T.O. Done for the year

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:24 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote: He wasnt a cancer until he realized he wasnt getting paid what he deserved BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

Is TO now a victim of the terrible stingy Eagles? :roll:

San Francisco 49ers anybody? Were they terrible to him too?

How about the Ravens?

Where have you been over the last few years?

T.O.'s ego collides with insecurityBy Skip Bayless

In the fall of 2002, while doing a radio show on KNBR in San Francisco, I said in exasperation that Terrell Owens needed counseling. The guy was tearing apart a surefire playoff team with a quarterback, Jeff Garcia, who was on his way to a third straight Pro Bowl.

That prompted an off-air call from the man who built and coached the greatest 49ers teams, Bill Walsh.

Walsh was an advisor to the team and was just as frustrated with Owens as I was. Walsh wanted me to know that the team had provided Owens with counseling -- unsuccessfully.

Counseling rarely works when the recipient doesn't believe he needs it. With Owens, it was always everyone's fault but his.

Nothing has changed.

I'd still like to see Owens seek what you might call T.O.-management counseling. Yet it still appears he doesn't really believe any of his flameout in Philadelphia was his doing.

Owens has always been a deeply flawed collision of fame-craving ego and fatherless, small-town insecurity. When he has been on the threshold of superstardom, in San Francisco and then Philly, the insecurity has prevailed. He still isn't sure he can live up to the cornerback-terrorizing, Sharpie-in-the-sock T.O. persona he created -- the virtual video-game character. So he keeps creating phantom feuds with his quarterback, his coach and his management so he has someone to blame if he fails.

His inferiority complex wins out over his superiority complex.

Garcia used to say that Owens "plays with such rage." I always thought he was motivated by rage's evil twin, fear.

Beneath all of T.O.'s outrageous egomania still lurks a shy, late bloomer from Alexander City, Ala., who wasn't heavily recruited out of high school and who went higher in the draft (third round) than most experts projected. Owens has never quite been comfortable with being the can't-get-enough-of-him star he so badly wants to be.

As Walsh said in 2002: "What's so perplexing is that he doesn't get in any of the usual off-the-field trouble. He's as sharp in meetings as any player I've seen -- he knows his assignments and everyone else's. But just when you think he's ready to become a truly elite player, he just self-destructs."

Andy Reid and the Eagles finally turned their backs on T.O.

He makes himself impossible to live with. He alienates his teammates, his bosses and, finally, his fans. He destroys heaven-sent situations.

What more could he have wanted than to be the star for one of the NFL's best franchises in San Francisco, one of the world's greatest cities? After Jerry Rice moved across the Bay to Oakland, Owens led the NFL in touchdown catches in 2001 and 2002.

Yet, while he dropped more than his share of crucial passes, he began knocking Garcia's arm strength. Though he alligator-armed an over-the-middle pass that turned into a game-ending overtime interception at Chicago, he accused coach Steve Mariucci of letting up with a 28-9 lead on close friend Dick Jauron, who coached the Bears. And of course, Owens was always underpaid and underappreciated by management.

And yes, management eventually decided he was more far trouble than he was worth.

Several 49ers officials were amazed and amused that Philadelphia's Andy Reid, of all the tough-guy, no-nonsense coaches, thought he could harness Terrible Owens. But Owens convinced Reid that all he ever wanted was to catch passes from Donovan McNabb, who welcomed and embraced No. 81.

Reid began treating T.O. with a mellowing patience he hadn't shown any other player. Philly fans worshipped T.O. as their Super Bowl savior. The Eagles tore up his 49ers contract and gave him a new long-term deal he gratefully signed. What more could he have wanted?

But if you had observed Owens in San Francisco -- as I did -- you knew it was just a matter of time.

I thought of Walsh's 2002 call Tuesday afternoon as I watched Owens read a grudgingly unapologetic apology. He "apologized" to McNabb for any comments that may have been negative. May?

Owens agreed with Michael Irvin's contention on ESPN that the 4-3 Eagles would have been 7-0 with Brett Favre at quarterback. Not Peyton Manning or Michael Vick. Favre, who is 36 years old and has thrown an NFL-high 14 interceptions.

Yes, McNabb has a stomach-muscle tear that, he says, will require surgery after the season. But this was a last-straw, low-blow shot at a quarterback who has been to five straight Pro Bowls -- one who had established himself as an MVP candidate through the Eagles' first four games. Since February's Super Bowl, Owens has conducted a smear campaign of McNabb -- just like he attacked Garcia in San Francisco.

McNabb had to be even more angered by that "may." The single biggest reason Eagles management finally came to its senses and sent Owens home was that he refused to apologize to McNabb face-to-face after reportedly offering to fight McNabb last week in the locker room.

