigan deserves a second shot at OSU as opposed to a team that won its division. A playoff system, even a four team system, would be a better solution but, until that happens, we're stuck with not-very-good solutions.

Well, given that Florida plays four ranked teams in their conference, I can understand that argument, but I think that speaks more to strength of schedule than it does to simply winning a conference. However, that fact that UM lost one game to the top ranked team by three points AT OSU is a pretty strong argument as well. Take away three points for home field advantage, and theoretically you have exactly equal teams.

Fios wrote:Oh, and your mother.

Wow. Does that statement cover ALL mother jokes? If so, that may be the ultimate insult for which there is no response.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

####

Postby JPM36 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:31 pm

redskingush wrote:The funny thing is, USC is going to crush Michigan in the Rose Bowl. USC stunk on Saturday VS UCLA but they destroyed ND 2 weeks ago, at 10-2 they dont deserve the title game, but I still think they are a good matchup to OSU.

Wow I don't agree with that at all. USC overachieved this year bc they got to play most of their tough games at home and they caught Arkansas early.

Michigan is loaded with future NFL linemen on both sides of the ball, as well as a veteran QB, a veteran RB, and a corner in Leon Hall, who may be the best in the country, to cover Dwayne Jarret.

They could also potentially win the AP National Title if they crushed USC and Florida beat Ohio St. in a close game, the same way USC won the AP title a couple years ago after LSU beat Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

Take Michigan in the Rose Bowl.
R.I.P. Christopher Wallace (May 21, 1972 - March 9, 1997)

R.I.P. Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 - November 27, 2007)

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:18 pm

joebagadonuts wrote:Well, given that Florida plays four ranked teams in their conference, I can understand that argument, but I think that speaks more to strength of schedule than it does to simply winning a conference. However, that fact that UM lost one game to the top ranked team by three points AT OSU is a pretty strong argument as well. Take away three points for home field advantage, and theoretically you have exactly equal teams.

Agreed, again, I'm not going to defend the system, because it's inherently flawed but the result is one that I find, at least understandable, if not ideal

Fios wrote:Oh, and your mother.

joebagadonuts wrote:Wow. Does that statement cover ALL mother jokes? If so, that may be the ultimate insult for which there is no response.

Yes, it's totally comprehensive, it's the alpha and omega of momma jokes
RIP Sean Taylor

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:27 pm

..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:27 pm

College football is not even close to a playoff system.

Having two teams from the same conference be 1 and 2 this year is a good case to make this point.

Let's say we had a playoff system in place this year and you had Michigan playing Ohio State for the Big 10 title at the end of the season when they always play? I am sure that as both teams would know they had some playoff games ahead, that the coaches would rest some players and not play the game the same as it really would not count - not going to happen!

The playoffs would also mean the end of bowl games as we have now and that is just not going to happen.

I am hoping for a OSU win as that is as good a team as I have seen and they are really well coached.
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:40 am

College football is not technically a sport.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:25 am

tcwest10 wrote:College football is not technically a sport.

Well, it is by Carlin's definition (a chance for a major debilitating injury).
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

Hog

Postby redskingush » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:46 am

Cappster wrote:What about an undefeated team like Boise State getting the snub? I know people will talk about "strength of schedule" but they are the only undefeated team in the top 10 (other than OSU). That is why they need a playoff system. I mean, they have a month until they play again! You can fit a playoff system in there even if they cut the season to say 9-10 games.

I love Boise State, but the WAC is weak, the strength of schedule does matter. Boise will give Oklahoma a good game, but their defence stinks, if they were to play OSU i bet the score would 70-50 OSU.
GO SKINS GO!!

####

Postby JPM36 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:58 am

Ohio St. would beat Boise St. by a lot more than 20...
R.I.P. Christopher Wallace (May 21, 1972 - March 9, 1997)

R.I.P. Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 - November 27, 2007)

cappster

Postby Cappster » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:15 pm

JPM36 wrote:Ohio St. would beat Boise St. by a lot more than 20...

Any given SATURDAY, ANY team can win. You will never know until the game is played who the winner is going to be. Maybe they could come up with a hybrid system of bowl games and playoffs. Kind of like the NCAA basketball tourney. You have the "March Madness" tourney, in football that would be like a 12 team playoff. Then you have the "NIT" (losers) tourney, which could be the bowl games.

That way most everyone sould be happy because the "other" teams would still make money off of a bowl game and we could have a TRUE national champion.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Hog

Postby John Manfreda » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:45 pm

The SEC is overrated USC destroyed Arkansas I don't care if it was at USC, a loss like that is inexscusable and Georgia beat Colorado by 1, just in case u didn't know Colorado is the dormat of the BIg 12 now. Michigan should have been playing for the National championship.

|

Postby sch1977 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:00 am

InsaneBoost wrote:Thats why nobody likes the BCS, the computer does it all, it should be like the NFL, Records, not a computer setup

If it was based on records, Boise State would be playing Ohio State! :cry:
Taylor and Landry will take no Prisoners!! - I just can't bring myself to delete it!

Hog

Postby redskingush » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:23 am

If it was based on records, there would be a bunch of teams scheduling no bodys to maybe ensure a undefeated season.
GO SKINS GO!!

Return to Around the League