Small handguns..

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
the 'mudge

Re: Small handguns..

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:41 pm

Well... it worked for Harry...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:03 pm

"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:32 pm

It's late, you hear a noise, you are startled. At this point you frantically turn off any fan or noise to get that eerily deep silence, you could hear a pin drop. You start to feel your heat beat in the back of your ears. You are nervous now and maybe turn on a light to deter someone or alert a potential intruder that you are in the house. You quietly reach into wherever you keep your gun and you slowly and quietly prepare for the worst. Your hands need to be firm but not white knuckled, you need to grab the doorknob off hand keeping the weapon close but straight ahead. You creep the door open. its pitch black in your hallway. You turn on a bunch of lights in the house, slowly checking every window and door for signs of forced entry. By this time your hands are sweaty, you are nervous. Everything seems to check out, you and your family are safe.

You can listen to all the advice in the world about caliber, 1911, safeties. It wont matter. It wont matter when you are faced with the above situation. What will matter is how comfortable that gun feels in your hand. Controlled breathing, don't get tunnel vision, stay alert, stay ready. Have a plan. explain to your family how to react to something like this. It may seem ridiculous at the time but in the event of this actually becoming a reality, you will be better off.

I recommend you go to a shooting range and rent as many weapons as you can and try them all. Practice with it, get comfortable with it. Fire a few rounds off with no hearing protection indoors so you know how it feels at 2am in your living room. Train like you fight. Consider a light...
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:52 pm

Great stuff,ATX... But,most important of all...put rounds through the weapon... Lots of them.

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:49 am

Countertrey wrote:Great stuff,ATX... But,most important of all...put rounds through the weapon... Lots of them.

Especially whichever rounds you're going to use for defense. Don't buy a whole case of cheap range ammo and one small box of good defense ammo to throw in the nightstand. You have to shoot that stuff, too, so you know it will perform well in your gun.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:00 pm

Consider another dog first...a breed or mix that goes about 60 pounds or more and has a strong sense of defending its territory. I lived through a situation such as ATX describes. My dad worked rotating shifts at a PEPCO generating plant, so he got a small pistol for my mom. One night, they heard noises downstairs. He got the gun and crept down the stairs, puzzling over the gray light from our living room. He sprang down the last few steps...and found me, age four, asleep with my arms around our cocker spaniel and the TV running the test pattern. (Washington TV was not 24 hours a day back in the early '50s. After about midnight or one am, each channel ran a pattern that you used to sharpen focus.)

Point: a dog has better hearing and better sniffing than we do. Something odd will set them to barking, snarling, and charging toward the noise. From my experience in New York City, the last thing a burglar wants to face is a big, angry, woof-dog. That's what I found after a day-time burglar hit two apartments on the floor above mine. (Why burgle in the day-time? Less chance of people being home.). One neighbor got an Akita, who was peaceable but could tear you in half if she got angry. We got Molly, a mix of golden lab and something with guard-dog instincts. Molly allowed no one into the apartment unless one of use brought them in. The poor electric-meter reader gave up...had us record the readings. Whenever this Con Ed guy got off the elevator, Molly woke up, even if she was snoozing at the opposite end of the apartment. She ran down the front hallway, gathering speed, growling and snarling, until she jumped into the air, with a bang that shook the door and a bark that said "death to the invader". She would claw the door as if she thought she could claw though steel.

That was always enough.

When crack dealers too control of a block next to ours, I would take Molly to meet visitors, he was like an icebreaker: the dealers and crack-heads moved back to give us about a six-foot clearance. Each dealing crew had a young guy with a gun, but none of them wanted to battle an angry dog.

Consider a German Shepherd or some mix of border collie and something big. (Friend of mine keeps guns; his son is a police officer. His German Shepherd is the guard, though.)

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:29 pm

I'd want both... but the reality is, dogs require a life commitment that a handgun simply doesn't...
... and, I can use my gun to save my dog from an intruder who also has a gun.

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:33 pm

Get both. :rock:

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:45 pm

My advice would be to trust the dog first. Most burglars want money / valuables, but not a fight. Use a gun only if, as CT says, the burglar has shot the dog.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:51 pm

welch wrote:My advice would be to trust the dog first. Most burglars want money / valuables, but not a fight. Use a gun only if, as CT says, the burglar has shot the dog.

That's not quite what I meant. I love my dog... I'm shooting the burglar first...

cappster

Postby Cappster » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:50 pm

My dog is a Chow mix...presumably a chow and lab mix. He rarely ever barks and if he does, I know to check it out. I have an alarm, a 60 pound dog, and .40 Springfield XD (among other weapons of choice). I am not a paranoid person; however, I do know that someone breaking into my house is a possibility. I am not concerned with myself, per say, but I am totally for the safety of my child and will take measures to protect him the best I can. Responsible gun ownership is a positive thing, IMO. If someone tries to break into my house, they better be prepared for a battle on three different levels. A multilayered approach to security gives one the upper hand to deal with those who are not concerned for your safety.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

cappster

Postby Cappster » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:01 pm

I will also add that you need to identify your target first and foremost. I remember when I was about 13 or so, my brother came sneaking into the house about 7am after my dad left for work. I remember my mom saying, "You almost got shot" when he came upstairs to use the bathroom as she had heard him coming in the house and pulled out my Dad's gun. If she hadn't identified her target before pulling the trigger, she would've shot my brother. Always identify your target before you pull the trigger as it may be a loved one who is looking down the barrel of a gun.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:14 pm

Cappster wrote:I will also add that you need to identify your target first and foremost. I remember when I was about 13 or so, my brother came sneaking into the house about 7am after my dad left for work. I remember my mom saying, "You almost got shot" when he came upstairs to use the bathroom as she had heard him coming in the house and pulled out my Dad's gun. If she hadn't identified her target before pulling the trigger, she would've shot my brother. Always identify your target before you pull the trigger as it may be a loved one who is looking down the barrel of a gun.
True, that.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:45 pm

Cappster wrote:I will also add that you need to identify your target first and foremost. I remember when I was about 13 or so, my brother came sneaking into the house about 7am after my dad left for work. I remember my mom saying, "You almost got shot" when he came upstairs to use the bathroom as she had heard him coming in the house and pulled out my Dad's gun. If she hadn't identified her target before pulling the trigger, she would've shot my brother. Always identify your target before you pull the trigger as it may be a loved one who is looking down the barrel of a gun.

Yep. That was my Dad's lesson when he "cornered" me with a gun that night.

Somehow, dogs with guard-dog breeding seem to hear or smell or otherwise sense a person who does not belong within the dog's territory. Then they snarl and bark, and most burglars seem to have a dog-avoidance instinct. If the burglar wants a fight (unusual, but criminals don't do things because they are smart) then the dog can lead the way.

Return to The Lounge