May?

Owens also laughably apologized to Eagles coach Andy Reid, saying, "you and I were in a tough spot this year." No, Reid was in the tough spot because Owens was constantly defying him, verbally abusing offensive coordinator Brad Childress and feuding with the franchise quarterback.

Eagles president Joe Banner indicates there were many more incidents that didn't become public, and I believe him.

McNabb says the Eagles will be a little better off without Owens, and I believe him.

Don't be surprised if, with the T.O. cloud lifted off the locker room, the Eagles pull back together, beat Dallas at home on Monday night, win seven of their last eight and take the NFC East.

That would teach Owens … wouldn't it?

Pardon the wishful thinking.

I'm obviously no fan of Owens, but I do feel sorry for the guy in one regard. He's much closer to burning every NFL bridge than he thinks. And what a sorry waste of talent that would be.

Rodney Harrison, New England's respected team leader, surely spoke for veterans on many teams when he said on Boston radio station WEEI: "If I was a GM, I don't care if he wanted to come play for the league minimum, I would not want him in my locker room. I would not want him around my organization or my city. … I do not respect him. I just think he's a selfish jerk. All he thinks about is money and himself."

Listening, T.O.?

Insiders in Atlanta and Oakland say those teams want no part of you. You hear Denver or Miami, but would Mike Shanahan or Nick Saban take you after what you did to Reid? Maybe New Orleans would risk signing you just to sell some tickets and distract fans from the mess that owner Tom Benson has made of the Saints.

But now that you've been kicked out of the Eagles' nest, your places to land are dangerously dwindling.

The best thing you could do isn't to offer qualified apologies carefully crafted by your crafty agent or to file a grievance against the Eagles. No, it's time to voluntarily get some kind of counseling.

Time to -- shocking concept -- humble yourself.

Time to show the NFL you're finally mature, and man enough to publicly admit the problem lies within you. No more finger-pointing. No more letting your self-promoting showman of an agent tell you how much more money you deserve so he can get more camera time.

Time to do what the greatest coach ever -- Walsh, a man you admire -- wanted you to do three years ago.

Time to find a professional you can trust.

Time to make peace with that insecure kid from Alexander City.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ess/051110
Skip Bayless now that guy cracks me up. You watchn that cold pizza huh? Well heck its obvious im beating on a dead horse on this one. Some people love him most people hate him. I just see a guy who wants to win. I understand where you guys are coming from. All Im saying is that with all the incidents that have gone on with T.O. none of it means he deserves to not play in the league. Anyhow points well taken just saying try looking at it in T.O.s point of view.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby Primetime42 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:29 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote: He wasnt a cancer until he realized he wasnt getting paid what he deserved BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

Is TO now a victim of the terrible stingy Eagles? :roll:

San Francisco 49ers anybody? Were they terrible to him too?

How about the Ravens?

Where have you been over the last few years?

T.O.'s ego collides with insecurityBy Skip Bayless

In the fall of 2002, while doing a radio show on KNBR in San Francisco, I said in exasperation that Terrell Owens needed counseling. The guy was tearing apart a surefire playoff team with a quarterback, Jeff Garcia, who was on his way to a third straight Pro Bowl.

That prompted an off-air call from the man who built and coached the greatest 49ers teams, Bill Walsh.

Walsh was an advisor to the team and was just as frustrated with Owens as I was. Walsh wanted me to know that the team had provided Owens with counseling -- unsuccessfully.

Counseling rarely works when the recipient doesn't believe he needs it. With Owens, it was always everyone's fault but his.

Nothing has changed.

I'd still like to see Owens seek what you might call T.O.-management counseling. Yet it still appears he doesn't really believe any of his flameout in Philadelphia was his doing.

Owens has always been a deeply flawed collision of fame-craving ego and fatherless, small-town insecurity. When he has been on the threshold of superstardom, in San Francisco and then Philly, the insecurity has prevailed. He still isn't sure he can live up to the cornerback-terrorizing, Sharpie-in-the-sock T.O. persona he created -- the virtual video-game character. So he keeps creating phantom feuds with his quarterback, his coach and his management so he has someone to blame if he fails.

His inferiority complex wins out over his superiority complex.

Garcia used to say that Owens "plays with such rage." I always thought he was motivated by rage's evil twin, fear.

Beneath all of T.O.'s outrageous egomania still lurks a shy, late bloomer from Alexander City, Ala., who wasn't heavily recruited out of high school and who went higher in the draft (third round) than most experts projected. Owens has never quite been comfortable with being the can't-get-enough-of-him star he so badly wants to be.

As Walsh said in 2002: "What's so perplexing is that he doesn't get in any of the usual off-the-field trouble. He's as sharp in meetings as any player I've seen -- he knows his assignments and everyone else's. But just when you think he's ready to become a truly elite player, he just self-destructs."

