Horrible Pre season

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
|||

Horrible Pre season

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:16 pm

I Know pre season means nothing but man our offense failed to even reach the red zone with Brunell at the helm. Maybe he will do better in the season but man this is a little scary. So far Brunell has failed to impress. I am not going to bash. But it seems to me if he dosent shape up in the first few games a change is in order. I really think we should break J Campbell in already. Brunell has failed to throw a touchdown since late last season. I dont want to start another Brunell bashing but man it seems obvious we need some new blood in there.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:34 am

i appreciate your concern, and like everyone else here shared it many times during these games. however, i think you need to read some of the many articles written about how the coaches have not been running ANY sort of game plan or using ANY of their systems during these games. they are just lining up players 1 on 1 to see what they can do. obviously, we'd prefer a better result. but really, the offense didn't even come to really trying yet. how often were moss and/or lloyd and/or randle el on the field at the same time, let alone at all? how many times did portis run the ball, and how many passes did we throw to cooley? those 2 will be the primary offensive weapons this year, and we barely used them.

next monday night, we will pull out the stops. don't worry.

Hog

Postby old-timer » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:38 am

die cowboys die wrote:i appreciate your concern, and like everyone else here shared it many times during these games. however, i think you need to read some of the many articles written about how the coaches have not been running ANY sort of game plan or using ANY of their systems during these games. they are just lining up players 1 on 1 to see what they can do. obviously, we'd prefer a better result. but really, the offense didn't even come to really trying yet. how often were moss and/or lloyd and/or randle el on the field at the same time, let alone at all? how many times did portis run the ball, and how many passes did we throw to cooley? those 2 will be the primary offensive weapons this year, and we barely used them.

next monday night, we will pull out the stops. don't worry.

Of course, the Redskins have been simply horrible in the preseason. Does it mean they'll be bad in the regular season? We'll know soon enough. My opinion is that we have a serious problem along both offensive and defensive lines, particularly with depth. People keep saying that we're only running plain vanilla on offense and defense but the fact is other teams' plain vanilla is better than ours, and our second teams, especially on offense, have been beaten badly man-on-man, plain vanilla vs plain vanilla. I've been thinking this for awhile, and I felt validated on this when a knowledgeable ESPN analyst (I forget who it was) mentioned it after the Ravens beat us on Thursday, so I know I'm not alone.

Line play is critical in the NFC East. Having great receivers running patterns means nothing if your QB is on his back. Having Duckett carrying the ball means nothing if there's two guys in the backfield ready to tackle him before he even takes the handoff. Having a great secondary means nothing if you're giving Tom Brady 5 seconds to play pitch and catch with five different receivers.

I'm not jumping off any bandwagons here, just being realistic based on what we've all seen. Maybe what we've seen means nothing, but I always believe in what I've seen as opposed to what I haven't.

Hog

Postby cvillehog » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:45 am

old-timer,
That assumes the other teams really were playing plain vanilla. I'm not sure they were.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:41 am

other teams' plain vanilla is better than ours

Are you kidding? Cincinatti, the Jets, NE, and the Raisins all loaded their game plans. Cincinatti and NE especially.... Two flea flickers agains the Bingos? Almost a full half of no-huddle by the Patsies? NOT vanilla. Apparently, Bellichek felt it was important to win that game.

I have the same concerns about O-line depth... but, don't try to tell me that those 4 teams were running vanilla... no way.
Last edited by Countertrey on Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:44 am

Countertrey wrote:
other teams' plain vanilla is better than ours

Are you kidding? The Jets, NE, and the Raisins all loaded their game plans. NE especially.... almost a full half of no-huddle? NOT vanilla. Apparently, Bellichek felt it was important to win that game.
And Cincinnati ran two flea-flickers. Sounds more like rocky road to me.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:49 am

I was editing as you posted, JSPB22! We crossed paths!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:52 am

Countertrey wrote:I was editing as you posted, JSPB22! We crossed paths!

I hate it when that happens. :evil:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

piglet

Postby box » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:08 pm

After readin a thousand posts, literally, about how we suck and cant score points and yadayada blah blah i have come to the conclusion that most fans dont have a clue what they are talkin about.

Seriously, how can someone say we suck? Let me see the first string O play the whole damn game first..geez. Do i think most teams have the cb depth to play our 3 receivers str8 up? Moss will eat up single coverage. Funny though most people rate our O based on a few short passes to lloyd and a few gut runs with a third rate running back. Does anyone think saunders doesnt know what he is doing? He is the BEST at what he does. Maybe thats just not good enough huh.

Let me just say the D doesnt have to prove anything to ME in the preseason.

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:16 pm

old-timer wrote:...a knowledgeable ESPN analyst ...

... ::blink::

...sorry... just trying to wrap my head around this combination of words...

...i think i blew a fuse in my brain.

Postby yupchagee » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:38 pm

die cowboys die wrote:
old-timer wrote:...a knowledgeable ESPN analyst ...

...sorry... just trying to wrap my head around this combination of words...

...i think i blew a fuse in my brain.

It's called an oxymoron.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007