Andy Reid and the Eagles finally turned their backs on T.O.

He makes himself impossible to live with. He alienates his teammates, his bosses and, finally, his fans. He destroys heaven-sent situations.

What more could he have wanted than to be the star for one of the NFL's best franchises in San Francisco, one of the world's greatest cities? After Jerry Rice moved across the Bay to Oakland, Owens led the NFL in touchdown catches in 2001 and 2002.

Yet, while he dropped more than his share of crucial passes, he began knocking Garcia's arm strength. Though he alligator-armed an over-the-middle pass that turned into a game-ending overtime interception at Chicago, he accused coach Steve Mariucci of letting up with a 28-9 lead on close friend Dick Jauron, who coached the Bears. And of course, Owens was always underpaid and underappreciated by management.

And yes, management eventually decided he was more far trouble than he was worth.

Several 49ers officials were amazed and amused that Philadelphia's Andy Reid, of all the tough-guy, no-nonsense coaches, thought he could harness Terrible Owens. But Owens convinced Reid that all he ever wanted was to catch passes from Donovan McNabb, who welcomed and embraced No. 81.

Reid began treating T.O. with a mellowing patience he hadn't shown any other player. Philly fans worshipped T.O. as their Super Bowl savior. The Eagles tore up his 49ers contract and gave him a new long-term deal he gratefully signed. What more could he have wanted?

But if you had observed Owens in San Francisco -- as I did -- you knew it was just a matter of time.

I thought of Walsh's 2002 call Tuesday afternoon as I watched Owens read a grudgingly unapologetic apology. He "apologized" to McNabb for any comments that may have been negative. May?

Owens agreed with Michael Irvin's contention on ESPN that the 4-3 Eagles would have been 7-0 with Brett Favre at quarterback. Not Peyton Manning or Michael Vick. Favre, who is 36 years old and has thrown an NFL-high 14 interceptions.

Yes, McNabb has a stomach-muscle tear that, he says, will require surgery after the season. But this was a last-straw, low-blow shot at a quarterback who has been to five straight Pro Bowls -- one who had established himself as an MVP candidate through the Eagles' first four games. Since February's Super Bowl, Owens has conducted a smear campaign of McNabb -- just like he attacked Garcia in San Francisco.

McNabb had to be even more angered by that "may." The single biggest reason Eagles management finally came to its senses and sent Owens home was that he refused to apologize to McNabb face-to-face after reportedly offering to fight McNabb last week in the locker room.

May?

Owens also laughably apologized to Eagles coach Andy Reid, saying, "you and I were in a tough spot this year." No, Reid was in the tough spot because Owens was constantly defying him, verbally abusing offensive coordinator Brad Childress and feuding with the franchise quarterback.

Eagles president Joe Banner indicates there were many more incidents that didn't become public, and I believe him.

McNabb says the Eagles will be a little better off without Owens, and I believe him.

Don't be surprised if, with the T.O. cloud lifted off the locker room, the Eagles pull back together, beat Dallas at home on Monday night, win seven of their last eight and take the NFC East.

That would teach Owens … wouldn't it?

Pardon the wishful thinking.

I'm obviously no fan of Owens, but I do feel sorry for the guy in one regard. He's much closer to burning every NFL bridge than he thinks. And what a sorry waste of talent that would be.

Rodney Harrison, New England's respected team leader, surely spoke for veterans on many teams when he said on Boston radio station WEEI: "If I was a GM, I don't care if he wanted to come play for the league minimum, I would not want him in my locker room. I would not want him around my organization or my city. … I do not respect him. I just think he's a selfish jerk. All he thinks about is money and himself."

Listening, T.O.?

Insiders in Atlanta and Oakland say those teams want no part of you. You hear Denver or Miami, but would Mike Shanahan or Nick Saban take you after what you did to Reid? Maybe New Orleans would risk signing you just to sell some tickets and distract fans from the mess that owner Tom Benson has made of the Saints.

But now that you've been kicked out of the Eagles' nest, your places to land are dangerously dwindling.

The best thing you could do isn't to offer qualified apologies carefully crafted by your crafty agent or to file a grievance against the Eagles. No, it's time to voluntarily get some kind of counseling.

Time to -- shocking concept -- humble yourself.

Time to show the NFL you're finally mature, and man enough to publicly admit the problem lies within you. No more finger-pointing. No more letting your self-promoting showman of an agent tell you how much more money you deserve so he can get more camera time.

Time to do what the greatest coach ever -- Walsh, a man you admire -- wanted you to do three years ago.

Time to find a professional you can trust.

Time to make peace with that insecure kid from Alexander City.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ess/051110
Was only a matter of time before someone busted out with a Skip Bayless article. :lol:
"He's a playmaker, that's his label. They used to have strong safeties, but now they got another position: They're called playmakers." -Terence Newman on Roy Williams

Hog

Postby skins81 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:48 pm

Newsday.com took down Bob Glauber's story that the suspension would be reduced.
That is some fine journalism my friends. :roll:
"I DN'T ENVISION MYSELF LEAVING, BUT I CN'T STAY WHERE I'M NT WANTED AFTER ALL THESE REPORTS R COMIN OUT DAILY!" - TO

Hog

Postby skins81 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:59 pm

He was basically just making stuff up and claiming it as fact.

The suspension was "expected" to be reduced to "one or two games" and that Owens would be immediately reinstated.

What a tool.

Or am I the tool for believing Newsday was a respected newspaper?
"I DN'T ENVISION MYSELF LEAVING, BUT I CN'T STAY WHERE I'M NT WANTED AFTER ALL THESE REPORTS R COMIN OUT DAILY!" - TO

Hog

Postby skins81 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:00 pm

Skip owes his last years salary to TO. :roll:

Hog

Postby hkHog » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:17 pm

REDEEMEDSKIN wrote:
hkHog wrote:This arbitrator sucks. First he was supposed to have made his decision by Sunday, then by Monday, then by Tuesday night, and most recently Wednesday at noon. Well it's 1 freaking 30 and his ruling hasn't come out yet!!! This is agonizing, let this whole stupid story be done with!

This is the same guy who "awrded" us Chad Morton when we went to arbitration. He was "good" then, but now he "sucks"?? :hmm:

I was only joking. BTW, he is a 'Skins season ticket holder!!!
"We're not going to be the pushovers of the NFL, we're gonna push over some people!" - Clinton Portis

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:04 am

hkHog wrote:I was only joking. BTW, he is a 'Skins season ticket holder!!!

The NFLPA isn't joking.... ESPN is reporting that the CBA allows either side to fire any arbitrator between Dec. 2nd and Dec.12.... There will be a Redskin season ticket holder looking for a job in a few weeks
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

put AM in the HOF

Postby tcwest10 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:04 pm

skins81 wrote:He was basically just making stuff up and claiming it as fact.

The suspension was "expected" to be reduced to "one or two games" and that Owens would be immediately reinstated.

What a tool.

Or am I the tool for believing Newsday was a respected newspaper?

No, you're not a tool. The guy figured that, what with all the pressure from minority groups, the NFL would surely find away to put a moneymaker back on the field. He wanted to be the first to report it, and he scooped himself.
Relax. He won't be writing for Newsweek anymore.
"Sit back and watch the Redskins.
SOMETHING MAGICAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!"
JPFair- A fan's fan. RIP, brother

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:58 pm

skins81 wrote:Newsday.com took down Bob Glauber's story that the suspension would be reduced.
That is some fine journalism my friends. :roll:

LEAGUE OFFICIAL CALLS FOR GLAUBER TO BE FIRED

In the wake of an erroneous Monday report that read more like guesswork than actual journalism, a highly-placed front office executive with an NFL team other than the Eagles tells us that, in his opinion, Bob Glauber of Newsday should join the ranks of the unemployed.

"Glauber should be fired," the source said. "He guessed and guessed wrong and now looks like a total ass and an embarrassment to his paper."

An article by Glauber posted on the newspaper's official web site reported that arbitrator Richard Bloch would reduce Owens' suspension to one or two games, and that the Eagles would consider releasing Owens if, upon returning to the team, he creates any further distractions.

The story, coincidentally, has been expunged from the Newsday site.

Before Glauber's report was exposed as a pile of globber (sorry, it was the best we could do), an industry source offered this observation: "To a number of NFL writers, Glauber has always been known as one of the laziest, least talented journalists in the entire business."

Ouch.

It'll be interesting to see whether Glauber suffers anything other than public humiliation for his report. At a minimum, someone should be asking him pointed questions regarding the unnamed source who supposedly told him that the suspension would be reduced.

And there's a big difference between rank speculation (in which we and others engaged) and an actual "report" that certain events will occur. In Glauber's case, he blurred the line between speculation and fact -- saying that the reduction was "expected" but implying that the reduction would occur.

But if the real story was that someone connected to the situation "expected" a reduction, Glauber should have been more clear.

Given that the story has since been wiped off of the Internet with an electronic ball of toilet paper, it's now clear to us that Glauber believed (without credible information) that the suspension would be reduced to one or two games, and that he wanted to create the false impression that he had "scooped" the Philadelphia media and the various folks at ESPN and other national outlets who have been working this story hard.

PFT
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to Around the League